Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Got me a leafer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Got me a leafer

I finally took the plunge and got a trail finder kit. Showed up saturday morning. Was so jacked to build it (even tho im waiting on electronics) i started building and came to the short conclusion that i was missing the leaf spring shackle bolts :( was to late to get a hold of rc4wd so i shot them an email. hopefully i can get them quickly so i can finish up the rolling chassis. But on another note i started the body work.(which i'm not very good at) laid paint today so should be solid dry in a couple days so i can glue stuff together. Going with a black and green theme. Not sure what i'm going to do on the body its self but its solid black for now. I'm sure i'll change my mind at some point and do something different. Again my paint work isn't the greatest but i'm going to wreck it anyway soooo... But enough talk i'll just slap some pictures down.
OMG its here

Sweet!

Look at all this stuff.

:( as far as i can go with out leaf springs

Broken

Forgot how much these suck to mount. And GREEN!!!

Primer and Black on

Three coats of clear done

lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Got me a leafer

I wasn't sure how the wheels would turn out but I think they turned out pretty good.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
M J
Rock Stacker

I don't know what you're talking about - your paintwork is fine. I've been on the fence on this kit for a while, too. Glad to see someone else buckled first!
M J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've been on the fence since before I bought my scx-10 lol everything I heard about the leafs was bad tho so I went with the scx but I've done more research and decided why not. Besides leafs are perfect for the blazer body I want to top it with.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
I like the green wheels!
Me three!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
I've been on the fence since before I bought my scx-10 lol everything I heard about the leafs was bad tho so I went with the scx but I've done more research and decided why not. Besides leafs are perfect for the blazer body I want to top it with.
Looks great, I might have done one coat of clear, going to get scraped up anyways. I don't see any runs or sags, you're doing well. The thing about leaf springs and hardbodies is the extra challenge of driving scale and making lines. Read all the stickies yet? New2rocks has a great build in here, there are several free and cheap mods that really help this sweet truck to shine. Helios high clearance skid is one of the first mods I'd recommend. IIRC they make a 'long' version too, but I like the short version here:
Low Profile Skid for TF2 (WLLTB9UNT) by HeliosRC
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I didn't see any runs either until after I started clearing the cab. I noticed two runs on under where the mirror goes on the passenger side and one right under the front corner of the passenger window. After I finished clearing I noticed a third on on the lower part of the door. All passenger side every other part of the truck is smooth �� Ah well like I said it'll get beat up anyways. I like to do things in three's for some reason it's got three coats of everything �� The skid was on my list of things to do shortly after I get it up and rolling. I like a good challenge and to slow crawl is what I like the most so this truck will be fun I think. I used to use the scale to make sure my sc10 wasn't under weight for my races now I mostly use it for shipping �� If comes In handy
Old 08-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I got some body work done today after work. Also siliconed my reciever to make it nice and waterproofed.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the TF2 club. The truck is looking great so far, and the green wheels add a nice touch. FYI - Nick and I are now selling the skid through our new company, BowHouse RC, available here:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/RGT...ionId=59908798

Same design. Now I just get to steal 1/2 the credit for it, LOL. You'll have a blast running this. Let us know if you have any questions.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:08 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

You can get them in different colors!? That's cool I guess that's a benefit of 3D printing ��
I ordered a white one btw

Last edited by lilws6; 08-17-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
You can get them in different colors!? That's cool I guess that's a benefit of 3D printing
I ordered a white one btw

Indeed. :-) Nick likes fancy. I like black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I ordered white so I can dye it lime green
Old 08-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Got the body together today (minus mirrors) having issues with my paint not liking the clear i used its a weird kind of soft. i've got marks from my masking tape used to hold the body together while the back was glued on and i'm leaving finger prints in the paint all over if i hold it long enough. Ah well never mixing paint brands again i guess. well on to the pics. I really like the way its turning out besides the issues with the paint.

tape marks

Old 08-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Got my leaf bolts from rc4wd yesterday. Got the truck all the way together tonight. I'm having two problems now. One i had to take the front bumper mount off the front to make the body sit down properly. The second problem i've got is the front shackles sit on the body not allowing the suspension to move. I've got to have something on wrong but i can't figure it out. the only two things i didn't follow the instructions on was i moved the steering bar above the leafs and i moved the front shocks to the back of the axle. neither thing i can think would throw this off maybe i'm wrong need a second or 12th opinion on what im doing wrong. Thanks again guys this truck is going to be fun i can tell ;)

Old 08-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

After looking at some pictures of others trucks i decided cutting the lower valence was the answer for the shackle issue. Thats all fixed up bumpers mounted. Then i decided to dabble in the art of brass work. I've always wanted to but never really had a reason to do it. On this truck i wanted a spare tire mount. so i decided i'd make a roll bar and spare mount. i think it turned out really well for my first time. I've got some coats of paint on it now but its not quite dry yet so no pictures of it painted quite yet ;)

Old 08-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Thanks first time working with brass I'm impressed my self it did take me roughly 3 hrs to do tho. I think I'll have to play around some more maybe make some bumpers ;)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #16

Sweet looking TF2. Welcome to the Mafia - Leaf Spring Mafia!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Roll bar painted and reinstalled. So far I'm liking this look.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Been a bit. Have one battery through the truck so far. Needed some tweaking. Added some scale things to the truck. And just today swapped out the wagons for some landies I think they look great. Probably a color change on roll bar and rear bumper. I'm sure I'll find more things to do yet.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Built a drop hitch and receiver for the tf2 today. Waiting on paint to dry

Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Great job on the hitch .Your like me run the thing once every 4 month.
how are those Mud Thrasher do they work well for stock..
I also ordered a set of Landies for mine....
Now Just waiting for the TF2 and other goodies to arrive....
Keep up the great work....
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Got me a leafer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1993 Chevrolet Leafer Abednego 2.2 Scale Rigs 37 02-06-2010 07:56 PM
scx10 leafer? Venturestein Newbie General 1 05-05-2009 11:11 AM
xc-01 leafer hairba11 1.9 Scale Rigs 18 11-15-2008 01:51 PM
Rubicon - WK Leafer kdubb88 HPI Wheely King 19 05-27-2007 10:29 PM