Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: RC4WD's NEW TF2 LWB by 1BadDollHouseJerpBuilder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 07:23 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WD's NEW TF2 LWB by 1BadDollHouseJerpBuilder

Very nicely done sir.

I have been watching this build for a while and now that my TF2 has the R4 transmission, I can start stealing ideas for the engine bay.

One actual tech question though. The front bumper appears to be a more recent addition, would you mind showing how you mounted it with the Bruiser shackles? The shackle reversal is definitely on my TF2 to do list.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #42
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Very nicely done sir.

I have been watching this build for a while and now that my TF2 has the R4 transmission, I can start stealing ideas for the engine bay.

One actual tech question though. The front bumper appears to be a more recent addition, would you mind showing how you mounted it with the Bruiser shackles? The shackle reversal is definitely on my TF2 to do list.
Sure, as you know this bumper technically isn't designed for this chassis however making it work is quite simple. I will say that doing the shackle reversal mod is must because if you have the shackles up front making the bumpers mount the way I did would interfere with the suspension.

Basically, all I did was make some very simple mounts using aluminum from my stock pile of old TLT-1 chassis plates. I traced the Bruiser front shackle mounting points onto it, then roughed out an estimated shape, cut with the hack saw and then drilled and slotted the holes as necessary. After I got the mounting down I went back with a file and cleaned them up as necessary and hit them with some black paint.
Attached Images

1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #43
RCC Addict

I just started my TF2 LWB chassis build and I can't seem to figure out how you mounted the transmission and transfer case with the crossmember over instead of under. Like in this pic you posted earlier.

Do you have any closer pics of the transmission and transfer case mounts cause clearly I'm missing something or my kit contains different parts from yours? I'm also curious what the drive line ended up looking like as well. I can't figure out how you mounted the transmission cross member over the trans and did not have to use the bearing support. Any specific info on this mount configuration would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Inspector86; 12-13-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #44
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I just started my TF2 LWB chassis build and I can't seem to figure out how you mounted the transmission and transfer case with the crossmember over instead of under. Like in this pic you posted earlier.

Do you have any closer pics of the transmission and transfer case mounts cause clearly I'm missing something or my kit contains different parts from yours? I'm also curious what the drive line ended up looking like as well. I can't figure out how you mounted the transmission cross member over the trans and did not have to use the bearing support. Any specific info on this mount configuration would be greatly appreciated!
The hanger bearing really isnt necessary. Do you have pics of yours so I can see whats going on? feel free to post them here
Old 01-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #45
Sinking with the ship

So Ultimate Scale Truck Expo is right around the corner and the mad dash to finish this rig is upon me. Ive spent several hours on the wiring for all the lighting and been trying to wrap up the engine bay. With some assistance from Tim Bloore (AKA VS_Customs) I have some accurate scale washer/coolant jugs coming my way. They are 3d printed in clear and the best part is you a can actually fill them up with a liquid! some water with a drop of food coloring and its going to look like there is actual washer fluid and coolant in them. Tim did a great job replicating them based off the pics of my 1:1 83 Hilux.

I finished up my snorkel system as well, the air box lid is removable for servicing the filter, completely unnecessary but I think its the details like that which matter most. Battery is in courtesy of Pro-Line Racing with a scratch built hold down and tray. I still need to add a coil pack, which on the truck from the factory mounts to inner well so I am struggling with that. I also want to add the heater core lines as well, another struggle. Its difficult to nail down some details while making the body removable. You'll also notice the addition of the CChand roof rack with lights, found it very fitting for the build.

I decided to take the truck outside for some shots, using the iPhone portrait mode. the pics came out sweet. You'll notice a swapped the rear bumper for an RC4WD WARN rear bumper that I drilled out for a hitch system so I can tow thew new MOAB trailer I scooped from RC4WD, I also was lucky enough to win one of these from SBG too! Really stoked about that as these things are super nice and realistic.

Another cool thing is I am officially a guest speaker for the Ultimate Scale Truck Expo, which I am very honored and humbled to be ask to do so. So if there wasnt enough reason already to attend USTE now you can listen to me rant about doll house trucks :laughing:

https://www.ultimatescaletruckexpo.com/speakers
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Really awesome build, the engine bay details are just insane.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #47
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Really awesome build, the engine bay details are just insane.
Thanks man, looking forward to wrapping it up
Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #48

What an amazing build! Very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RattleKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:58 AM   #49
Sinking with the ship

Help me out with some votes!

http://woobox.com/4hwhog/gallery/yHKwkBZUxYo
Old 01-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Voted! Beautiful
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Voted!!!!! Looks awesome. Great job overall.
THUG LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #52
Sinking with the ship

Sooooo I was super busy the passed few weeks leading up to this past weekend, I was working a lot of overtime while trying to get this finished up for the USTE 2018 in Florida. It started off with having to finalize my engine compartment details, there was actually quite a bit left and they were gonna be the harder to do items because the body still has come off. I started with the overflow radiator hose to the newly installed VS_Customs Hilux Coolant/washer jugs by Tim Bloore. I added some small styrene tube to each side of the jug cap and that allows me to pop it out for body removal. I then did heater hose valve and heater hoses and added a spot for it to attach too on the engine, which also had to be quick release. The final engine detail was the coil pack with on the real truck is attached to the fender, my solution to this was to use some small earth magnets, the coil itself was just some styrene I tossed together to look the part.

Lastly, I wanted to do brake and brake line details. For the rear, I used some picture hanging wire for the 3/16 metal line part, and detail master braided line for the flex hose from the chassis to the axle. The brake drum system is the old drink cap trick that I did on my blue lux many years back. The cap is press fit over the hex area in the boom racing wheels and I make the back plate a snug fit over the axle and secure with shoe goo type glue. I then detailed the back plate with hardware from scale off road I’ve had left over for years so it had the bleeder valve and hold down pins showing. A slot in the bottom for the star adjuster. I drilled and tape the axle for the soft line mount from the chassis to the axle. I then tapped the styrene for a longer then normal grub screw and glued the braided line into it followed up with some heat shrink. A detail I feel like is often over looked, even by myself, is the fill and drain plug and vent tube on the Yota axles. On the 1:1 the plugs are large, require a 22mm socket, so the locked up scale 3mm hardware is perfect. Using some scale hardware I robbed from a crappy set of Chinese wheels they serve the purpose for the vent tube.

I then headed out to the USTE 2018, I am extremely proud to have for the second year in a row won the GCM Racing show and shine gallery "Best Detail" award, I also won "Best Engine Bay" to which I am very humbled considering the level of builds that were in attendance. I then got it out on some trails, it was fun but extremely challenging with the trailer. It did also provide for some great photos.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Insane detail!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

I think the words "insane detail" have not been used enough!. And proven by your wins.

Thanks for sharing.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

I have a picture that you posted as my screen saver (hope you don't mind). Another driver at my job saw it and asked where can he buy a 4-door 'yota like that. When I told him it was an rc, he didn't believe me til I showed him the build thread.
That is how scale and awesome this build is.

Wayne
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:05 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Wow Mike, killer work. I stumbled upon this picture and had to find the build thread. I haven't been doing much R/C over the past few years but am looking to build a new rig. There's so many cool new parts, kits, bodies, etc, out now it's almost overwhelming.

dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #57
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Wow Mike, killer work. I stumbled upon this picture and had to find the build thread. I haven't been doing much R/C over the past few years but am looking to build a new rig. There's so many cool new parts, kits, bodies, etc, out now it's almost overwhelming.

Hey Buddy, glad to see your still around. The hobby has grown tremendously the past few years for sure! There are so many options, not like in our early days.

You still have the Lovell truck? I love that freakin thing
Old 02-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #58
RCC Addict

For sure, thanks. And no doubt!

Haha thank you, I definitely admire your work and have gotten tons of inspiration from what you've done with the hobby and setting 'the bar' for what is scale, so it means a lot. I do still have it, I dust it off every few months . I plan on giving it some love here soon. I'm currently working on a new 1.9 buggy build based off the same chassis. I posted it in the 1.9 scale section, there's not a whole lot to see but it is a roller and getting there.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:31 AM   #59
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
For sure, thanks. And no doubt!

Haha thank you, I definitely admire your work and have gotten tons of inspiration from what you've done with the hobby and setting 'the bar' for what is scale, so it means a lot. I do still have it, I dust it off every few months . I plan on giving it some love here soon. I'm currently working on a new 1.9 buggy build based off the same chassis. I posted it in the 1.9 scale section, there's not a whole lot to see but it is a roller and getting there.

Right on man, ill peep it now
Old 03-02-2019, 06:30 AM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Beautiful build. Wow man!
Z0MB13 is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WD's NEW TF2 LWB by 1BadDollHouseJerpBuilder - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The long-awaited LWB TF2 by new2rocks new2rocks RC4WD Trail Finder 2 70 06-28-2017 11:11 AM
***NEW*** TF2 Mojave II "LWB" Kit SteveC6R RC4WD Trail Finder 2 24 10-29-2016 05:05 AM
RC4WD's Pricing steelbed Chit Chat 19 10-15-2011 02:20 AM
RC4WD's website?????????????? bob1961 Chit Chat 9 04-06-2011 05:00 AM
RC4WD's 1.55 on the MRC Mutant_Xj Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 08-27-2009 10:55 AM