Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Just bought RTR TF2 Mojave II Have Some Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just bought RTR TF2 Mojave II Have Some Questions

So looking at stock steering angles and even with the XVD upgrade on the Yota 1's I am thinking I may want to upgrade to the Yota II Axles up front and get the XVD's for that to get 45 Degree turning angle. My question than becomes, as I am most likely going to wind up going with 3 link/panhard and 4 link in the rear, in the front with the Yota II Axle would I be able to use the 3link/panhard that is made for the TF2 or would I need to get a different set? If I need a different front end 3link/pandhard set what do I need to get? Also forgot but would I need to get the steering link set for the Yota II as it will obviously have quite a bit tighter steering radius.

Going to be running a set of 1.9 Pro-Line Hyrax Tires as well, will I need to do anything to get those set up and working, ex. Body Lift Kit etc.

Attempting to get it as close as I can to the performance that my SCX10 II Kit has. Of course my 10.2 has way different electronics, HH 2700kv Motor, Castle MMP and a Hitec 7950TH which trump the stock electronics in the RTR but will work on upgrading all of that down the line probably starting with the Servo which will probably feel quite weak considering but at least it is a starting point after I get everything else tweaked the way I like.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Just bought RTR TF2 Mojave II Have Some Questions

Well now that is Cool !!! I just bought the TF2 Kit last night too with a whole bunch of other crap to get it to run plus some extra add on.....
I also was thinking to try the 3link/4 link set up but all i own here are link set up on my rigs,so i figure it's time for a leaf spring set up.....

JM2C i would do the leaf set up first to see if you like it or not..If you don't like it change it up.
I here once you try it you'll love it,unless you already tried the leaf spring set up already
That's another thing i wanted to buy for the TF2 was the 1.9 hydra's but the height might be a problem to so i went with..
Mickey Thompson 1.55" Baja ATZ P3 Scale Tires
Rc4wd MT 1.55 at 4.22 OD high....and stock Muds are are 3.67 OD
Can't wait to see your set up and what you come up with.
Are you starting a build thread......
I will be starting a build as soon as get this Money pit in my hands.
Peace...
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Well now that is Cool !!! I just bought the TF2 Kit last night too with a whole bunch of other crap to get it to run plus some extra add on.....
I also was thinking to try the 3link/4 link set up but all i own here are link set up on my rigs,so i figure it's time for a leaf spring set up.....

JM2C i would do the leaf set up first to see if you like it or not..If you don't like it change it up.
I here once you try it you'll love it,unless you already tried the leaf spring set up already
That's another thing i wanted to buy for the TF2 was the 1.9 hydra's but the height might be a problem to so i went with..
Mickey Thompson 1.55" Baja ATZ P3 Scale Tires
Rc4wd MT 1.55 at 4.22 OD high....and stock Muds are are 3.67 OD
Can't wait to see your set up and what you come up with.
Are you starting a build thread......
I will be starting a build as soon as get this Money pit in my hands.
Peace...

Mine will be the RTR version so pretty much already fully put together though I will of course need to check screws and the axles etc. for proper grease. I may post up things as I change out parts such as the front axle to the Yota II's. Also yes you are right, I am going to give leaf suspension a shot before I do anything just to see if it is something I can deal with. Already have the 1.9 tires/wheels on the way along with the TF2 so pretty much set to go that route once I figure out if I need to do some sort of lift or what not. Going to attempt to somehow relocate the batteries I have to the truck bed so I don't have to be constantly removing a Hard Body shell. Not quite sure how I am going to do that yet but I think I have heard of people doing that successfully by using a toolbox type thing in the bed. Would of course prefer the battery to be mounted right over the front wheels but I don't think I have seen that done, nor am I sure how you would even be able to accomplish that.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Doesn't the yota II axles come in both Kit and RTR versions.it sounded like your going to change the front axles....
Also maybe if you buy a small 3S 2200 Mah battery it small and may fit in front on the side i know its tight there,but I'm sure will find out what the rest of the TF2 family is doing......
i think the way RC4wd relocated the motor up front will be enough weight for me and add 3Oz more in the wheels should be fine and leave the battery nice and low in the rear,but that's me...
i ordered the kit version and looking forward to make it my own....
chin chin...
Now i need name.....
Old 01-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Doesn't the yota II axles come in both Kit and RTR versions.it sounded like your going to change the front axles....
Also maybe if you buy a small 3S 2200 Mah battery it small and may fit in front on the side i know its tight there,but I'm sure will find out what the rest of the TF2 family is doing......
i think the way RC4wd relocated the motor up front will be enough weight for me and add 3Oz more in the wheels should be fine and leave the battery nice and low in the rear,but that's me...
i ordered the kit version and looking forward to make it my own....
chin chin...
Now i need name.....
Actually the Kit and the RTR come with Yota I Axles hence the reason I am most likely going to switch at least the front to the Yota II Axles so I can get the 45 Degree steering Radius, though even than you need to get the XVD's to get there, all in all I think I priced that mod at around $100 if I recall correctly. Just not sure if I need to do some sort of mods to get that axle running on the TF2.

I mean sure I could get the XVD's for the Yota I but that's only 36.5 degrees up from the stock 32 degree steering angle.

Only a couple of reasons I decided to go RTR this time around, one being I really don't feel like trying to deal with putting together the body. From what I have read it can be a massive Pain in the @#$. Also didn't feel like having to go ahead and get 2 servos as I do not feel that I will really ever use the 2 speed transmission and would have most likely wound up swapping it out for the single speed or locking the 2 speed as others have done. Considering what I am looking at doing to the RTR it may as well just be a pre-built kit for me at this point lol. Most likely going to eventually Re-Paint the body, easy enough though, used to do a lot of Models when I was younger and from what I can tell the body is more or less the same as a model, just get me some testors paint and go at it, though first will sand it down with a medium grit sand paper than primer than sand again with a coarse grit and than paint and probably throw a couple coats of clear coat on it to give it a nice shiny finish. Really not into spray painting as I feel I have more control over streaks and runs with a brush, than again that could be because I used to be a painter at one point for a living.

Also yeah most likely will have enough weight up front with the motor being up there, but still the more weight forward the better if your going up steeper inclines, though time will tell of course. Mine should most likely get to me from Tower by Wednesday as it was shipped today and usually only takes 2 days to get to me. LoL kinda wish I still lived in Illinois, I'd probably be driving myself to them .

Last edited by malickie; 01-16-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

holy crap that the reason mostly why i ordered the TF2 kit is for more up graded part then the RTR version Like Axial does..
That why i bought the TF2 Kit Is for the yota II axles how did i not see that on RC4WD web site......Damm
Any idea what the difference would be for both axles

Well i just might have to replace the yota II from my Mack Attack 6x6 i just finish and do a switcharoo.....Now more faking home work to do.....
Old 01-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
holy crap that the reason mostly why i ordered the TF2 kit is for more up graded part then the RTR version Like Axial does..
That why i bought the TF2 Kit Is for the yota II axles how did i not see that on RC4WD web site......Damm
Any idea what the difference would be for both axles

Well i just might have to replace the yota II from my Mack Attack 6x6 i just finish and do a switcharoo.....Now more faking home work to do.....
They run $80 a piece on rc4wd, than if you add in the XVD's for the front axle add another $40 plus if I am correct you need to get the steering linkage for the front which costs another $11, so looks like around $230 after taxes or somewhere around there.

RC4WD isn't quite like Axial, someone actually did a comparison of a D90 Kit vs RTR and the Kit would have wound up actually costing More than the RTR to get it to the point that the RTR was. So interestingly it seems like RC4WD RTR's are actually a little bit more hopped up than their Kits are. Of course that does depend a lot upon electronics as well. I mean as is I am going to most likely wind up eventually swapping out all of the electronics from the RTR, I just felt that getting the base RTR was a better option for me as I have a lack of time to actually put this project together, have a toddler so having a lot of time doesn't really happen lately. The SCX10 II Kit was actually fairly easy to put together and didn't take much time but looking around I noticed that this one would have taken more time than I probably have, and even still I am going to have to mostly break it down to check and make sure everything is secured and greased properly.

Last edited by malickie; 01-16-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Well after looking on what set up i have on the 6x6 compared to the yota 1 are in fact yota II ultimate scale.

Yota II Ultimate Scale Cast Axle (Front)

Yota II Ultimate Scale Cast Axle (Rear)

Yota II Ultimate Scale Cast Axle (Center Rear)
Now i have to check to see what the difference are between them....
Sorry RC4wd Newbie..................
Old 01-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well after looking on what set up i have on the 6x6 compared to the yota 1 are in fact yota II ultimate scale.

Yota II Ultimate Scale Cast Axle (Rear)

Yota II Ultimate Scale Cast Axle (Center Rear)
Now i have to check to see what the difference are between them....
Sorry RC4wd Newbie..................
All you would need to do from what I gather is take the front and rear and get the XVD (Part Number:Z-S0823) and Steering Link Set (Part Number:Z-S093 and you should be good to go, I am brand new to RC4WD so I know how you feel.

I honestly have no idea what the difference between the 2 axles are but the ones you have look like they should be a direct fit when I read the description, the $80 ones say nothing about fitting a TF2.

Edit: Just figured it out, the $80 ones are for a 6x5/8x8 because the have outdrives on both ends, so yeah those ones won't work for a TF2 regardless. Guess I will have to wait for the correct ones to come back in stock or see if someone has a set in the Wanted Section.

Last edited by malickie; 01-16-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #10
RCC Addict

i found this comparison....
Yota

yota II

and the yota II having the extra hole on top and being wider..
Sorry to clutter your work space...
Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So than the question I guess is will the Yota II just drop in without any modification needed. Anyone done this, or have knowledge of whether it will work or not, any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

RC4WD Yota2 front axle specs, hex to hex 179.4mm:

TF2 RTR specs, hex to hex 176.5mm:
RC4WD Trail Finder 2 RTR w/Mojave II Body Set

Looks to be only 3.1mm and iirc they are a bolt in swap for the most part. Why not try the standard Yota axles they come with first? And try the leaf springs as you're going to, TF2 requires different driving and more skill than SCX linked up suspension.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, it will be driven stock for awhile anyway, and unless 1.9's can bolt right up easily gonna most likely be using stock tires for awhile as well. Still thinking I am more than likely going to swap out to the yota ii for the steering angle.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well, got my TF2 RTR yesterday, than because of the stupid zip ties wound up stabbing myself with a pair of scissors and got 5 stitches in my forearm so not gonna be doing much to it for a few days until the pain I have subsides a bit. On a side note the wife likes it though she was a bit upset seeing all the blood all over the house. Cut so bad had to call 911 and have them transport me to the ER as no one was home and I was with my 2 year old, luckily all my 2 year old cared about was cleaning up the bloody mess I had on the floor lol. Hell with Dad Bleeding Clean it, waaah . At any rate love the look of it but first once I can get better control of my left arm I will need to snip the Battery Connector and solder on an XT90 Connector, than need to go around and check screws and such. Also got my Hyrax Tires, won't fit the RC4WD Wheels I got but the wheels do fit my KLR Voodoo tires so I will be using the Wheels that are currently on my Voodoo Tires on the Hyrax Tires and vice versa. Looking at the size of the Hyrax and Voodoo Tires I may put the voodoo Tires on my TF2 and or my Mickey Thompson 1.9 Baja Claw 4.19" Tires, they are only slightly bigger than the stock.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Sorry to here about that your scary dilemma.I know if it was me I'd be freaking out.Just thank god it wasn't more then 5 stitches,kinda of sucks but it could have been worse and other thing thank god for 911...
On a positive note it's good thing you got the rtr rather then the kit now you don't have to build it......
Also never new they made XT90 i use XT60 on all my rigs and they almost look the same except for the wall thickness of the plastic housing..
For the tires can't help you there but new wheels to fit those tires..
Well get well soon....
Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Yea, it coulda been much worse. As for XT90, I wasn't aware of them either until I got 2 Arrma Vehicles that have them, than I switched everything over to them to keep things simple with batteries. Only real difference between XT90 and XT60 is that the XT90 can handle more current and are a little bigger than the XT60 connectors.

Last edited by malickie; 01-19-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Alrighty than, looks like I need to replace two things pretty much immediately on the RTR version. 1st up the ESC, it can take Lipo batteries but the darn thing has no Lipo Cutoff, 2nd would be the Servo, feels a bit lacking consider it is only 153 oz in at 6v. Probably gonna get a HH SHV500 and put that in my SCX10 II Kit and move the Hitec 7950TH that is in my 10.2 to the TF2.

Or I suppose I could just get a little Lipo Alarm until I replace the ESC. I mean really, it is 2017 right, pretty sure they released the RTR in 2016 if I recall correctly, why in the hell are they still using ESC's that have No Lipo Cutoff....
Old 01-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Well now that sucks..you would think they would have updated that part of the electronics...Now I'm glad i got the kit version and being that you got 50 bucks worth of electronics in the RTR.....
You could always take it out for run and use a battery checker.
The alarms are frigging loud....
EDIT : 60.00
Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Just sent a message to RC4WD telling them how annoying that is, wonder what the response will be. Probably some stupid thing like to save money, which in their case would only equate to a few cents really .
Old 01-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

From my experience with both the Yota 1 and Yota 2 axles, the Yota 1's are more durable. The steering knuckles on the Yota 2's are pretty weak. I've popped the ones on my Gelande 2 Cruiser twice now not even trailing... I upgraded the guts of both front and rear axles with HD gears, XVD's, shimmed and greased them accordingly and never looked back. RTR isn't a bad thing, but you'll wish you got the kit. That 2-speed tranny is a life-saver. I also found my TF2 to be more stable with the leaves. It may not have scx10 "flex", but you don't really need it with the Trailfinder, if that makes any sense. The only suspension upgrades I've done are the G2 front shock hoops, 90mm shocks all around, and Bruiser shackles and hangers. Any of my buddies I went to G6 with will vouch that my TF2 can hang.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote

Just bought RTR TF2 Mojave II Have Some Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TF2 Mojave fitment? akatz Axial SCX10 II 2 06-06-2016 03:54 PM