Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Bigfoot 6 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Bigfoot IV Build

So I have always been a fan on the older monster trucks from the mid to late 80's and my fav was always Bigfoot. I remember seeing Bigfoot 4 and 6 as a kid, So I decided to make a scale version of the truck. It is still in the beginning stages, but here are some pics. Still have not lifted the truck yet as I am waiting on the hardware plus I am getting the scale Blackwell axles.

Chassis is a RC4WD Trailfinder 2, the wheels I will be using are Jconcepts Tribute wheels, and I will be putting Firestorm tires on it. Engine is RC4WD as well, but I am modding it to be as close tot he real thing as possible. Need to find a 1/10 scale supercharger as I have found the predator carbs.

I have been a huge Jim Kramer and Bob Chandler fan since the 80's.

I forgot I had some old Clod tires in the basement from a long time ago. Thank god they were old because the glue on them was brittle and made it easy to pull the rims off. I wanted these for this project instead of the firestorm tires because they are more period correct. I had to modify them to make them fit on the new rims. I also painted the nuts on the inside to give it more detail and added the strip like the ones Bigfoot 6 had.

I ordered a disrupter transfer case as I needed the axles to be centered. I know it wont fit the TF2 perfect, but I can modify it to work. Also got the exhaust headers in and installed. I went with a red stripe on the wheels as it is more accurate (The real Bigfoot stripes were actually a rainbow of colors, but from far away it looks red). I am modifying the tread to be more accurate as well by rounding the inside edges.

Next is waiting on the LWB frame rails and the new transfer case. After that I am going to install the blackwell axles and get/fabricate new thicker leafsprings and also make the u-bolts with lift blocks. Currently looking for high-def pics so I know where to do the blue pin-striping on the chassis.

Last edited by Bigfoot 4; 02-25-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Bigfoot 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #2

Default Re: Bigfoot 6 build

This is going to be epic! Subscribed.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm also a Classic Bigfoot fan!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Love it so far, keep the updates coming!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yo, this is legit. Keep going. Can't wait to see this one progress. That motor is gorgeous.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Too bad it is not a true Ford engine, but didn't have a choice.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

OH. MY. GOD.

this is and will be the most radical looking MT build i have ever seen. seriously, all the RTR MT kits from traxxas and axial and... i think MST just did one... got NOTHING on this!!! sure maybe different periods of MT but still this is just... damn i want one (but maybe BF1 or BF2).
*okay i just googled a bunch of different BF's from 1 all the way to... whats this?! RETRO Bigfoot 3?!?! YES! a tube chassis MT with a retro fiberglass shell version of a 79 ford body!!! AWESOME!!!!

okay. getting a grip here...

you going to use a Jconcepts body i assume?

Last edited by Shinchu; 10-24-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
you going to use a Jconcepts body i assume?
Yes, but I am going to use styrene to build the rest of the undercarriage and interior. I want to cut the hood and make it open forwards like the original. Also will make the rear bed separate. I am hoping it will look ok with the 313 LWB chassis as the regular chassis looks weird with the big tires. Makes it seem like a SWB.

I am using the Boomracing LWB kit because it looks smoother and also was a heck of a lot cheaper than the stock RC4WD LWB chassis kit.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

you using a supercab? i have the 79 body and its only 11 inches long. also the cab to bed transition has a slight bit of that weird angle to help support the lexan, its not a perfect 90 corner so it might be hard to separate the bed from the cab.
when you say boom racing LWB, you mean the chassis? i thought it was an RC4WD? what boom racing parts are you using?
Old 10-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Default Bigfoot 6 build

The jconcepts 89 body says it has an 11 inch wheelbase, and the LWB chassis is around 12, so I am thinking that I can center the body with that little extra space between the bed and cab. I know it will be hard, but I am going to extremely modify the body and use styrene to make the supports, undercarriage, firewall, and other bits, etc. After I do all of that I will use rubber bumpers and hardware to attach it to the frame rails like the original. Going to also make a metal frame for the hood for support and to swing it forward.

It is a RC4WD, but I am using the boomracing frame rails.

So the Disruptor transfer case came in. I had to take it apart and modify the inside. It was, for a lack of better words, backwards, so I had to move and modify the top shaft and move it to the bottom, etc. What is pictured is just a mock-up, but I am waiting for the new frame rails before I modify anything else.

There is a small gap on both sides, but instead of just making spacers, I will create a block that will also hold/be a link point for the the top parts of the 2 link system.

I modified the transmission mount, installed the longer frame rails, and drilled new mounting holes for the new transfer case.

This is just a mock-up. Still have some grinding and finishing to do.

I think I have the stance where I want it. Just need to get to making the lift blocks and u-bolts.

Here is a a quick mock-up with an old TMAXX body I have. I measured and it is an inch longer (wheelbase) than the Jconcepts body. Might have to sculpt a small extension for the bed with some styrene, which shouldn't be too difficult. Sorry for the mess in the background. It is the basement after all .

Last edited by THX_138; 11-25-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
Sinking with the ship

Really rad build, cant wait to see it evolve more
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Default Bigfoot 6 build

I have searched with no avail...anyone know where I can find the Parma 1988-89 bigfoot 1/10 decals? There is a set on ebay, but it is incomplete.

Decided to wrap the headers like racers do. Adds just a bit of more detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot 4 View Post
I have searched with no avail...anyone know where I can find the Parma 1988-89 bigfoot 1/10 decals? There is a set on ebay, but it is incomplete.
Need some info on this, also anyone know Bob Chandler or Jim Kramer? Would love to know their opinion and maybe help with some small details. Hard to find good quality pics from 1980's VHS tapes!

Really dislike the chevy engine, but it is the only one I have to work with. Right now the only thing that gives it away are the exhaust headers and heads.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-25-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Need some info on this, also anyone know Bob Chandler or Jim Kramer? Would love to know their opinion and maybe help with some small details. Hard to find good quality pics from 1980's VHS tapes!

Really dislike the chevy engine, but it is the only one I have to work with. Right now the only thing that gives it away are the exhaust headers and heads.
Not to direct you to Facebook, but Chandler is on Facebook. There are also groups specializing in old monster trucks such as The Old U.S.H.R.A. that would be able to get you more info and photos.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Not to direct you to Facebook, but Chandler is on Facebook. There are also groups specializing in old monster trucks such as The Old U.S.H.R.A. that would be able to get you more info and photos.

Thanks. I hate facebook, ugh, but I will look. I will also look up USHRA.

I am having a hard time finding the Parma Bigfoot decals. Anyone know where I could get a set, or someone that make repros?

Last edited by THX_138; 11-25-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #15

Quote:
I am having a hard time finding the Parma Bigfoot decals. Anyone know where I could get a set, or someone that make repros?
eBay or MCI Racing. MCI Racing is in Canada, but they ship pretty quickly. The decals are reproduction and the quality leaves a lot to be desired, IMO, but I don't think there are any alternatives out there. I'm not sure they have the exact decals you're looking for though.

Oh and another place is the groups on Facebook dedicated to old school RCs or monster truck RCs.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
eBay or MCI Racing. MCI Racing is in Canada, but they ship pretty quickly. The decals are reproduction and the quality leaves a lot to be desired, IMO, but I don't think there are any alternatives out there. I'm not sure they have the exact decals you're looking for though.

Oh and another place is the groups on Facebook dedicated to old school RCs or monster truck RCs.
Thanks. I already look at ebay, no luck, and I looked at MCI, but no Bigfoot.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks. I already look at ebay, no luck, and I looked at MCI, but no Bigfoot.
Interesting. They must have gotten a letter from a lawyer or else they'd have Bigfoot.

ROWDY RACING might know if you PM him. If not Old School RC or Showtime RC Monster Trucks (not sure of the exact group name for this one) on Facebook.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #18

What about the Traxxas decals? Are they anything close to Bigfoot 6?
Old 11-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Default Bigfoot 6 build

Kinda. The parma ones are almost spot on, almost. The Traxxas ones are kinda cartoon looking and Bigfoot 1 has different graphics on the rear than Bigfoot 2-6.

Got the aluminum stock for the lift blocks, suspension drop pieces and the u-bolt plates.

The axles finally came in. Starting to make the u-bolts. First one is a prototype to size it up.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-25-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

just trying to figure out which version you are after... i typed 1988 bigfoot in google images and is it this one?
most noticeable difference on the graphics are the "4x4x4" is like a "wild" font, instead of a block letter font like BF1.

the four link nationals were just covered in the latest RC Car action, and they are all about scale monster trucks lately. they drop some names and resources in the article. look for the RC Car action with the TRX4 Tactical on the cover. i have it but I'm at work right now. will see if i can post some resources later when i get home. might have to get those decals custom made somehow...

man this build is seriously so awesome!

*YIKES i just checked on jconcpets website and if you are indeed doing this version, the 89 ford body they have is a 10.5" wheelbase! might have to hack some frame off!?!

** was that you on RCMT.net asking about parma bigfoot decals? posting as bigfootfan?

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-15-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Bigfoot 6 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bigfoot RoadKing Mega/Monster Trucks 17 02-09-2018 02:49 PM
CPE barbarian build Supercab Bigfoot Zac_F71 Non Crawler RC's 17 08-01-2015 03:27 PM
Please help Bigfoot! jason Chit Chat 19 04-23-2005 02:12 PM