Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: IVIaarten builds a rustless TF2 LWB with LC70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2017, 05:47 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default IVIaarten builds a rustless TF2 LWB with LC70

After building a SCX10-2 kit, and a Twin Hammers kit, it's finally time for my first leaf sprung truck, and with a hardbody to boot.

Current state of the build, will update this first picture occasionally. Read below how it

Let's start off;

I was lucky enough to find a TF2 kit with the killerbody LC70 in Belgium (was in the neighborhood, and RC4WD stuff is very hard to find here in the Netherlands).

The correct mounting hardware is supplied in the bundle, so that'll help getting the body to not sit super high. I'll also most likely will drop the suspension as much as possible.

Looking forward to getting this thing built.

Update 1:

I'm guessing most of you have seen TF2 builds, so not going to bore you too much, but I thought I'd show off some of the details of de LC70 mounting kit, since that's different.

Have to move some stuff around from the standard, and use the supplied crossmember and 2 trays instead of the normal fuel cell.

As you can see the rear bumper mount has been replaced as well. All metal, apart from the trays (which look machined as well, but that could just be the mold, not sure).

A little problem I ran into during the build; when attaching the driveline extension for the LWB, it seems that the extension shaft doesn't quite line up with the bearing / bearing brace, making the transfer case run rough. Anyone ran into this before?

Last edited by IVIaarten; 08-14-2017 at 11:05 AM.
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My first hardbody - TF2 with LC70

Subscribed! Nice you bought a TF2

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GEM-702L met Tapatalk
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My first hardbody - TF2 with LC70

It's coming together great. Did some shimming on the axles. The axles seemed to have plenty of grease, but the transfer case needed some extra.

Solved the alignment issue with quite a bit of precision filing / sanding (first thing that didn't fit correctly in this kit).

Took some elbow grease but it's smooth as butter now.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My first hardbody - TF2 LWB with LC70

I just deleted the carrier bracket .. mine was also kinda notchy..i run 107-142mm hot racing driveshafts .. Next size down would be better in front and next size up in rear(with carrier removed) they work fine as is just personally would get different sizes (I had mine sittin around hence they were used lol)
Fatman489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman489 View Post
I just deleted the carrier bracket .. mine was also kinda notchy..i run 107-142mm hot racing driveshafts .. Next size down would be better in front and next size up in rear(with carrier removed) they work fine as is just personally would get different sizes (I had mine sittin around hence they were used lol)

Ah yeh, can always omit it of course. Getting the little first shaft to fit was pretty fiddly as well, but managed to sort it out.

Started work on the next puzzle as well:

Everything looks great, apart from this:

Mold didn't fill correctly I guess :(
Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

That sucks lol but atleast there's a sticker to cover it with
Fatman489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIaarten View Post
After building a SCX10-2 kit, and a Twin Hammers kit, it's finally time for my first leaf sprung truck, and with a hardbody to boot.

I was lucky enough to find a TF2 kit with the killerbody LC70 in Belgium (was in the neighborhood, and RC4WD stuff is very hard to find here in the Netherlands).

The correct mounting hardware is supplied in the bundle, so that'll help getting the body to not sit super high. I'll also most likely will drop the suspension as much as possible.

Looking forward to getting this thing built.

Update 1:

I'm guessing most of you have seen TF2 builds, so not going to bore you too much, but I thought I'd show off some of the details of de LC70 mounting kit, since that's different.

Have to move some stuff around from the standard, and use the supplied crossmember and 2 trays instead of the normal fuel cell.

As you can see the rear bumper mount has been replaced as well. All metal, apart from the trays (which look machined as well, but that could just be the mold, not sure).

A little problem I ran into during the build; when attaching the driveline extension for the LWB, it seems that the extension shaft doesn't quite line up with the bearing / bearing brace, making the transfer case run rough. Anyone ran into this before?

Sounds like you already solved it but all Rc4wd kits I've built are a little funny in this area. I just don't tighten anything down in that whole area until everything is connected and spinning smooth. Then go in and tighten down the skid plate, transfer case, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
windycityblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycityblues View Post
Sounds like you already solved it but all Rc4wd kits I've built are a little funny in this area. I just don't tighten anything down in that whole area until everything is connected and spinning smooth. Then go in and tighten down the skid plate, transfer case, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. Well, not that it's a common issue, but that it isn't just me

Anyways, got some work done on the body. Decided I wanted it to look as clean as possible, no screws or extra holes in sight wherever possible. Decided to use some really strong chemical stuff to weld the plastic instead of using screws.

Started out by welding in some styrene rod into all the holes, and filling what's left with some body filler. The tailgate alone had 11 holes to fill.

The bed had a load of extra holes as well which needed filling with rod and filler, there were also some markings from the mold I removed.

Anyways, it's a very detailed job, but somehow it relaxes me. The result of today's work

Old 06-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

There were loads of holes on the front off the roll bar as well which I filled

I also fixed the production error on the front grille, started with cleaning up the area, and welding in some pieces of styrene.

Some filler, filing and sanding later I'm pretty happy with the result.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I have to take my bumper/grille out of the package when I get home and look closer at it now! Your fix looks good.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I have to take my bumper/grille out of the package when I get home and look closer at it now! Your fix looks good.

I'm guessing mine just slipped through their QC.

Also, why am I spending so much time on details?

Old 06-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The result of step 1 of the painting process.

And quickly cobbled up a rack for painting the rims

Old 06-11-2017, 12:20 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:

Also, why am I spending so much time on details?
Because if you didn't we may as well all drive stock out-of-the box RTR Axials and claim we're serious hobbyists.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Gave the body its first coat of paint. Here's a quick mock-up

I'm pretty sure it's too yellowish gold for me, so I'm going with something else.

More sanding for me.....
Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's too yellowish gold for me, so I'm going with something else.
Whew...Im glad you reached that decision so I didn't have to remain politely silent ;)

Old 06-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Whew...Im glad you reached that decision so I didn't have to remain politely silent ;)

Always glad to be of service

How about this; looked for something that closely matches the 'vintage gold' available on the full scale

Also, more details. Was going to try to use the negative from the sticker sheet to do this masking, but sadly the font is slightly too big, and the spacing on the sheet is off by a bit as well. Had to mask it with tape and spend some time with a sharp blade.

Last edited by IVIaarten; 06-13-2017 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Nice detailing. That would have been a difficult job to tape.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GEM-702L met Tapatalk
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I think you nailed the factory gold spot on! That was a decent mask/paint job on the tail lettering. I wish Killerbody would have updated a bit more...I like the current production smaller lettering more than the larger letters. Would be a difficult modification at this point (for mine, not for yours) ;)
Old 06-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyRoy View Post
Nice detailing. That would have been a difficult job to tape.
Just some time and a steady hand (small glass of single malt helps )

Quote:
I think you nailed the factory gold spot on! That was a decent mask/paint job on the tail lettering. I wish Killerbody would have updated a bit more...I like the current production smaller lettering more than the larger letters. Would be a difficult modification at this point (for mine, not for yours) ;)

Yeh, not a modification I would try at this point. For anyone interested, the colour I used is Motip 55440.

One thing they did get right with this body kit is the stickers though. Look at that amazing detail (putting them on before clear coat).

Last edited by IVIaarten; 06-13-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Default My first hardbody - TF2 LWB with LC70

The body is for now finished

Altogether I'd say it's a great kit. Love all the little details, and over all there was very little that went wrong with it. I'm really not happy with how the windows are fitted, and the gaps that are left, but I believe Killerbody has already fixed those issues in version 2 of this kit.

Happy with the stance right now. I moved the leafs under the axle in the rear, and used the shocks from the front. Have to sort out something to finish up the front now.

Also, couldn't resist adding something myself as well. Replaced some of the screws with scale bolts.

I'm really happy with the result, and I think it's built/painted as well as I can manage. Next up is finishing the electronics, and in the future very likely a full interior (will probably find a better way to mount the windows as well.

Last edited by IVIaarten; 06-14-2017 at 11:01 AM.

IVIaarten builds a rustless TF2 LWB with LC70 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leo's workshop RC4WD TF2 LWB with LC70 leowrc 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 08-20-2018 03:08 AM
2mtech's TF2 LWB LC70 build 2mtech RC4WD Trail Finder 2 20 09-19-2017 09:40 PM
TF2 VDJ79 (LC70) Build From Down Under! CalebMoto RC4WD Trail Finder 2 9 09-19-2017 11:37 AM
My first tf2 - lwb lc70 Fatman489 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 13 06-17-2017 03:42 AM