RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/)
-   -   New2rocks builds a Blazer (kind of) (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/586606-new2rocks-builds-blazer-kind.html)

new2rocks 07-01-2017 04:18 PM

New2rocks builds a Blazer (kind of)

15 Attachment(s)
Ever since RC4WD released that sweet Blazer body, I've been contemplating a Blazer build. I had one sitting in a box, but just kept putting it aside for other builds. Then a few weeks ago, I stumbled into a plan to kill multiple birds with a stone (or two).

It started with picking up a couple of already painted Blazer bodies, one looking nice and clean and one...well, not nice and clean at all (but in a good way). Then out came my Mojave 2 TF2 and CMAX chassis set up for a Blazer body:
Attachment 360809

Can see where this is going...? Off came the Mojave 2 body to make room for the nice, shiny Blazer body:
Attachment 360810

That Mojave 2 body is going to show up again on a CMAX chassis with our 152mm NCYotas in just a couple of weeks, and the not-so-nice Blazer body has already found a good home on the CMAX chassis. See what I mean about killing a few birds with a couple of stones?

So let's get back to this TF2 Blazer. Here's my build thread from the original build with the Mojave 2 bodyset:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd...ew2-rocks.html

To get things started, first up was reversing the front and rear bumper mounts so that everything lined up properly:
Attachment 360811

Attachment 360812

There...that looks pretty good:
Attachment 360819

Then out came the tranny, t-case and shift servo:
Attachment 360813

Here's some stuff I won't be using on this truck anymore:
Attachment 360814

All to make room for an R4 mated to a GCM LRT2 t-case:
Attachment 360815

Why the LRT2 you ask? Because it overdrives the front wheels. :mrgreen:

The t-shaped bracket that holds the back of the tranny and RC4WD hammer t-case needed a bit of grinding to make room for the LRT2 t-case:
Attachment 360816

With that little modification, everything went in just fine:
Attachment 360817

A quick test on the garage floor showed that the Puller Pro Stubby 3300 on 2S was waaaaayyyyy too fast for this drivetrain (think drift truck). That wasn't too surprising since this tranny and t-case combo has a lot less gear reduction than the R3/Hammer combo even in high gear.

Fortunately, my partner in BowHouse RC crime (aka Nick) had one of these sitting around:
Attachment 360818

It's the 1900 kv version, which I figured would be perfect for this setup. So I stole it. :evil:

Castle has done a really nice job with this motor. I like the shorter sensor cable, but what's up with the 3' long motor leads?
Attachment 360820

Oh, well. Onto the motor plate it went:
Attachment 360821

And then back in:
Attachment 360822

With a temporary tire swap, here's how she currently sits:
Attachment 360823

I was able to do a quick bit of testing in the yard, and the motor is perfect for this setup on 3S. Startup is super smooth, there's enough juice to lift the front wheels from a standing start (that may have more to do with a high CoG and rear weight bias from the body, but it's fun regardless), motor stays nice and cool, and the top end is fun without being irresponsible.

There's still quite a bit to do. I have a set of cast K44s to put on, and I'd like to lower the suspension (probably by going leaf under). And then there's the unfinished interior and engine bay to think about. Anyway, more updates will come as I progress.

IVIaarten 07-01-2017 09:41 PM

Re: New2rocks builds a Blazer (kind of)

Looks like a great start. Such a huge body though :)

1tonblazer 07-02-2017 12:20 PM

Nice project(s) Love them Blazers

MattySlimz1987 07-02-2017 08:31 PM

Nice work so far, subbed. Love that R4 with the GCM t-case. Makes me want to get a GCM chassis and get that drivetrain for a project this winter.

new2rocks 07-02-2017 11:22 PM

New2rocks builds a Blazer (kind of)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1tonblazer (Post 5723983)
Nice project(s) Love them Blazers

Imagine that...you like Blazers...who woulda thunk? Lol and thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IVIaarten (Post 5723845)
Looks like a great start. Such a huge body though :)

Thanks. I like big bodies, though. At least on trucks. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 (Post 5724107)
Nice work so far, subbed. Love that R4 with the GCM t-case. Makes me want to get a GCM chassis and get that drivetrain for a project this winter.

Thanks! If you're going to use a GCM chassis, I'd highly recommend the CMAX with LRT2 tranny and t-case. The LRT2 tranny housing is nearly identical to the R4 and has a lot more gear reduction (over 14:1 vs 10.1:1 for the R4). And the CMAX is simply incredible in terms of flexibility and weight distribution. I just got a CMAX Blazer up and running, and it's going to take some work before this TF2 Blazer can hang with the CMAX. I'll be starting up a thread on that build as well as a few other CMAXs in the next few weeks, and I will be doing a comparison of the Blazers once I have both set up. I think it will open some eyes... ;-)

XJrob 07-03-2017 12:39 PM

Glad that body is getting put to good use!!! Looks great so far

new2rocks 07-04-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJrob (Post 5724285)
Glad that body is getting put to good use!!! Looks great so far

Thanks for the hookup on the body, Rob. I'll confess that it's already received its first scratches testing out in the yard, lol. Hope you're enjoying those RBs!
"thumbsup"

Levi 07-04-2017 08:48 PM

Looks good, nice looking blazer, just needs the top off and a roll cage added, lol

TrailDawg362 10-06-2017 02:36 PM

Thanks to the response on GCM's page I found this build. I wanted to do a similar build as yours, but re-using the stock 2 speed TF2 trans. I'm not crazy about all the drivetrain components hanging down so low on the TF2. I'd prefer using the GCM ultimate leafer chassis but sadly they're out of stock. The LRT2 trans/T-case is the stuff! Great build, I'll be following "thumbsup"