Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: GreatScott's TF2 Reboot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: GreatScott's TF2 Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
Im wondering if the "scrwes bag" is the same for ALL of the RC4WD kits. So I could see the 6x6 using up quite a bit more, the Gelende II using maybe a little less but different packs opened etc etc
I thought the same thing after finishing my chassis as well. Was thinking why I have all theses extra screws. Maybe at the most maybe a few more screws for the body later, but good grief that much left over. I going with rc4wd puts the same hardware with every kit. I just finished painting my body and a bit nervous to see if everything lines up as it should. I do like the clothes pin idea, might have to steal this idea. Maybe even find some small little clamps too.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Here is the results of the first two minutes of driving.

This is with the rings install. Very annoyed, looks like I likely made another mistake in buying another TF2.

Are the driveshafts another "must-do" upgrade on this $400 kit? I am not quite ready to give up on this piece of junk, what shafts are recommend? I with thinking about Axial Wild Boars, or HRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Greatscott; 09-09-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #23
RCC Addict

You cant beat the wildbore for price and availability. But for 12 bucks you can get a pair of either Mip or punisher clones on ebay. I havent broken one they are stronger then plastic but i wouldnt think they are better the genuine shafts.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

I've heard the punisher shafts are the way to go. One of the upgrades I'm planning on before I get this tf up and running.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I too, am wrapping up a tf2 (mines the lwb) and had a few issues, I felt for the cost of the kit were crazy. The largest being the leaf springs. Mine were so flat out of the box, that my front shocks were completely bottomed out. This also forced my front shackles so forward that I was unable to install my front bumper mount. So I had to removed the leafs and arch them by hand, to get the ride height proper.

The drive shaft pins, will go all the way through. They never snug up.

Building the wheels, is a real bear. You can't even get a socket on the nuts without scratching the wheel.

Overall I'm happy with the rig, but at 479$ for a kit, I must have had my expectations set too high.
coffeeaddict17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Lots of people to quote.

For the wheels the kits include longer screws, I used two of them to start the wheel mounting process, then use 4 normal screws to snug it down, replace the 2 longer screws with normal ones.

For the Drive Shaft. Yes, that part I could see the crappy plastic ones included with an RTR but the kit definitely should have better shafts. I opted for the Axial scx10 shafts. I think I got enough to build 6 driveshafts for 30bucks shipped. I went that route because It worked so well on the trail stomper. Those shafts are still kicking today.

For the front shocks and suspension travel, gelende 2 shock towers. I then got 100mm shocks for the rear, moved the rear 80mm to the front to replace the 70mm stock fronts. When I added the Teraflex Revolver Shackles to the rear the longer shocks helped a lot.

The RC4WD kits/RTRs are definitely in a class of their own. I have to work the truck to get over obstacles. There are days I enjoy challenge, but then there are days I enjoy just be boppin around with my Scx10

Im not unhappy with my RC4WD Trail Finder 2, but at the end of the day I can say, one Trail Finder 2 is enough. If anyone knows guns, I look at the TF2 as a 1911, it needs work, custom parts to make it your own, time to break it in and finding what magazines and ammo it likes best. Where as the Axial SCX10, or any Axial is like a Glock. Feed it ammo and go.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Here's how mine assembled directly out of the box.

After re arching the leafs..

Last edited by coffeeaddict17; 09-30-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

What did you do to rework the leafs?

Still using photobucket....boo hisss
Old 09-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #29

What issues were fixed in the newer TF2 kits? I'm starting to want one again. I've never owned an RC4WD rig because of all the issues I see on forums and out on the trail.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Shoot! Sorry about that! Basicly I took them apart and hand "caressed them until I got the desired arch. You can bolt them together to ensure they both match.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What issues were fixed in the newer TF2 kits? I'm starting to want one again. I've never owned an RC4WD rig because of all the issues I see on forums and out on the trail.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I think the axle shimming issues were addressed. I have not heard of any other real out of the box complaints other than that. Well besides the shitty driveshafts, which like others, I think is a serious issue for RC4WD to address

MAYBE the front axles and turn radius but so far in my kit they have been ok for me.

After that, it is still Trail Finder 2
Old 09-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #32

Quote:
I think the axle shimming issues were addressed. I have not heard of any other real out of the box complaints other than that. Well besides the shitty driveshafts, which like others, I think is a serious issue for RC4WD to address

MAYBE the front axles and turn radius but so far in my kit they have been ok for me.

After that, it is still Trail Finder 2
Thanks for the info.

I'm worried about durability and longevity.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Durability I just hooked up 3s to a Traxxas Titan 12t motor. Nothing broke. There was enough torque to unseat the leaf springs from their spring hangers. Apply some firm pressure and the spring popped back in. Note this is the eyelet of the main leaf of the spring pack popping out from the bolt at the hanger.

Longevity, depending on how often and how hard you drive I could see leaf springs needing to be replaced eventually

I will say axle wrap is what kills the crappy stock plastic driveshafts. I knew this going in which is likely how mine have survived this long
Old 09-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #34

I'm used to bending leaf springs. My Sawback has gone through quite a few because of the way I beat on my rigs. I added anti-wrap links and that helps a lot.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Adding a leaf on top of the pack also helps with axle wrap
Old 09-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I have been in contact with RC4WD about the issue with the body not fitting, and I will be sending it back to them so they can figure out what is wrong. After doing a bit of research (other forums, FB, etc...) it looks like this body fitment issue is not unique to my rig. Most of what I have read have people working around it, which I was planning on doing, but for the cost of this thing, isn't right, it should fit. My Last TF2 kit had no issues with fitment of the body, it went on like it was supposed to.

I am a bit annoyed with having to sent it back, but if they can figure out what is going on a fix it, it will get rid of a headache for the next guy that buys one. I do like that RC4WD is trying to figure out what is wrong and not just blowing me off on this issue.

Sadly, due to two funerals this month, I have not had any time to run this rig after putting on the HR axles.

Last edited by Greatscott; 09-28-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:12 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Not anymore 😄Pics fixed
Old 10-01-2017, 12:59 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

That sucks your body didn't fit right. Least they are willing to look at it. As of now my own tf2 is fitting ok and on the chassis, but far as detail it's not perfect for that real scale look.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Got word back from RC4WD, they say nothing is wrong with the body, so they don't know why it doesn't fit. It is a bit annoying, but oh well. I am going to run the ESC's battery wire through the bed so the only time I have to fiddle with the body is when I need to do maintenance.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

That's too bad they didn't do anything for you on the body. Just out of curiosity how are you mounting the battery in the bed?

GreatScott's TF2 Reboot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dan's Hilux reboot/2.0 Sugarfree85 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 01-21-2017 12:31 PM
Greatscott's M2 XR-10 Greatscott Axial XR10 94 01-27-2015 11:55 AM
reboot of my black dog and the start of a micro rig slim_chance General Scale Talk 0 11-25-2012 12:27 AM
Greatscott's SWX (Finished at last!!!) Greatscott Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 03-08-2010 11:02 PM