Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: GreatScott's TF2 Reboot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: GreatScott's TF2 Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
That's too bad they didn't do anything for you on the body. Just out of curiosity how are you mounting the battery in the bed?
Not sure yet. I will be installing a roll bar when the body gets back, just need some way to mount the 2000mha 2S packs so they will stay put, and not look like batteries.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

So, been getting projects to a point of completion so that I can get them off of the bench, and finally coming around to the TF2. The body still seems too short, of the chassis still too long, but I am making it work.

There is a reason why I don't throw anything away, you never know when it will come in handy. I wanted to mount to my winch anchor, and was about to fab up a mount out of aluminum when I spotted a spare chassis brace from my Kind Hauler kit...

I cut it in half, cleaned it up, and put a hook on there for the tow rope...

Untitled by GreatScott, on Flickr

by GreatScott, on Flickr

To remove it I just pull the body clip.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Finally bit the bullet and did the drop motor mod.

The mod is pretty easy to do. The biggest tip I have for this mod is to gut everything off of the chassis forward of the transmission, make all of the cuts needed, install the motor, then put everything back. Also, mount the servo from the bottom, otherwise you'll need a spacer to get the steering link around the motor.

RC4 WD TF2 Motor drop mod by Scott O, on Flickr

RC4 WD TF2 Motor drop mod by Scott O, on Flickr
Old 03-29-2018, 06:48 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Had this truck out for its C1 debut, and it was lackluster at best.

The truck really did not do all that bad and the motor drop and suspension mods helped a lot. One of the biggest problems is steering, which simply sucks in stock form. After a good deal of research, it looks like tweaks and mods for the stock front axle are hokie, at best and tend to cause more problems than they solve. It seems like the only tried and true way to get any kind of steering out of this truck is to replace the axles all together.

As for the rest of the truck, it seemed to hold up pretty well, I had a screw come out when I was on the first course, but that was my fault, no lock-tite. I am still on the fence about this rig, it looks great and hard to beat for scale points, but my C1 SCX10 drives circles around it.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

It's "horror" stories like yours that make me hesitant to pick up a RC4WD kit. That and the parts always seem to be out of stock and backordered...

They look like fun, and maybe I'll try a kit one day.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Had this truck out for its C1 debut, and it was lackluster at best.

The truck really did not do all that bad and the motor drop and suspension mods helped a lot. One of the biggest problems is steering, which simply sucks in stock form. After a good deal of research, it looks like tweaks and mods for the stock front axle are hokie, at best and tend to cause more problems than they solve. It seems like the only tried and true way to get any kind of steering out of this truck is to replace the axles all together.

As for the rest of the truck, it seemed to hold up pretty well, I had a screw come out when I was on the first course, but that was my fault, no lock-tite. I am still on the fence about this rig, it looks great and hard to beat for scale points, but my C1 SCX10 drives circles around it.
Your trying to scare me right, lol. Your on the same page as me. I know the front axle lacks in steering. So when they yota 2 axles come back in stock than I'll see about getting some or find something completely different to modify in there. I know in stock form they will not perform. But like you said it gets scale points for sure.

Guess if your that disappointed you can always sell it and move on. If you weren't running it in comps would you think different about it? How much of trail time have you put in this truck, just curious?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:38 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Definitely what a good read in this evening.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Definitely what a good read in this evening.
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Your trying to scare me right, lol. Your on the same page as me. I know the front axle lacks in steering. So when they yota 2 axles come back in stock than I'll see about getting some or find something completely different to modify in there. I know in stock form they will not perform. But like you said it gets scale points for sure.

Guess if your that disappointed you can always sell it and move on. If you weren't running it in comps would you think different about it? How much of trail time have you put in this truck, just curious?
For this truck in particular, I have had about 5 packs through it so far, but I have had a TF2 before with hours of drive time on it.

I built it specifically for C1 comps, so without comps in mind I would not have one at all. It is VERY hard to beat the scale points this platform gives right out of the box, but for everything it gives to scale points it takes away from in performance. And, to be fair, my SCX10 I am comparing this to does have the XR mod, along with a few more tweaks that make it a great comp rig.

Right now I am trying to decide if I want to sell it and get a Bomber, I am currently lacking a C3 rig. I am just not sure what to ask for it.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:43 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks!!!

For this truck in particular, I have had about 5 packs through it so far, but I have had a TF2 before with hours of drive time on it.

I built it specifically for C1 comps, so without comps in mind I would not have one at all. It is VERY hard to beat the scale points this platform gives right out of the box, but for everything it gives to scale points it takes away from in performance. And, to be fair, my SCX10 I am comparing this to does have the XR mod, along with a few more tweaks that make it a great comp rig.

Right now I am trying to decide if I want to sell it and get a Bomber, I am currently lacking a C3 rig. I am just not sure what to ask for it.
The tf Is a funny thing, you either love it or hate it/disappointed in it. I can't wait for to get mine going. Ypur right though the scx has better performance over the tf from what i gather. Just need time to go pick up a radio and do some small things to get mine going. I've been eyeing out the bomber as well, rtr version, no kit. I've dumped to much in my tf to do another big project for now. But I think I'll be happy with the rtr. Mods will have to come down the road.

So what bomber you looking at rtr or kit?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The tf Is a funny thing, you either love it or hate it/disappointed in it. I can't wait for to get mine going. Ypur right though the scx has better performance over the tf from what i gather. Just need time to go pick up a radio and do some small things to get mine going. I've been eyeing out the bomber as well, rtr version, no kit. I've dumped to much in my tf to do another big project for now. But I think I'll be happy with the rtr. Mods will have to come down the road.

So what bomber you looking at rtr or kit?
Unless I can work out a trade on a reasonably built Bomber, I was going to go for a RTR and upgrade from there.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #51

Greatscott - great read as i'm on the fence about purchasing the tf2 kit.

I'd mainly use the tf2 on hiking trails, no competition but occasional water crossings and some rock crawling are involved. I currently have a TRX-4 and its been fantastic out of the box (i only had to replace the steering servo horn).

I've also followed your TRX-4 thread - how would you compare the TRX-4 to the TF2 for use on hiking trails? I know the TRX-4 has the tf2 beat on ground clearance but is the tf2 up to the task with minor mods?
joeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Any pictures of this showing your steering setup and clearances after the motor drop? How low the motor sits, any clearance issues with the front axle?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Sorry guys, didn't see that you had asked questions. I sold this truck a bit ago, so I don't wonder through very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeR6 View Post
Greatscott - great read as i'm on the fence about purchasing the tf2 kit.

I'd mainly use the tf2 on hiking trails, no competition but occasional water crossings and some rock crawling are involved. I currently have a TRX-4 and its been fantastic out of the box (i only had to replace the steering servo horn).

I've also followed your TRX-4 thread - how would you compare the TRX-4 to the TF2 for use on hiking trails? I know the TRX-4 has the tf2 beat on ground clearance but is the tf2 up to the task with minor mods?
With A LOT of work the TF2 can be made into a reasonable trail machine, but in some areas you'll have to spend a good deal more money to get the performance out if it. In my book it does not compare to the TRX4, the TRX4 is very good out of the box, and with a couple of mods handles rocks as good as any rig out there. The Sport version of the TRX4 is likely what you really want, it does not have unlockable diffs or the two speed, and has a fairly light body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Any pictures of this showing your steering setup and clearances after the motor drop? How low the motor sits, any clearance issues with the front axle?
Sorry, no pictures. I think I had to put in a 5mm spacer on the servo horn and recenter the servo, other than that there were no issues with the motor drop.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

OK, thanks for your reply.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:22 AM   #55
Rock Stacker

Quote:
This build is going A LOT slower that I want it to, but there are three projects on the work bench including this one, and working a lot more OT than I really care to.

I do have the wheels put together. I have had several set of these and found a trick for putting them together.

I use to hex wrenches to line up the hub and inner/outer rims. Once everything is lined up correctly, I use a 3mm screw to bring everything together to the point were I can easily get the nuts started on those little 2mm bolts. After four of the 2mm bolts are started are started I remove the 3mm screw and wrenches, start the other two bolts and nuts, then torque everything down is a start pattern.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr
Found an more ez trick figure i share old stub shaft with hex and drive pin and scotch tape to hold the bolts makes it super quick and ez. Your way works well too

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
bent_hinge_pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:40 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post
Found an more ez trick figure i share old stub shaft with hex and drive pin and scotch tape to hold the bolts makes it super quick and ez. Your way works well too

Without having a trick like this putting those wheels together is like herding cats.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:42 AM   #57
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Without having a trick like this putting those wheels together is like herding cats.
Yeah like hurding cats in heat My fingers hurt for 3 days after the first wheel. I then came up with this for the 2nd set of wheels

Old 06-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post

Great idea, thanks!
Old 06-27-2018, 05:26 AM   #59
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Great idea, thanks!
Glad i could help

Old 07-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sorry guys, didn't see that you had asked questions. I sold this truck a bit ago, so I don't wonder through very often.

With A LOT of work the TF2 can be made into a reasonable trail machine, but in some areas you'll have to spend a good deal more money to get the performance out if it. In my book it does not compare to the TRX4, the TRX4 is very good out of the box, and with a couple of mods handles rocks as good as any rig out there. The Sport version of the TRX4 is likely what you really want, it does not have unlockable diffs or the two speed, and has a fairly light body.

Sorry, no pictures. I think I had to put in a 5mm spacer on the servo horn and recenter the servo, other than that there were no issues with the motor drop.
Agree completely here... I was, and still am a really big fan of the TF2, but with that being said, I've put up with my fair share, and probably way more broken parts and heart ache than others would care to deal with, with the few kits that I have. I've learned the hard way; having to carry my TF2 half way back from a trail run due to something really silly. But after all that, I still have them, and the experience that comes with working with them for so long, has made me be able to make them all that much more reliable. You either love them, or you're disappointed in them. I really love them because I can build, pretty much what ever project I chose around that platform. Now with that being said, I decided to try my hand at something completely new, the TRX4 Bronco. My first Traxxas, and I'm blown away... the TF2's are slowly starting to gather more and more dust now. This will prove to be an interesting year.

Last edited by tokdl; 07-03-2018 at 09:17 PM.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote

GreatScott's TF2 Reboot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dan's Hilux reboot/2.0 Sugarfree85 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 01-21-2017 12:31 PM
Greatscott's M2 XR-10 Greatscott Axial XR10 94 01-27-2015 11:55 AM
reboot of my black dog and the start of a micro rig slim_chance General Scale Talk 0 11-25-2012 12:27 AM
Greatscott's SWX (Finished at last!!!) Greatscott Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 03-08-2010 11:02 PM