Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Levi' s tf2 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Levi' s tf2 build

if you aren't breaking stuff you aren't having enough fun! ;)
you told me on a reply above not to break anything at proline. the official tally:
lost passenger side blinker
stripped stock 25t servo horn
destroyed servo gearing

but i don't regret ANYTHING! it was a blast and i hope you can make it someday. maybe i'll have my own TF2 by then. i already have a nickname for it: ToFu2 ;) you'll understand when i build it.

your truck looks great and the little hints of rugged terrain are awesome. its still fresh but has a couple blemishes that really help the realism. (notably the missing letters on the tailgate).
good luck on the driveshafts, i think natedog is on to something...
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Exclamation Re: Levi' s tf2 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Tighter roll-pin, yes maybe. Also a dab of red Loctite when you press it in, but gotta very careful not to get that into the joint where it needs to pivot. Nice pictures, got any of the surrounding area?
Probably not a bad idea. Next time some red loctite and a larger roll pin if I can find one. I thought a few small taps from one of my small hammers would of fixes it(of coarse in was crossing my fingers, lol). Sorry no pictures of the surrounding area. When i go back up there if remember I'll get some more pictures of the area.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
if you aren't breaking stuff you aren't having enough fun! ;)
you told me on a reply above not to break anything at proline. the official tally:
lost passenger side blinker
stripped stock 25t servo horn
destroyed servo gearing

but i don't regret ANYTHING! it was a blast and i hope you can make it someday. maybe i'll have my own TF2 by then. i already have a nickname for it: ToFu2 ;) you'll understand when i build it.

your truck looks great and the little hints of rugged terrain are awesome. its still fresh but has a couple blemishes that really help the realism. (notably the missing letters on the tailgate).
good luck on the driveshafts, i think natedog is on to something...
Yep, eating my own words not to break anything, lol. Still had a fun time. Put a new driveline on and good to go. I really want to save the shaft hoping, maybe if I get time tonight on break I'll try to fix it again, but this time with some red loctite. Thanks for the compliment on the truck, I got two more things to do on this truck besides the lights. One day maybe I'll make it to proline, lol. My big trip I have on the list is axial fest. I'm working on my fleet of axial trucks.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

When it's your days off from work what else could be better than heading to the lake with your kid and some friends. I'll say it again, it was a great day for an adventure.

This time the truck did great. Had to change the batteries in the remote. Had about 5 good runs on that set of batteries in my dx5r. Plus the times I was learning how to make it work. So I'm thinking I could of got two more good runs on the set.

My wife's friend smoked the motor in her wraith so it got packed for some of the hike. We didn't get as far as we wamted too but still lots of fun. Guess they will be looking for a upgraded system going brushless lol.

Oh and some scenery pictures just for natedog. Since you were asking for some, lol.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Finally found a driver for my truck. Meet hans solo. He's currently unemployed and was looking for a job. I figure if he can fly the millennium falcon around the galaxy, he can drive something with wheels right?

I've had him for a week or two but finally had some free time to work on my tf project. Hans went though some plastic surgery and had some butt and legs shaved down. He's currently got his butt shoe goo to the seat. See how that goes after it dries and I have more time to install him in the truck.

Been waiting very patiently for my winch to come in I found from a lhs but it's been over due so I found one online. Should be here very soon. Back to waiting again.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

My new toys to install on the truck this weekend. Got some wiring to extend and soldering to do. Change connectors and whatever else. It's one of the last few pieces of the puzzle I've been missing. So super stoked to get this all on hopefully this weekend.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Mmmmm...making some progress this weekend, I think. Got the driver put in and seat back in the truck. Looks much better with someone driving it now, lol. Maybe he needs to cruise around looking for a date maybe. Took me some time to find a somewhat normal looking person to drive my truck.

Got the winch up and working. The directions the wireless controller comes with suck. Especially towards the end. Leaves you hanging when it says to bind them. It took awhile to figure out you have to hold the buttons down for 20-30 seconds till the light on the controller flashes a few times. Something the directions left out.

Than with the winch bolted down on the warn bumper the body does not fit, ggggrrrrrr. Rc4wd sells a adapter kit but it does not have the right adapter for the warn bumper to the 8274 winch, ggggggrrrrrrr. My original plan was to install the zeon winch witch of would of worked with the right adapter. So hoping to get some time this week and I'll just make my own adapter.

I'm very happy that the winch is working now. I'm just trying to decide if I want to install a bec in it since its wireless or leave it hooked up to the 3s battery.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Forgot to put this with the last post

Old 08-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Time for an update. Been loving this build of mine maybe cuz it's my first one. Went out for a few good hours this past weekend and had a chance to put the trx4 and tf side by side. Still want to add a scx10 to the collection put the side of those too but won't probably be till the end of the year beginning of the year.

Trx4
The trx4 is a lot different driving. The lines are definitely not the same that you drive to pick through when it's going rough. The trx4 being lighter seems to float over a lot more stuff lot easier. But it is a stock truck for the most part and it is definitely top-heavy. I do have a Savox steering servo and a Traxxas metal horn on it about the only upgrades on it it's a very slow process for a project. I do have a ProLine Jeep body I picked up for it just recently that needs to be cut out and painted and all that good stuff.

I think probably one of my biggest complaints about the trx4 is the stock esc and motor. It's just too slow compared to my heavy tf with a mamba x system with 1900kv motor, hahaha.

I think with new a new lighter body and upgraded esc and motor the truck would be a lot more enjoyable to drive.

Tf
The tf is a fun truck to drive. But it is very heavy and it shows it when you're driving. You're definitely having to pick some time some different lines compared to driving the trx4.

I know my bumpers of choice have not been the greatest for the approach angles and the rear definitely gets hung up on things. Shortening the bed definitely make a big difference on the rear.

I really love the mamba x system with 1900kv motor. Even in low gear it has lots of torque and enough speed without having to switch for higher or more speed. It's almost probably better to put a different transmission in it but for now it's just going to stay like that.

What is a buggy little things that happens is the shifting servo sits just right I have to adjust the endpoints on it just a little bit by a number two to keep it from buzzing but it's real simple on the dx5r.

Overall like I said I really love this truck still. In fact I'd probably either build another one or by the Marlin crawler and go from there. But that's going to be quite some time I've got some other trucks in mind that I want to get and build up before I do that.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Awesome pics of the lake and trail. That last pic of the black and white pup is really cool.

the area looks familiar : )

Last edited by rockhugger; 08-12-2018 at 12:02 PM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Mmmmm...making some progress this weekend, I think. Got the driver put in and seat back in the truck. Looks much better with someone driving it now, lol. Maybe he needs to cruise around looking for a date maybe. Took me some time to find a somewhat normal looking person to drive my truck.

So hoping to get some time this week and I'll just make my own adapter.

That's the problem with all RC finding scale proper drivers that aren't wrestlers.

Did you make your own winch adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
...The tf is a fun truck to drive. But it is very heavy and it shows it when you're driving. You're definitely having to pick some time some different lines compared to driving the trx4.

I know my bumpers of choice have not been the greatest for the approach angles and the rear definitely gets hung up on things. Shortening the bed definitely make a big difference on the rear.

Overall like I said I really love this truck still. In fact I'd probably either build another one or by the Marlin crawler and go from there.

Agree TF2 is fun to drive!

Any plans to change bumpers and/or body mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Awesome pics of the lake and trail. That last pic of the black and white pup is really cool.

the area looks familiar : )

X2
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That's the problem with all RC finding scale proper drivers that aren't wrestlers.

Did you make your own winch adapter?

Agree TF2 is fun to drive!

Any plans to change bumpers and/or body mods?

X2
Sorry I've been absent from the forums for a while. Been working super crazy 80+ hours a week for the last few months and it's wearing me down. So I've not been checking the forums like use too.

Yes I built the adapter for the winch myself. Rc4wd does not offer a adapter for the winch to the warn bumper. Originally my plan was to use a zeon winch buy changed my mind when I saw this winch.

I won't say never, but as of right now I have no plans on any other body mods or bumpers. About the only thing on my list left is to put on some led headlights and taillights. And lights for the roll bar too. I want to put in a him trans one day maybe.

Have to agree, most of the somewhat scale people are wrestlers I find. I saw on sbg used classic tv figures website. So now I've been on the hunt for figures for future builds.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Getting out for an afternoon crawl really helps me relax and recharge especially working that much. Hope you're doing well and please update this thread when you have time.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Getting out for an afternoon crawl really helps me relax and recharge especially working that much. Hope you're doing well and please update this thread when you have time.
Thanks natedog. It's been a crazy year for me. We ended up moving a few months ago and my rc stuff is still not all set up. Havent had time to get it all back to normal. Moving took all my free time trying to sell the old place and get moved into the new house. Loving the new place, it will be better when I get my studd stuff all set up like it use to be.

Not to mention I've been working my rear off. Doing overtime at work. After working 5 days I have worked 80 hours for the week for the past year. And winter is coming up soon and it's our busiest time of year for the shop getting all the trucks ready for the road.

Far as my tf goes it's about the same as last. I'm really want to try some other wheel and tire set up and still wanting a light kit of something one day. I think this past year I've got my tf out 2 or 3 times.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

The tf has been sitting on the shelf neglected lately. I only drove it like 2 or 3 times last year. Busy moving and working overtime. I'll have to admit I've been wrapped up into another project working on my trx4 lately.

Time to give the ole tf some love. Back awhile ago I picked up some extra ssd rugged wheels. And lately been picking up some pitbull 1.9×4.55 rock beast tires.

Than one day I was looking online and came long this sweet looking front bumper and had to have it. When I started my build I was looking for one of these but never saw one. Maybe they were on back order or I never saw it. Whatever I got one and picked up a new zeon winch to go with it.

Got the tires all mounted and installed the winch on the bumper. Now I've got to install the bumper on the tf. I test fit the tires after getting home from working swing shift and they look great on there. I'll have to adjust the endpoints or try some wheel hex adapters or both to keep the front tire from rubbing on the frame and tire.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Pictures 1-3 before
Pictures 4-6 after

Took a little time tonight to mount the new front bumper, winch and wheels and tires. I think I under estimate the clearance the tires had. The front tires in the rear hit the fender new the rock rail. So I guess I need to do a little more trimimg and adjust the endpoints a little.

Going out this weekend coming up and I get the trimming done than I'll give it a good run.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:40 AM   #57
Rock Crawler

A little midnight truck work on the bench after working all day and night. The front spring was bent from last year run and getting it ready for the weekend with the last repair replacing the leaf spring. Bring in the weekend woot woot.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:25 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

It was a great day to get out and run trucks. Great weather and good friends to hang out with today. Loved the front bumper, but the new tires didn't work out as planned. Even after adjusting the endpoints the turning radius sucked. The tires would hit the left springs if I didnt turn up the endpoints. So I've got to figure out something to space out the front wheels. Offset hubs or something. A little disappointed today with the wheels. Was looking forward to running them on the rd today.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:26 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Nice update! Not sure if you recall me posting on your thread a couple years back, but I still have my half-built Gelande D90 kit. Hahaha... Late 2018, we had to buy a home and get out of the apartment we’d been in for 6 years, and, shortly after getting moved in, our newest child developed into a Tasmanian devil, requiring constant supervision, so I hardly ever had time to work on anything. Lastly, I lacked a workspace in our new home, and much of my RC belongings were in a storage facility several miles away. That’s finally changing, as we managed to buy a 40’ shipping container which will become my office/workshop. Who knows, I might actually revisit that D90 build.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Nice update! Not sure if you recall me posting on your thread a couple years back, but I still have my half-built Gelande D90 kit. Hahaha... Late 2018, we had to buy a home and get out of the apartment we’d been in for 6 years, and, shortly after getting moved in, our newest child developed into a Tasmanian devil, requiring constant supervision, so I hardly ever had time to work on anything. Lastly, I lacked a workspace in our new home, and much of my RC belongings were in a storage facility several miles away. That’s finally changing, as we managed to buy a 40’ shipping container which will become my office/workshop. Who knows, I might actually revisit that D90 build.
Sounds like a familiar post lol. Most times I dont remember what I worked on a week ago in the shop when the boss asks me about it without looking at my notes . That's great you have a new home. I personally hate apartments, love having my own place. We moved last year and our house still is not 100% put together. We have great views of the city and best of all I have no houses behind us since we sit on the back of the hill.

Well least you'll have your office/workshop when you get your container. I have my rc workbench in the basement somewhat set up. I need some walls and outlets than I can finish up my work area. It will be similar to the setup at the old house. Something like this again.