Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: HW1080 & Marlin - Drag hold issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default HW1080 & Marlin - Drag hold issues

Hey up folks,

3 years on the bench and my modded Marlin LC70 took its first move last night...

Trouble is, whilst the drag brake does work it won’t hold the truck even on mild slopes!..

Details:

HW1080
Holmes Crawlmaster Pro 16t 6 slot
9t pinion

Drag is set to max , drag initiation pumped up some, brake force max etc...

Anyone got there’s to work with this combo??? And if not , what are folks running that does work with a 16t 5 slot?..

I did have one on my tf2 with a 20t CM Pro a couple years back and from what I can remember it was quite a bit better but that may be as it was a 20t...
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: HW1080 & Marlin - Drag hold issues

Did you calibrate the esc ro the radio? Maybe it's not reading the inputs correctly?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Dirt Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yes all calibrated mate.

Bit of an update, Just finished a load of other bits on it and went out to the rock pile... Put a fresh battery in... And it’s a lot better. But to be honest it still gives some...

Anyone using this exact combo for steep crawling and having it work fine??..
Old 05-21-2020, 04:58 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Finally finished the body off properly and got out last weekend... But the 1080 is still not great on steeper stuff.

To be honest, I can probably drive round it in UK C2 comps (much tamer than the red rock stuff you folks have - and we dream of!!). But really not ideal...

I have a BRXL coming for another project but I may try that in this just to confirm things....

Thanks..
Old 05-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

1080 has been fine in most of my crawlers, don't like or want complete stand still brake hold on steep hills. It drives better, smoother and is less likely to endover on downhills running a middle of the road crawler brake setting. I've always wondered what that kind of hill holding action does to the motor too as it's got to apply some reverse voltage it would seem, in order to hold like that.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:14 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
1080 has been fine in most of my crawlers, don't like or want complete stand still brake hold on steep hills. It drives better, smoother and is less likely to endover on downhills running a middle of the road crawler brake setting. I've always wondered what that kind of hill holding action does to the motor too as it's got to apply some reverse voltage it would seem, in order to hold like that.
For regular crawling its not an issue and I think I've said elsewhere that a bit of roll when on and off the throttle drives much like a clutched 1:1 (which is what I use in the UK) so can be fun.

But when it gets steeper I personally could do with more and would have hoped that the 1080 could provide this. I realise that running a 5 slot motor does not help this either...

So hey ho.... Guess I'll just grab a different rig when playing on steeper stuff or just work with it....

HW1080 & Marlin - Drag hold issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drag brake not holding HW1080 in Trx-4 AnimalHippie Electronics 9 08-19-2018 09:20 AM
RC4WD Marlin Crawler Drag Brake Question golddigger RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 06-09-2018 12:35 PM
New Marlin Crawler & Marlin crawler black edition J55TTC Scale Videos! 0 11-05-2017 12:35 PM
Mongoose drag/hold brake RickM Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 06-08-2010 08:14 AM
Novak Rooster Crawler hold/drag brakes feel very weak?? GSRswapandslow Electronics 10 05-22-2009 02:25 PM