Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Levi' s tf2 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 01:21 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Levi' s tf2 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Oh, man. I can relate to the piling of med bills. We incurred a huge load from having child #3 last year, all the while my wife was diabetic. Weekly Dr visits....

I've had thoughts of finishing the D90 build, because I still have it, and it would be cool in the end. If anything, it'll be easier to sell as a completed kit than a half-finished one. That is, if I still don't like it, afterwards. Here's the thread for it: Johnnyluv's Gelände II D90 "future" build [placeholder]
I'm currently trying to downsize my collection, so maybe when it's more manageable, I'll find it easier to stay focused on one particular project.
Sounds like were in the same boat, having medical bills hanging over us. I know many others do too. Lucky for me I have good insurance and hope it stays that way. And i really like working with this insurance company. We even have our own case worker assigned to our family right now. Makes things so much easier. Just hoping work don't switch companies any time soon.

Working and playing on my tiny trucks is one of the few things right now that's keeping me from going loco.

So why you down sizing your rigs? If you don't mind me asking.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Sounds like were in the same boat, having medical bills hanging over us. I know many others do too. Lucky for me I have good insurance and hope it stays that way. And i really like working with this insurance company. We even have our own case worker assigned to our family right now. Makes things so much easier. Just hoping work don't switch companies any time soon.

Working and playing on my tiny trucks is one of the few things right now that's keeping me from going loco.

So why you down sizing your rigs? If you don't mind me asking.
That sounds like quality insurance. I have insurance, but it’s a high deductible and only covers so much. We used to have great insurance, but my company seems to have gotten greedy over the years. Better than a sharp stick in the eye, I guess.

I simply have too many RC’s to spend any quality time on, and some I have lost interest in, like a couple of 8th scale bashers. They’re just taking up space on the shelf. Plus, I foresee having to move my family in the not too distant future, so the less I have to pack the better.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Came home and found my order in the mail today. Even came a few days early too. Now I'll need a spare tire to get now. If my cards play out right at the end of the month I'll have my radio, fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal3gs View Post
Nice build
Thanks. Still need to find some better driveshaft, lights and a winch and pick up a spare tire. I feel like I need a 3rd job for my addiction. Sure hope it's all worth it, lol
Old 03-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Slow progress but getting there. Installed the boom racing transfer case skid plate. Still have the tire rack and tool box to mount. In the process of fixing my fenders I damaged. Going to reinforce the front of them. Going shopping for more parts later, but need to measure and get some better drive shafts. Some before and after pictures of the old and new transfer case skid plate. Looks much better and should hang up on much stuff now I hope.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Yippee ki-yay it's almost done. Picked up this new radio can't wait to get it put in when I get time hopefully this weekend and get some bugs worked out on it and maybe this weekend or next it will start running.

And all the radios a bit of an overkill for a scale truck but I really fell in love with this run one over the 5c.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

I feel like a little kid waiting to open his birthday present getting this truck to fully operational. Still have things to get done on it before hitting the trails. Got all the electronics in and wired how I like now. Debated on running the wiring above the plate for the electronics to the receiver box or underneath for a cleaner look.

Went for wiring underneath, makes a cleaner look but didn't like how it left the wiring exposed for catching/hanging on things. Maybe it's not a issue for anyone. Plus if the driveline ever grenades the covers will protect the wiring as well.

So the next step for me is to program the aux1 for shifting the transmission. Funny tonight i don't even have it programmed yet to shift but for some reason the transmission servo started twiwcing on its one from time to time.

Got the yota2 axles delivered finally and waiting for the xvd axles to show up with a few accessories too. Also picked up some punisher shafts to install.

Got to say I've been learning alot on this build from others on the forums. Plus my lhs has been awesome to help me out too.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Tada, it's done. This is my first build ever. A year of slowing building it up and money. Wanted it to run this weekend, so not everything is 100% how I want. Wanted to install a winch, it's on back order, but got the controller.

Also wanted to mount lights, headlights, taillights and some off lights to the roll bar, but haven't had time to do so, another day. Still playing with the shifting servo. Had to do so with very little time i got.

It's been exciting to piece this together. Lots of upgrades I've got into before I run it. Thought about upgrading it as I go but for some stupid reason I wanted it set up with upgrades before it's first real run.

Not sure what to expect for performance on the trail this weekend. Hoping for good, lol. I've got about 1 1/2 battery packs ran though it for run time to soften up the leaf springs. Wanted more time for this, just not going to happen.

The yota1 axles were terrible for steering and swapped to the yota2 axles with xvd axles and a huge improvement, well worth the money I feel. One thing that I thought different least for now was the trannsmision. Lot of others say they can't tell much difference between low and high gear. Only street time i can see enough difference between the two gears. I still want to compare the speeds with my trx4.

It's almost the weekend and I can't wait. Some pictures of the completed truck and before it's beat up from this weekend, haha.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

this is a great build thread with excellent pace.
i know exactly how you felt, waiting for enough parts to drive it! haha

these TF2's are awesome and kinda tempting. and i need a chevy... ;)

you going to proline this weekend? if so, i will keep my eyes peeled for this truck, looks great and will probably perform just as well! see you there! (i will be the guy in a cat shirt driving a brown 79 ford ascender)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #30

Great looking truck! I'll have to read through the entire thread when I have time.

I can't believe how well the mini Hyrax fit. They look good on there.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
this is a great build thread with excellent pace.
i know exactly how you felt, waiting for enough parts to drive it! haha

these TF2's are awesome and kinda tempting. and i need a chevy... ;)

you going to proline this weekend? if so, i will keep my eyes peeled for this truck, looks great and will probably perform just as well! see you there! (i will be the guy in a cat shirt driving a brown 79 ford ascender)
Thanks, sorry not attending any event. Guessing it's close to you in Cali? Just hitting up a local spot with some friends, assuming that it doesn't rain this weekend. I've never attendedany event but it's on my wish list sometime. Have fun at the event and no breaking stuff lol.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Great looking truck! I'll have to read through the entire thread when I have time.

I can't believe how well the mini Hyrax fit. They look good on there.
It looks good for now, thanks. With the 1.9 hyrax tires on I had to hack the front of the body/fenders to avoid tire rub.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Hooray, the weather was perfect, had the entire Saturday off, friends and lots of trucks with us, what a great day. This was my first day out with my tf2 build. I kind of babied it though the day, still ended up with battle wounds to show at the end of the day.

Was impressed with the power that it put out, never asked for more than what it had. The 1.9 hyrax tires had great traction on the rocks for the day. The suspension showed lots of flex, but never did the truck feel like it was extremely top heavy or to much flex. But I do wonder if it would be better with 90mm shocks around.

Overall I had a great day with this truck and was very happy with it being my first build ever. During the build i learned things as I went along and picked up from others. So the next build i do whatever it is hopefully goes a bit better.

While out adventuring off during the day I even came across a guy with this 1:1 yota and had to stop and take a picture together. Even the owner of the 1:1 yota was impressed with my tf2 and even took some pictures for himself.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Not sure how i missed this build. Just read through it all. What a great looking truck. Love it. Great attension to detail. What winch are you going to get?
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
Not sure how i missed this build. Just read through it all. What a great looking truck. Love it. Great attension to detail. What winch are you going to get?
Haha, all good. I always seem to miss builds myself. Thanks for the compliment. Not sure how the rest of the build will be one day. Thinking down the road as it gets beat up that I'll start weathering it, rust, etc. Winch I'm waiting for rc4wd 8274. I was going to put on a rc4wd 1/8 zeon winch but seems the 8274 has more power. I wish I would.of picked up a 8274 from my lhs at the time when I was checking it out but was in the middle of buying upgraded stuff for my build.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Spend the weekend out with my tf2 and some friends. Had a good time out on the rocks again. Next weekend heading to the mountains with my build. Still loving the tf2, hoping the love don't wear off any time soon. Like everyone says you do have to pick different lines compared other trucks. One of my biggest complaints is the way the body attaches to the sides with 4 screws. Need to put some thought into mounting it different somehow.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Headed to the mountains above 9000ft and the temperature was perfect. Had a great time running trucks today. Haven't had the chance to have the trailfinder on a trail run untill today. Been on a few runs on the rocks, but it's totally different on the trail.

With the trailfinder you have to pick your lines more carefully like everyone says. But that's ok it's still a blast to drive. Got lots of compliments on the truck and some even stopped to take pictures, maybe a should of charged a quarter for a picture, lol.

Ran into two problems coming back down the trail. The first problem was someone's fishing line got caught in the rear wheel and stopped to cut it out. Later to follow a blown rear driveline. Tried to fix it but didn't work out so removed the driveline and ended up in 2wd. So much for thoses punisher shafts. Guess a rebuild in order or something else.

Usually I carry spare parts on a trail run, but didn't do that for this run for the trailfinder for some stupid reason. So lesson learned I need more spare parts to carry and some of the stock parts as well. Lhs here I come, be ready, lol.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Your rig looks great! Makes me want to get mine out, it's been neglected for months
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:28 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Made another trail run today. Lots of fun and a small group with trucks. It all adds up to a good time. Last time out my rear driveshaft blew up. Went to the lhs for a new driveline after rc4wd emailed me telling me the punisher shafts I have are not the rebuildable ones, go figure. After some thought I found a roll pin that I thought would work.

So I reinstalled the driveshaft and kept the new one for a back up along with some other brand shafts as a backup too. Made it about 5 minutes down the trail before the same shaft same joint blew up again. Maybe a tighter roll pin or something.

Have a few new things to put on the truck, one of thoses on order and be here in about a week.

For the last while I've been charging batteries on my days off to go play in the dirt, wife tells me she's tired of hearing the charger go off, lol.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Tighter roll-pin, yes maybe. Also a dab of red Loctite when you press it in, but gotta very careful not to get that into the joint where it needs to pivot. Nice pictures, got any of the surrounding area?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote