Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Trail Finder 2: An even trail finderier adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Trail Finder 2: An even trail finderier adventure

Most excellent build, Sir! Fully inspired and looking forward to more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 06:22 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Most excellent build, Sir! Fully inspired and looking forward to more!
The next phase is already underway.

I need to stop being lazy and finish up because it would make for a very boring update post in it's current state.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Hello friends (imagine that in the smooth, relaxing tone of Jim Nantz for a better morning).

I have returned with a (possibly) not boring update after some more work.

Anyone remember this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
If only there was some way to both eliminate the slipper and the 2 speed in one part.
I quote myself, that is a thing I do because I'm very quotable.

How about this:

Have we caught on yet?

No? You are all so dense.

The answer is.....

I'll wait a minute for the slow readers to catch up.

Ta Da!

It's a RC4WD R4 transmission in all it's scale glory. In one shot, I get rid of the slipper, simplify to a single speed, and look cooler. Win, win, win.

If you notice the mounting brackets, they are from the RC4WD TF2 V8 mounting kit and R4 motor plate. I went lazy and bought mounts instead of making my own; I have no regrets.

Why a R4 over a GCM LRT2 you may wonder. Gear reduction my friend, gear reduction. After spending hours at the Adventure Series driving my TF2, I learned the truck handled everything much better in low gear. As it was, low gear provided about 60:1 reduction at the wheels which was probably a little too low but it was much better than the 22:1 of high gear. The LRT2's very cool attached transfer case provides some front overdrive but is still essentially a 1:1 ratio while the R4 uses the stock TF2 t-case for an additional 1.47 of gear reduction. A LRT2 could get me down to about 26:1 for overall gearing, not enough for my taste. The R4 can get much lower

Why a R4 over a single speed R3? Vanity, sheet vanity. Oh, and a single speed R3 is only good for about a 30:1 ratio in my truck.

The transmission isn't in the truck so this seems like a good time to toss in a better motor. The Integy 35T served it's purpose but, you know, Integy. I can do better. A nice Holmes Crawlmaster perhaps?

Wrong!

Now that is a real motor. You can find some good deals on the OG ROC412s now that the new version is out. Well, I found a good deal, I don't really care how much you pay for your motor. A not so minor reason that I chose the R4 motor plate over the V8 is the motor plate allows for some gearing adjustment. You can see a very tiny pinion on the motor, that is one of Robinson Racing's new hardened small 48P gears in 11T flavor. With that, I am able to drop the gearing down to a very respectable 35:1 overall ratio.

Soldering commenced. A Tekin RS Gen 2 was given a very spacious new home.

Fresh Holmes servo for much power to go right or left but not both at the same time.

Losing the 2 speed meant giving up a shift servo so I can now get away with a 4 channel radio. In went a Futaba receiver so I can use my 4PV.

I still need to get a winch controller back in there but that can come later. Turned out my winch controller was fine, it was the winch motor that was failing. I soldered in a spare one last night so it should be good as new. Yes, I have spare winch motors in my parts bin, I have a problem.

The t-case gets flipped around for nicer driveshaft clearance with the offset front axle. It will get bounced off rocks every now and then but it is tucked up there about as high as it was with the Bowhouse skid.

There you have it, phase 2 of the TF2 (or maybe I should call it "Phase TF2", I'm so clever) includes a scale driveline and brushless power. I hope to get out for some driving this weekend and get some impressions of the new setup.

So many possibilities of where to go from here but there is one definite and it rhymes with "pale fingine". There is no picture to go with that one so I'm sure no one will figure it out. The only guarantee I can make is it will come in a prompt and timely manner, like all my posts.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I'm extremely important so I have limited time to get out and drive. Thus, I plan my excursions for maximum intel acquisition. In one span of a few hours, I accomplished:

1. Further testing on a prototype charger
2. Breaking in and testing a new set of tires
3. Field testing a freshly rebuilt SCX10 (read all about it here: SVT does nice things for people: Rebuilding a SCX10)
4. Gathering driving impressions of the new TF2 setup

Impressive right?

What to hear more?

Sweet. Let's go.

So as far as the new TF2 setup goes, it is decidedly awesome. The gearing with the R4 puts the performance exactly where I want it. The more narrow design of the new transmission also got rid of the occasional driveshaft rub present with the R3.

I didn't get too many pictures, shame on me.

A battery was tossed in and 1 hour and 45 minutes went by before it was time to change packs. Did I mention that was a 1300mah 3S pack? It was. The 1800kv ROC412 sips the battery juice very slowly under most driving conditions but still has way more power than this truck will ever need. Oh, the motor was also as cool after that nearly 2 hour drive from the first battery as it was when it was the battery was plugged in. Literally zero heat was produced. I declare my undying love for brushless motors.

So tire testing.

A few days ago, I received my set of Pit Bull Braven Ironsides. They are soft, sticky, and nicely designed. They don't really say "UTV tire" to me, they could easily pass for an all-terrain/mud terrain hybrid as a full size tire. Unlike Pitbull's other tires that come with the firmer foam, I thought the included foam was much too big for the Ironsides. A set of dual stage foams were cobbled together from a CI 4.25 inner foam and the outer foam from a 1.55 Growler stock foam. Also unlike typical Pit Bull tires, these ones seem to be small for their size spec. At a listed 4.19 inches tall, they are shorter than both the 1.55 Growlers and 4.19 KLRs while only being slightly taller than the 3.85 inch 1.55 Rock Beasts. A set of Incision Method wheels were used as tire holders.

Traction was immediate and impressive. The tread pattern grabs on everything and the Alien compound is supremely sticky. They are on the fast track to becoming my favorite tiny tire.

All was not rosy however. I got hung up more than once on the exposed transfer case. A skid plate may be in order, good thing I know a guy. Also, this happened:

I'm no suspension expert but I'm pretty sure that is less than optimal. In a moment of sheer laziness, I said what the hell and drove for another hour after I noticed the spring broke. The TF2 wasn't too effected other than slightly pulling to the side of the broken spring. Sure beats lugging a heavy TF2 back to the truck.

I guess repairs have to be done before any further progress can be made. If anyone needs me, I'll be hunting down some leaf springs.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Nice TF2 update and Braven Ironside mini review, do you have a picture of the Ironside next to 1.55 Growler, KLR, and Rockbeast?

Would be nice if the springs mounted with one screw in the center (and only one hole in the springs) and u-bolts like the real Toyotas. This would probably eliminate many bent or broken springs at the screw holes.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Nice TF2 update and Braven Ironside mini review, do you have a picture of the Ironside next to 1.55 Growler, KLR, and Rockbeast?
Here is a size comparison of the 4.19 KLRs, 1.55 Growlers, PBX ATs, and Ironsides.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Perrfect, thanks!
Old 10-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Good morning my tiny truck loving friends.

I'm sorry I don't call or write as much as I should but I'm going to make an effort. It hasn't been a whole year since the last post so I'm still better at communicating than that one cousin of yours who only sends out a yearly Xmas letter. Try harder, Carol.

Since last time, the TF2 remains largely unchanged. In fact, some changes were undone to make it even more unchanged. The R4 trans was replaced with a R3 single speed for 2 reasons: the R4 setup hung up a lot more than the R3 with the Bowhouse skid and I needed the R4 for another project. Pretty much all else is what it was, no personal growth here.

"So you made an update post to tell me nothing really has changed? Great post, SVT."

The point isn't what I did to the truck, its where I took the truck.

There was a super cool event at DLB trails in scenic Trinity, NC. I packed my Toyota into my Toyota because I was going to drive Toyotas with some other guys driving Toyotas, some of which may have brought their Toyotas in their own Toyotas.

Let's go places!

What was this super cool event you may ask? The (very appropriately named) Largest Trail Finder 2 Fun Run Challenge. For those that need further explanation, this was the largest gathering of TF2s outside of a RC4WD warehouse.

47 TF2s of various kinds showed up (including 39 Toyotas), the previous record was 18 held by a group in Canada. USA! USA!

Sidenote, 47 trucks in a line makes it hard to get a good picture.

Driving time!

Despite only living about 1.5 hours away, I had never been out to DLB but heard the trails were amazing. While everyone else went off to drive the C1 course with their hard body, leaf spring trucks, I took to the C2 courses. With my Bowhouse NC Yota axles and high clearance skidplate, I had the confidence to tackle the toughest terrain.

That's Bowhouse RC, where form follows FUNction!

(Now I've settled up my debt with New2Rocks, more on that in a minute)

Things are going to get real anticlimactic here because that is the only pic I got while driving. You can imagine driving a C1 hard body truck with a snow plow for a front bumper, a rear bumper that digs in on every climb, and a winch that wasn't working on a course meant for lexan trucks running 4.75 inch tires required a little focus. The courses were really challenging and things got really sketchy at times but I made it through both C2 courses.

What do a couple of C2 courses do to a TF2?

Good question.

The answer depends on your commitment to making it through the course. It cost me a rear leaf spring, all my bed hooks, the passenger side mirror, and a lot of paint.

Mr. Rocks hooked me up with a spare leaf spring and the TF2 was back in commission although looking a little worse for wear. I think it might be time to give the body a redo in order to embrace all the natural weathering that has since been acquired.

So, in conclusion, make it out to DLB next year if you have a TF2 and live on the east coast and I'll see you back here by next Halloween.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Nice pics, wish they would do something like that out west for leaf sprung hardbody TF2s! I'd be there with mine, looks like you had a great time!
Old 10-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Looks like a great time. Just jealous as I sit here at work right now getting wet from the rain. As I can't even think about hitting the trails as they are wet, so sad.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Nice pics, wish they would do something like that out west for leaf sprung hardbody TF2s! I'd be there with mine, looks like you had a great time!
If only California had cool scale truck events to attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Looks like a great time. Just jealous as I sit here at work right now getting wet from the rain. As I can't even think about hitting the trails as they are wet, so sad.
I'll be getting hit with 3-6 inches of rain from the remnants of Hurricane Micheal by tomorrow if it will make you feel better.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I'll be getting hit with 3-6 inches of rain from the remnants of Hurricane Micheal by tomorrow if it will make you feel better.
Mmmm, nope. But I do feel sorry for the people it effects. I wouldn't mind trying that rock 412 motor though. There was a time I was thinking about putting one of those I'm my tf. Instead went for the cc 1900 motor. No regrets though, very happy with my build.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Yes, I know what you mean, but nothing for C1 hardbody leaf sprung stuff specifically. Untill now...
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rc4wd-e...ts-53687517811
Old 02-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

It has been a while but this one got a makeover in preparation for USTE.

Obviously a fresh Marlin body was added. I bought one from ebay for either efficient use of limited time or maximum laziness. The correct choice is "yes".

This TF2 shackle reversal kit has been sitting around my shop for a while and it seemed like a pretty good time to install it.

Yay for proper Toyota-ness.

RC4WD has put out some pretty great low profile TF2 bumpers recently. I prefer the look of the new Tough Armor low profile TF2 bumper but that seems to be impossible to find at the moment so I went with this model for the 4runner body.

The bumper is made to fit the Warn mini winch but a couple of new holes and this 3Racing winch from the parts bin mounts up fine. I don't use the winch a ton but the bumper looks bare without one installed.

No more plantation-sized front porch.

Since the bumper is meant for the 4runner body, the bars that wrap around the body are too long and hit the fenders of the Mojave body. I cut 8 mm of the ends to make it fit right with this setup.

Also new is the rear bumper.

This is a Wertymade rear bumper made for a SCX10 and it happened to be pretty much spot on in size. I printed up a new rear bumper mount to allow it to be bolted up to the TF2 frame.

The final change was some new tires.

These 1.55 Rock Beasts were bought a while back for a project that I no longer remember. Also sitting unused were these RC4WD 1.55 steelies with the hard to find brake disc hubs. All were combined and installed to make better use of themselves than sitting in a cabinet.

What inspired this renovation? Contingency plans. The idea was if my GCM Skeleton build failed to get completed in time for USTE for whatever reason, the TF2 could be ready to go. Fortunately both got done and now I have 2 trucks for the trip to Florida.

Now you know what happened to this TF2, worry no more and get some sleep tonight.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #35

�� the DLB trail your speak of, is that the one here in North Carolina???
shhuskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhuskins View Post
�� the DLB trail your speak of, is that the one here in North Carolina???
That it is.

Trail Finder 2: An even trail finderier adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RPP Hobby - RC4WD Trail Finder 2 RTR - Scale Trail Run RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 09-08-2017 10:43 AM
RC Trucks-RC4WD D90 & Trail Finder 2 Mudding Trail-4x4 RC Adventure! neilsontf238 Scale Videos! 0 07-02-2017 04:47 PM
RC4WD Trail Finder 2 Hawaii Beach-Rock-Trail Run CAV-G Scale Videos! 0 11-17-2014 11:38 AM
13 Trucks mudding at Wallace Trail - Trail finder 2 tundra honcho dingo hummer Unimog boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-17-2012 05:11 PM