Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Trail Finder 2: An even trail finderier adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Trail Finder 2: An even trail finderier adventure

Trail Finder 2: as in the 2nd Trail Finder.

This makes it the next installment in the Trail Finder franchise; a sequel if you will. If there is one thing people love in this world, it is sequels. Jaws 2 was twice as good as Jaws (as the number would indicate), Coke II was a huge success at increasing the number of available Cokes, and Speed II had 1000X more boats that the original. Can the Trail Finder 2 (or TF2 as I call it because we are close like that) live up to those lofty standards? We already know the answer is yes because it has been out for like 30 years but I'm going to build one anyway.

Come follow me on this journey as I build a fresh truck for the GCM Adventure Series that is only 2 weeks away. Will I make it?

With no time to waste, here is a long, drawn out backstory (as with any great sequel).

The GCM Adventure Series is a G6-esque weekend long event with an emphasis on scale trucks. I have ran the previous 2 events with this:

My GCM Skeleton.

It is an awesome truck that drives great and looks very yellow. This truck is so solid that I could probably drive the next 10 events with it and have no problems. This is clearly not possible because showing up with the same truck 3 times in a row is some kind of scale nerd violation.

Thus brings me to the need for a new truck. Why a TF2 you ask? That is a very good question. You see, I actually have 3 trucks being build that would be appropriate for this event and this it the one I decided could actually be running in time. So, in summary, I'm building a TF2 because of poor time management. Doesn't sound at all like me, right?

Arnold, how do you feel about being replaced for the next event?

He's sad or thrilled or having a stroke, I'm never actually sure.

Let's build some junk.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Trail Finder 2: An even trail finderier adventure

I am completely committed to producing a high quality build thread, so much so that I cleaned off my workbench.

In actuality, I shoved everything about 2 feet to the left.

You don't want to see the floor.

Anyway, we begin with a box. It is very box-like but not too boxy. The design is a little outside the box for a box but I'm glad the designer wasn't boxed in by typical box architecture. Enough box related buzzwords, this isn't a MBA course.

Since I pride myself on high production value, I used a prop box. Hollywood stuff.

One of the first things I did was crack open the axles, shim the gears, grease everything up, and install XVDs. Then I promptly threw them in the parts bin. Why would I do such a thing? That is a very good question that deserves an answer.

Through the magic of the internet: I present most of a truck.

Standard TF2 stuff was done like Gelande shock hoops with 90mm Superlift shocks.

90mm Superlifts in the rear also. Red leaf springs with full length black helper springs underneath support the whole thing. An aluminum bumper mount with a RC4WD Tough Armor bumper make better noises when I hit things.

The same steel bumper and aluminum mount treatment up front for improved crashing performance. A #2 bumper mount in the front raises everything up an approach angle slightly better than a snow plow. A winch was added for winching.

A Traxxas mini servo handles the shifting duties. An Axial servo saver was added to help keep the cheap yet expensive Traxxas servo alive. Everything is kept low as possible for reasons yet to be revealed. Notice the ESC sitting not on the electronics plate? I made a fiberglass plate that bolts to the electronics plate for additional space. Much room will be needed.

Being the big shot poster with 10s of readers that I am, you would assume I have connections. You would be right. I know a guy that tells a guy to make stuff. One of those thing the one guy told the other to make is this awesome Bowhouse skid. Mucho clearance-o. Junfac driveshafts were also added.

So remember how I threw the stock axles into my parts bin? That guy that I know that has a guy that makes things also make these ridiculously awesome Bowhouse NCYota axles. Imagine all the performance of durability of Ascender axles in a scale housing that bolts on to your TF2. Now stop imagining because they are right there.

The matching front axle. No more weak diff gears, easy to strip knuckle screws, sloppy knuckle bushings, or lame steering.

I made an absurdly overbuilt 3/16" stainless tierod for steering duties and to handle all the anticipated crashing.

Now you know were things are in my race to the Adventure Series. Stay tuned as I tackle things like electronics and the body, I can promise it will be as fun as watching paint dry (ha! body work humor, pure gold). Feel free to cheer on my progress or root for the likely failure to meet my goal, its fun for someone either way.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #3

So the Bowhouse Yota axles use Ascender internals?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
So the Bowhouse Yota axles use Ascender internals?
The ring and pinion, bearings, and knuckles are all Ascender parts. The CVDs are made for GCM and match the offset front axle.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Gather round good sirs and (possibly but unlikely) ladies as I regale you with tales of TF2 building. Who's ready? Great.

I have spent much time over the past 2 nights painting. My hands have been turned a variety of colors and I have probably shortened my life by 3 years by inhaling fumes but progress has been made.

First, I modified some RC4WD inner fenders to fit around the Gelande shock hoops. Can a scale build be complete without inner fenders? Seriously, can it? I don't really know what I'm doing.

I painted them on the inside and outside so when the outside inevitably gets scratched up, they are still black. That's called forethought (I had to look that one up since I don't use it much).

Moving on to more important painting: the body of this truck had some personal inspiration.

My cousin had a junky 1986 Toyota pickup kinda like this but with much, much more rust.

"Who cares about a lame 2wd pile of junk" you may wonder. Well, my cousin is 4 years older than me and that was his first car. When an older sibling or friend gets that first car, a whole new world of freedom is opened. You can now go places and do things that were previously inaccessible under the tyranny of parental transport. Sure, that truck had more holes than sheet metal in the bed, ripped seats, a cracked dash, an occasionally functional radio, and required about a can of starting fluid any time the temp dropped below 50* but none of that mattered in the good, old days. That truck will forever hold a place in the section of my heart dedicated to the great vehicles of my lifetime.

With my color inspiration set, paint was slung.

Not bad.

My shop minions (aka me) are clumsy and this thing is getting beat up way more than a freshly painted body should.

Oh well, it's still pretty good for a 30+ year old truck. Whatever, my fault for using cheap labor.

The lower valance has been hacked off the grill and paint has been added.

Interior time!

My inspiration truck had the incredibly 80's blue on blue on blue look going on, much like this:

After much hacking, sanding, gluing, filling, more sanding, priming, more sanding, more filling, more sanding, more priming, painting, and more painting, I ended up with this:

It is a Bruiser interior mated to the stock TF2 dash combined with some poorly made door panels. I even made an attempt at arm rests, I know they are not proper Toyota ones but I get credit for effort, right?

Much work was done to make it look as cruddy and worn as the beloved truck I remember. It looks pretty good or bad, whatever one makes it sound like it turned out the way it should.

The logical companion to a Bruiser interior is a Bruiser driver.

That's right, I assembled and painted my own driver. How awesome am I?

Wait. Everyone does that around here? I'm not special? Well, Facebook will think I'm some kind of scale god.

The more I look at him, the more I think he looks like a colossal jerk. Like one of those guys who thinks they are so important they speak in acronyms because they don't have time to use real words but still makes everyone call him Jonathan instead of Jon. If I just described anyone in RCC land, people will have to refer to you as Jon 812 times today in order to make up the super important time you lost reading this junk.

Officially, his name is Ronald and don't call him Ron. I don't know why he looks like he has a giant stick up his...

Oh. I have been informed Ronald lost his rear end in an unfortunate running of the bulls accident after sitting on a ketchup packet. We will all try to be more sensitive.

All for now, stay tuned for further TF2 updates as the GCM Adventure Series at Uwharrie rapidly approaches. Tickets are still available, get yours by going to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gcm-adv...99190?aff=eac2 (New2Rocks now owes me $5).

Last edited by svt923; 09-14-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Good work, sir.

What brand paint and what colors did you use for the driver? I have two that I need painted, but are in ghost form (white - no paint) at the moment.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
Good work, sir.

What brand paint and what colors did you use for the driver? I have two that I need painted, but are in ghost form (white - no paint) at the moment.
The paint is a combo of Tamiya and Parma. I would have used all Tamiya paint but I didn't have enough colors and had to improvise a bit. The Parma paint will need a coat of clear over the top since it is water soluble and can still wash off when dry.

The skin is Tamiya flat flesh paint.

Tamiya Acrylic Mini XF-15 Flat Flesh 1/3 oz | TowerHobbies.com

The hair is a mix of Parma Faskolor brown (the stuff for lexan bodies) with an acrylic black wash over the top. The jacket is also Parma paint that I mixed up until I was happy with the color.

The pants are a Tamiya blue, don't remember what color exactly but it is close to denim. Possibly this one:

Tamiya Acrylic Mini XF-18 Medium Blue 1/3 oz | TowerHobbies.com
Old 09-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thank you, sir.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Nice build so far sir! I enjoy reading your build threads, always good for a laugh! . Not sure how I missed the boat on the bowhouse axles, but I have been wanting some better axles for my tf2, for all the same reasons you listed, mainly the horrible steering angle. I didn't realize they used vaterra gears and knuckles. Now I just need gcm to get the axle kits, back in stock!
LukeKang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

So its a lovely Wednesday morning here in Raleigh; the weather is getting cooler (by cooler, I mean it will only be 83* today), the skies are clear, and the sun is shining. The weekend will be upon us before we know it.

What?!? The weekend is almost here? I better get building a truck.

Picking up from where we left off, the body has been bolted together. I even plopped it on the chassis to see how things fit.

Not bad, not bad at all. Looks kinda like some kind of truck.

The front bumper could stand to be raised up even higher and those leaf springs are pathetically flat. What's a couple more things on the to-do list when you're already behind?

About a 1000 feet of 250 lb line has been added to the Warn winch because its orange and orange things are automatically 608% safer than any other color.

The interior is looking wonderfully 80's which means it is visually offensive. So blue, so very unapologetically blue.

Stupid, smug Ronald basking in the glory of driving a truck he didn't so much as pick up a wrench to build. Lousy, spoiled, entitled middle agers. Back in my day! Right, sorry.

Yeah, seriously, I hammered this panel back in place like 8 times. I know, you can't even tell. Better than stock.

So I wanted a roll bar for this truck but realized that was stupid. This is a total comp truck, why would I want a bar that helps me roll? So I went with an anti roll bar for the obvious performance advantage.

The fit was terrible, Vanquish really missed the mark on this one. So I took it off and replaced it with a RC4WD jungle gym. Now my truck is like a rolling playground.

Looks appropriate trucky.

As a build that is already on a highly sketchy timeline for completion, I decided I should further delay things. The mirror that come with the TF2 are pretty sweet. It is decidedly not sweet that they are solid black, it is terrible for actually seeing things. So I cut some styrene, painted it chrome, and glued it on so the mirrors actually resemble mirrors.

I hope this reflects positively on my build.

With that pun, I must bid everyone farewell until next time where I will undoubtedly be further behind.

Last edited by svt923; 09-20-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeKang77 View Post
Nice build so far sir! I enjoy reading your build threads, always good for a laugh! . Not sure how I missed the boat on the bowhouse axles, but I have been wanting some better axles for my tf2, for all the same reasons you listed, mainly the horrible steering angle. I didn't realize they used vaterra gears and knuckles. Now I just need gcm to get the axle kits, back in stock!
They are incredibly sweet axles and there is a version to fit just about any build. If you really want to get some axles built, the CVDs and axle shafts are really the only unique parts (which are in stock). Everything else can be sourced from a Vaterra dealer and a few companies make the drive shaft adapters now. The full hardware kit is much more convenient though.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

That looks awesome! That's the same color I wanted to paint a Mojave body, because my dad had an earlier model with the round lights in that color, albeit rusted to shit.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Nice update, thanks for the laughs
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Who wants to see me shoot myself in the foot again?

That was metaphorical you bloodthirsty savages.

I was trying to segway into talking about tires because some people refer to tires as shoes. You know, shoes and feet. Whatever, you ruined it so I'm moving on.

My original plan for tires were these Pitbull Growlers on Incision 1.9 wheels.

The plan was to use these because I had them mounted up already, the Growlers are solid tires, and, more importantly, I had them mounted already. The more I look at them, the less I like them. The stretched tire look isn't a favorite of mine but I had tires with no wheels and wheels with no tires so they were forcibly married like the children of nobles in the 1500s. These won't do, way too nice for this turk.

I turned to my collection of tires for some options.

Baja MTZ on Gmade wheels

Tires aren't bad but not feeling the white wheels.

KLR ATs on Vanquish KMC wheels

Way, way too nice.

Hmm, 1.55 Rock Beasts?

No, those are for another build. Stop getting distracted.

Fine, is this better?

Yes, much. The Growlers on 1.55 SSD steel wheels are the winner. Steel wheels are appropriately cheap for a Toyota of this ilk.

Where does the foot shooting come in?

I now have to unmount and remount 3 more tires. Doh.

While I'm here, want to hear about how I mounted the body?

The New2Rocks method of captured screws was modified into my completely unique method so really he gets no credit. The body mount screws were glued into the body so they don't move or turn then filled in for the smooth look on the outside.

The posts on the chassis were drilled out with a 3mm bit so the screws just slip in and out. The body gets slightly stretched over the posts so the screws can fit in and that is all. Very solid once done.

I promised that I would be even further behind and I deliver on my promises. Except when those promises are to build a truck by a specific date, then the results are a lot more spotty.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Totally forgot to post this, now its out of date.

Too bad. You will read it and like it dammit!

Anyway, on with the story.

In much more surprising news, I have a truck that moves under it's own power.

It only took me until the day before I leave for an event that has been scheduled for months to finish a truck I bought over a year ago. I know, you're impressed by my hustle and go-getter attitude.

No matter how far behind you are, there is always time for some things. Like toasting marshmallows or covering egregious gaps between the body and chassis. I made up these quick inner fenders but didn't toast any marshmallows.

I also got around to putting some arch back in the leaf springs. Look the shackles actually point down now. Much more betterer.

In addition to an incredibly efficient user of time, I'm also incredibly organized. Take a look at this wiring job:

Pristine.

In there somewhere is a Axial ESC, Castle BEC, Heyok winch controller, and a Flysky 6 channel receiver.

I also took the time to maximize my "crap thrown on to the truck" points by adding a gas can in a milk crate to rattle around in the bed. You may be confused how I intend to run a scale truck without a shovel, axe, cooler, sleeping bag, jack, spare tire, grill, water jug, sand ladders, refrigerator, canoe, bicycle, skateboard, rocket launcher, wooden crate, fire extinguisher, AK-47, and dog zip tied to the roof. I'm confused too.

Last but not least, some SSD hubs were thrown on because I enjoy the extra challenge of not being able to remove my wheels when the installation tool inevitably gets lost. It's called commitment.

Well, it would appear that I am ready to shove off to Uwharrie. I wonder how badly I can screw this up in the next 12 hours or so.

In my next installment, I will amaze you with pretty pictures of my driving prowess and tell you which of my electronics failed.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbox View Post
The descriptions you have make it so much more fun to read the build thread.
Thanks

I went to college twice so I can write about RCs in my spare time.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Wonderful and delightful pictures were promised (or something like that, I don't really pay attention to what I write) and thus will be delivered.

At this point, my TF2 was running so all that was left to do was pack up and shove off.

Shameless Jeep picture. #jeeplife

Here we are: GCM Adventure Series - Fall 2017

It was a beautiful fall weekend in North Carolina. The sky was clear and no hurricanes were causing trees to fall on unsuspecting tents of scale royalty. The temperatures were in the mid 80s during the day; Canadians were melting. The woods were serene and quiet except for the sounds of birds, the whirring of electric motors, and the occasional thumping techno music during the night. All was right for a weekend of tiny trucking.

A few others showed up as well.

Hard bodies, so many hard bodies. My faith in humanity has been slightly restored.

A few trucks you may recognize were there.

There were other, less famous (but still awesome) trucks as well.

And, by far and away most importantly, I was there.

That is a mighty fine Toyota.

I know, "sweet table shots, bro!" There is more.

Action time!

As with any junky old truck, I had a tail light burn out by the time I hit the first gate.

I was just slaying gates all day long. Marvel at my driving skill that is clearly demonstrated through still photography.

Like a tiny truck postcard. Wish you were here.

The Bowhouse NCYota axles and TF2 skid are awesome, go buy them. I mean like right now, go buy them.

I'll wait.

Done?

Good, we can continue.

The steering was awesome all weekend, they don't grab on rocks, and they were bound up quite a few times in situations that I'm sure would have toasted the RC4WD ring and pinion. The extra clearance from the skidplate made a huge difference as well. Obviously, not dragging on every rock or tree root helps with performance. There is a distinct possibility that I know nothing however. Use this information as you see fit.

Some of the courses had large sections where you were constantly sidehilling. The TF2 handled these quite well. Yay for low, stiff leaf spring suspension.

My weekend was not without it's mechanical follies though. The biggest problem I had was a slipper that loosened up on the first course. You can imagine how enjoyable driving is when your truck can't actually drive over anything bigger than a stick without all power being wasted at the slipper. I limped through the first course and tightened the slipped down back at camp. Things were good on that front for the rest of the weekend.

Yesterday I took bets on what electronics failed this past weekend (not here, get over it). Now it's time for the answer to yesterday's trivia question regarding electronic failures.

Some guy submitted servo.

This answer gets partial credit because it was a partial failure of the shift servo. I could shift into low gear just fine but trying to go to high gear produced awful, grating noises of clicking gears. The internals of the Traxxas servo aren't long for this world.

The full credit answer was winch controller. My HeyOK relay controller met an untimely death before the first gate. I went to pull in some winch line so the hook wouldn't get caught when driving and when I let go of the winch button on the radio, the winch wasn't stopping. I unplugged the battery in order to save my winch motor but when the battery was plugged back in, the winch no longer worked, the relay was no longer clicking, and I was making use of a tow strap for the rest of the weekend.

I'll get a new winch controller to solve that issue but the other problems were directly related to the 2 speed transmission. If only there was some way to both eliminate the slipper and the 2 speed in one part. Do you see where I'm going with this? If you do, can you tell me?

Thus concludes chapter 1 of this TF2 adventure. Chapter 2 will include some new parts, more driving, and many pointless words.

Stay tuned for either the next chapter or maybe just a whole new build. I'm full of surprises.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Great build and thanks for the pics at gtg, love the Bowhouse Yota axles with Ascender internals, solves the main problem with this truck very nicely! I had an 85 Yota that same blue, blue, blue and the door handles iirc were almost exactly what you crafted!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:50 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Good morning RCC (or whatever the appropriate greeting is for the time in your part of the world, its not my job to keep up with these things).

Anyone remember this from way back on page 1?

Yeah, that was fun while it lasted but progress waits for no man.

As Abraham Lincoln famously never said, "great things may come to those who wait but better things come to those who impulsively pull their trucks apart." Maybe I got that wrong but he totally could have slipped that into the Gettysburg Address.

This update would have been a lot better if it wasn't for stupid Columbus Day. Any holiday where I don't get mail but still have to go to work is completely worthless. Can anyone else relate to the inner rage that results when the parts you ordered sit for more than 24 hours in a building 15 minutes from your house? Everyone, right? I'll assume everyone is raising their hands.

More better updates to come soon.

Last edited by svt923; 10-17-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #20

There are some amazing trucks here!!!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Trail Finder 2: An even trail finderier adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RPP Hobby - RC4WD Trail Finder 2 RTR - Scale Trail Run RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 09-08-2017 10:43 AM
RC Trucks-RC4WD D90 & Trail Finder 2 Mudding Trail-4x4 RC Adventure! neilsontf238 Scale Videos! 0 07-02-2017 04:47 PM
RC4WD Trail Finder 2 Hawaii Beach-Rock-Trail Run CAV-G Scale Videos! 0 11-17-2014 11:38 AM
13 Trucks mudding at Wallace Trail - Trail finder 2 tundra honcho dingo hummer Unimog boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-17-2012 05:11 PM