Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Jato The Trail Finder 2 - Leaf Spring Mafia Edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #121

Default Re: Jato The Trail Finder 2 - Leaf Spring Mafia Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchimp View Post
You hate them? I think they’re nice - I don’t care for the sidewall but they’re very scale and small. The 1.55s are basically the same but with an A/T tread pattern. They’re small so I doubt you’d be crazy about them. The Blazer is basically a 1/10 scale so the Boom or Axial are like a 33 or 34 inch tires on a 1:1 rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bead is tiny and difficult to mount. The stock foams are garbage. The rubber compound isn't that great.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #122
Rock Crawler

Default Jato The Trail Finder 2 - Leaf Spring Mafia Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
So apparently the general consensus is that my rear axle doesn't lineup with the body because the springs are too flat. I am going to attempt to give them more arch. What's the best way to reform the leaf springs without kinking them?
Wait you want an 80s style lifted leaf sprung truck, and thought you wouldn’t have to rig anything?

LOL, That’s not gonna happen. Welcome back to the future.

Don’t over think it, flip the truck over and bend, massage the leafs to where you need the axle to be. You’ll most likely have to do it again.

As far as the wheel openings, I’d open them up a tad, at least in the front. I’ve chopped the bottom off of every Hilux I’ve had and it’s a big improvement. The Blazer body is huge, and the yota has a lot of overhang in the rear. Both of them will take some getting used to.

I know the build is frustrating you, but it’ll be worth it. My TF2 is my favorite truck to drive. It’s got a little bounce, and if set up right can make it up more than you’d think it would. On hikes, or walking trails its a blast as well.

I posted this in another thread, so I copy pasta for you.

Smaller 1.9s work well on the TF2, but it depends on your style. The Proline tsl SX are a favorite, and I’m gonna try the 1.9 MT/Rs. I need a tire that is a 4.19 for the events I run around here.

Here’s a few different tires in TF2s:

1.9 Proline TSL SX

1.9 4.19 RC4WD MT/R

1.7 4.19 RC4WD MT/R (I think)

1.55 Pitbull Growlers

1.9 4.19 Pitbull ATX
(I think, I’m sure the interwebs will let me know)

(Never skip a leg day)

If you want smaller, the RC4WD Mickey Thompson MTZ is a nice size and performs well.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #123
Rock Crawler

Oh, I almost forgot to add... the Ubolts.. yeah, I waited forever because I didn’t want to pay $60 for them. I finally did and they were worth it. The O-ring mod works well, as do the shims for the SWB kit, but RC4WD doesn’t sell those separately... which sucks.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:45 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
Wait you want an 80s style lifted leaf sprung truck, and thought you wouldn’t have to rig anything?

LOL, That’s not gonna happen. Welcome back to the future.

Don’t over think it, flip the truck over and bend, massage the leafs to where you need the axle to be. You’ll most likely have to do it again.

As far as the wheel openings, I’d open them up a tad, at least in the front. I’ve chopped the bottom off of every Hilux I’ve had and it’s a big improvement. The Blazer body is huge, and the yota has a lot of overhang in the rear. Both of them will take some getting used to.

I know the build is frustrating you, but it’ll be worth it. My TF2 is my favorite truck to drive. It’s got a little bounce, and if set up right can make it up more than you’d think it would. On hikes, or walking trails its a blast as well.
It's not the 80's. This scale truck was designed and built in the 2000's. I should be able to build it and run it out of the box without redneck engineering. RC4WD failed here. The quality control is piss poor.

I built both of my GMade Sawbacks, which are leaf spring rigs, out of the box and they work fine and continue to work fine. RC4WD is the problem.

Issues made me lose interest in this build and more issues as I picked it back up made me lose interest again.

Now that I just bought my TRX-4 this is on the back burner again. Once I get my body back and painted from a friend I might pick up this build again. At this point I'm contemplating selling it though.

Thanks for the pictures of the tires.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #125
Rock Crawler

All good man, just trying to give ya some levity. If you can get past the issues, you’ll enjoy the truck. It’s by far the most fun rig in my stable. RC4WD should get those issues resolved, they are small enough that it should be easy to change on the fly.

Don’t be a quitter. It’ll be worth it.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
All good man, just trying to give ya some levity. If you can get past the issues, you’ll enjoy the truck. It’s by far the most fun rig in my stable. RC4WD should get those issues resolved, they are small enough that it should be easy to change on the fly.

Don’t be a quitter. It’ll be worth it.
I'm not a quitter. I just hate low quality products like this truck.

People on this site all the time want to complain about how Chinese knockoffs are garbage, but they're willing to deal with issues when it's the $400 real thing. I don't understand it.

I don't settle for shit products in any area of my life. RC is no different. A lot of others are willing to trade quality for scaleness. Not me.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #127
I wanna be Dave

JatoTheHater
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #128
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
JatoTheHater
Old 02-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
JatoTheHater
n00bTheB00b

See I can do it too.

It's not hating when it's the truth. Read the build. This truck hasn't been fine. It's had numerous issues. The quality control sucks.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:14 AM   #130
I wanna be Dave

If it makes you feel better, your certainly not alone. My Tf2 kit has been over a year in the making while I fab parts to make it work correctly. Like drilling the knuckles to take trunion bearings because the stock kingpin bushings were extremely loose in the knuckles, to making spring hangers to put the front shackles at the rear of the spring, making rear hangers to fix the lockout shackle issue and wheelbase, making mounts to flip the servo, motor, trans, and transfer so the driveshaft and steering drag link are on the correct sides.

The stock shocks literally fell apart trying to install them. The stock axle shimming was certainly doomed due to how loose the gear mesh was. Much of the hardware had deformed threads or heads, which I refuse to use.

I really like the idea of a 1/10 hilux, but its been a hassle getting there. I'm lucky enough to have other properly designed trucks to play with when this one frustrates me. I'm sorry for anyone who picks a tf2 as there first truck. Now I kinda wish I got just the body to stick on a shortened and narrowed ascender. I'm too deep into now, so I keep plugging away.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
If it makes you feel better, your certainly not alone. My Tf2 kit has been over a year in the making while I fab parts to make it work correctly. Like drilling the knuckles to take trunion bearings because the stock kingpin bushings were extremely loose in the knuckles, to making spring hangers to put the front shackles at the rear of the spring, making rear hangers to fix the lockout shackle issue and wheelbase, making mounts to flip the servo, motor, trans, and transfer so the driveshaft and steering drag link are on the correct sides.

The stock shocks literally fell apart trying to install them. The stock axle shimming was certainly doomed due to how loose the gear mesh was. Much of the hardware had deformed threads or heads, which I refuse to use.

I really like the idea of a 1/10 hilux, but its been a hassle getting there. I'm lucky enough to have other properly designed trucks to play with when this one frustrates me. I'm sorry for anyone who picks a tf2 as there first truck. Now I kinda wish I got just the body to stick on a shortened and narrowed ascender. I'm too deep into now, so I keep plugging away.
I feel your pain.

I know I'm not alone. Outside of some of the people on this site that wear blinders there are a lot of people that have quality issues with the trucks. I'll get back on it for sure and make it work, but I just lost interest for now.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #132
RCC Addict

RC4WD's quality isn't the greatest. I guess most just deal with it since they are really the most scale looking/performing trucks readily available? Thankfully most of the issues are small and easy to fix, but obviously I'd rather not HAVE to take apart a brand new kit/RTR to threadlock every screw, grease every gear, and re-shim diffs.

From a durability standpoint, driveshafts, leaf springs, and diff gears were the only problems I had. My LWB bent or broke leaf springs fairly easily.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #133

I got my painted Yota body back from my friend so I'm going to restart and finish this build in hopes to have my first trail run Sunday.

How are you guys running 1.55 Pitbull Rock Beasts without severe body rubbing in the front when turning the tires and flexing?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #134
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
How are you guys running 1.55 Pitbull Rock Beasts without severe body rubbing in the front when turning the tires and flexing?
Almost every TF2 I have seen running tires bigger than about 3.75 inches has some of the front fender cut off. Trimming below the bumper attached to the body isn't too noticeable and provides a little more clearance. Cutting everything off below the grill provides the most clearance but not everyone wants the hardcore offroader look.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Almost every TF2 I have seen running tires bigger than about 3.75 inches has some of the front fender cut off. Trimming below the bumper attached to the body isn't too noticeable and provides a little more clearance. Cutting everything off below the grill provides the most clearance but not everyone wants the hardcore offroader look.
Thanks. It seems to rub at the back of the front fender as well. I wonder if my wheels have too much offset.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #136

I started finishing the body last night. (Started finishing? Really? Give me a break. It's early.) I'm really happy with my color selection. It's similar to another TF2 on this thread although I forget whose. My friend did a good job painting - much better than my impatient self would have done. Just painting the lenses was testing my patience last night. :LMAO: I want to figure out a good way to put the black surround on the tail lights. Any suggestions?

I also put on smaller hubs on my Motoworx wheels and narrowed the truck up. This definitely gave me more clearance of the fenders when turning the wheels.

This color doesn't photograph well indoors so this morning I took some outside shots before work.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #137
Go Buckeyes!

That looks awesome Jato!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
That looks awesome Jato!
Thank you!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #139
RCC Addict

Great color choice!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Great color choice!
Thanks! Was it yours that I borrowed the color from?