Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Thloftus’ TF2 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Thloftus’ TF2 build

This will be my first build thread, although I've previously built and modified two Axial kits (Bomber and SCX10 G6) and started RC with a nitro Slash -- sweet ride that's awesome for high-speed bashing and was a fun way to get into wrenching RCs.

Leaf spring suspensions are definitely new to me and I've never owned a RC4WD kit. You'll have to pardon potential delays between posts due to family/kids/work. I'm trying to do the build with my kids, which should add to the adventure, although won't lead to speedy outcomes ...

My TF2 arrived last Thursday from RPP; super fast service as always and everything was in perfect shape when I opened the box.

Started with the wheels and tires since it was too hard to leave them for last. I used the two supplied m2 x 14 screws to get the wheels started, as outlined in the instructions. This made assembly reasonably easy. See JatoTheRipper's thread for another method that sounds easier still: Jato The Trail Finder 2 - Leaf Spring Mafia Edition

I'd recommend getting a m4 nut driver for the tiny nuts on the wheels. I picked up a decent one from Dynamite for around $4 at my LHS. You could probably use tweezers instead ... yikes!

I’m planning to use a HH Crawlmaster 13T for the motor and a Traxxas 2055 servo that I pulled off the Slash for the 2-speed shifter. I have a Crawlmaster in my SCX10 and have really enjoyed it. I haven’t picked a speed controller or steering servo. Suggestions welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Thloftus; 11-15-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #2

Default Re: Thloftus’ TF2 build

I'm glad you started the thread. Thanks for the mention.

I have that motor in my Ascender and really like it.

Checkout the HobbyWing WP 1080 ESC. It's great. I have it in two trucks and my TF2 is getting one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Great to see I'm not the only one that's slow to build this tf. I'm around six months now and still building. Good luck on your build.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Great to see I'm not the only one that's slow to build this tf. I'm around six months now and still building. Good luck on your build.

Good luck to you too! I know how you feel - I’ve been working on a fairly simple paint job for my SCX10 for around 2.5 months ... builds character, Lol!

Old 10-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
6 months!

Amateur.

I bought my TF2 in October 2015 and finished it a little over a week ago. That is called commitment to procrastination.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Ok you win, haha. I understand and feel the same as some. For me it's very little free time to myself. I work 70-80 hours a week. My days off consist of watching the kids and trying to do activities, riding, hiking, house stuff, car stuff, etc. I'm shooting for a goal of 2018 summer, time will tell.

I know this is always a debate, but for me rtr's are the best way for me to get rc's than upgrade vs getting a kit each time.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
6 months!

Amateur.

I bought my TF2 in October 2015 and finished it a little over a week ago. That is called commitment to procrastination.

Nice!

Old 10-02-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ok you win, haha. I understand and feel the same as some. For me it's very little free time to myself. I work 70-80 hours a week. My days off consist of watching the kids and trying to do activities, riding, hiking, house stuff, car stuff, etc. I'm shooting for a goal of 2018 summer, time will tell.

I know this is always a debate, but for me rtr's are the best way for me to get rc's than upgrade vs getting a kit each time.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

I know how you feel about minimal free time!

Old 10-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Here’s the progress for today: mounted a second tire and put them on the front axle. The scale aspect of this kit is awesome. I’m starting to understand the recommendation for picking up stainless hardware; have to be pretty careful with the m2 screws!

Old 10-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Finished the paint job for my SCX10 that I mentioned above. Sort of hijacking my own thread so I’ll keep it to one picture, Lol. Truck started as a G6. I like it better as a truggy! Probably used up my RC time for the weekend ... we’ll be back on the TF2 this week.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ok, so more like purchases than progress, but so it goes.

Went with the standard upgrades: Gelande II shock hoops and 90 mm shocks for the front axle, Team KNK stainless hardware set, and JunFac steel drive shafts. I found the shocks half price on ebay (kitted out RTR); RPP had a 15% off sale last weekend that helped with the hardware and drive shafts. The shafts look awesome. I haven’t used JunFac before, but have high hopes based on my first look.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #13

First, as Levi can attest, taking your time is no issue with a TF2 kit. I purchased my kit last Spring and have just finished it... well, not really as I still want to replace the bumper, install the lighting kit, install a winch, fix the topper mounting, etc. Always a work in progress.

The GII hoops and longer shocks do wonders for your down travel. The up travel is still next to zero, but there is little you can do about that. JTR recommended the HW 1080 and I can agree. For a budget ESC it will work great. I have one in a GII Cruiser and it has worked well thus far (limited time, admittedly). In my TF2 I have a Mamba X with a brushless CC motor and it is fantastic! With the latest firmware it is just a pleasure to use. Good luck and keep at it.

BTW - I really like the SCX10 Ford... looks very good. Well done sir.
TKW75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #14

One last item I forgot to mention. I have the JunFAc shafts on my GII Cruiser. They are nice units. However, you will most likely need to take a dremel or the equivalent to the input shafts on the transfer case and axles. The input shafts are just too long to allow the retaining pin holes to line up with the JunFac shaft locations. Not a big job at all (took me 5 minutes with a dremel) but just be aware that it is most likely going to be necessary.

Enjoy!
Old 10-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKW75 View Post
First, as Levi can attest, taking your time is no issue with a TF2 kit. I purchased my kit last Spring and have just finished it... well, not really as I still want to replace the bumper, install the lighting kit, install a winch, fix the topper mounting, etc. Always a work in progress.
I agree. That’s a big part of the fun for me!

Quote:
The GII hoops and longer shocks do wonders for your down travel. The up travel is still next to zero, but there is little you can do about that. JTR recommended the HW 1080 and I can agree. For a budget ESC it will work great. I have one in a GII Cruiser and it has worked well thus far (limited time, admittedly). In my TF2 I have a Mamba X with a brushless CC motor and it is fantastic! With the latest firmware it is just a pleasure to use. Good luck and keep at it.
Thank you for the input! I’m still debating the esc. It’s hard to pass up the HW 1080. Mamba X + brushless also sounds sweet. Probably just a few months to narrow things down ... or maybe sometime next year!

Quote:
BTW - I really like the SCX10 Ford... looks very good. Well done sir.
Thank you very much! I was excited to see how it turned out ... several months to get that far, Lol! I hadn’t tried numbers before. Not sure what to think of liquid mask. Might have been easier with masking tape.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
One last item I forgot to mention. I have the JunFAc shafts on my GII Cruiser. They are nice units. However, you will most likely need to take a dremel or the equivalent to the input shafts on the transfer case and axles. The input shafts are just too long to allow the retaining pin holes to line up with the JunFac shaft locations. Not a big job at all (took me 5 minutes with a dremel) but just be aware that it is most likely going to be necessary.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip! I do have a dremel. Did you use one of the standard grinding wheels or did you have to use something fancier?

Old 10-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Thanks for the tip! I do have a dremel. Did you use one of the standard grinding wheels or did you have to use something fancier?

I just used the sanding drum that my kit came with. Worked like a champ. If you want a pic just let me know. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I just used the sanding drum that my kit came with. Worked like a champ. If you want a pic just let me know. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!

Old 10-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I have to say the dremal is probably my favorite tool for rc projects. Great tool all around. I borrowed a friend a once or twice than after that it was time to get my own and I was hooked.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:03 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have to say the dremal is probably my favorite tool for rc projects. Great tool all around. I borrowed a friend a once or twice than after that it was time to get my own and I was hooked.
No doubt!

Thloftus’ TF2 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My First TF2 Build Rich Trujillo RC4WD Trail Finder 2 11 08-27-2016 09:57 AM
My TF2/M2 build 1tonblazer RC4WD Trail Finder 2 26 03-26-2016 02:18 PM
my tf2 build 1320king RC4WD Trail Finder 2 13 08-12-2014 12:30 PM
New (to me) TF2 Build tomvaillencourt RC4WD Trail Finder 2 47 04-11-2014 10:27 PM