Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: TF2 RC4WD Topper Mounting Ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #1

Default TF2 RC4WD Topper Mounting Ideas

Hi all,

I have a RC4WD topper that I am installing on my TF2. Or at least, I was installing it when the long mounting rails cracked and failed at the mounting boss locations. I had used some Velcro on the inside of the bed rails and inside of the mounting rails. I had installed the topper and wanted to adjust it, so I started to remove the topper when the rails failed. I have contacted RC4WD to see if they have any replacement rails available, but I am thinking that they do not. The rails were very loose inside of the bed, which is why I went with some Velcro. Also, I wanted it removable.

In lieu of the plastic rails, I am thinking that I can come up with a replacement system that will be a little more robust to removal/replacement. My goal is to have the topper secure but non-permanent. I have looked around and while there are many images of the topper on the trucks, I cannot find anything for mounting it to the truck.

If anyone has undertaken a new/replacement/updated mounting for a bed topper, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Tim in Michigan
TKW75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TF2 RC4WD Topper Mounting Ideas

I've seen other use rare earth magnets to hold the body on the chassis. I just purchased some to use to hold the body on my build. Maybe there's a way to use them to hold the topper on. I heard they have a strong hold.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
I've seen other use rare earth magnets to hold the body on the chassis. I just purchased some to use to hold the body on my build. Maybe there's a way to use them to hold the topper on. I heard they have a strong hold.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I am definitely going to look into the magnet route. I am hopeful that I can get some replacement rails through RC4WD. I thought about some custom metal mounts but that would just transfer the failure mode to the topper itself, and that is a much more expensive and difficult item to replace/enhance. RC4WD is checking to see if they can get some rails from the factory for me.

More to come.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

Brief update, RC4WD does not have any toppers in stock to rob the rails from, so I am going it alone. I glued the broken bits back into one, less than stable piece. I will use this as a basis/template for what ever I come up with. I think my local hobby shop has some angle plastic that I may try and use. Once I come up with a plan I will provide an update.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
RCC Addict

My topper came in witingh one mounting rail broken. Haven't tried to glue it back yet. I'm gonna try using magnets to mounting n removing. I'll post here when I finally get to mounting mine.
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino438 View Post
My topper came in witingh one mounting rail broken. Haven't tried to glue it back yet. I'm gonna try using magnets to mounting n removing. I'll post here when I finally get to mounting mine.
Interesting. I was leaning towards some magnets as well. I will definitely be interested in what you come up with. I am heading to the hobby shop tomorrow to pick up some magnets, various rails, and anything else that I think I can use. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

How did the magnet idea work out for you?
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote

TF2 RC4WD Topper Mounting Ideas - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd tf2 topper question lawndog RC4WD Trail Finder 2 2 03-19-2016 09:15 PM