Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Bigfoot 6 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Bigfoot 6 build

Yeah that was me. I was hoping someone had a pair handy. Well I am actually buying two Jconcepts bodies and cutting one and cutting a section out of another and extending it that way. Using Bondo bumper repair to fill in the gaps as it is flexible. Going to have to paint on the outside of this one.

Got the new axles installed. Now to figure out how I am going to mount the 8 shocks on each axle.

Ok, so I am not really digging the TF2 frame rails. I am going to go even more scale correct and try to make some straight frame rails for this beast like the original Bigfoot trucks.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-25-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Bigfoot 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bigfoot 6 build

heck yeah just go get some square bar stock and cut it length-wise!

man this just keeps getting better and better!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #23

That's bad ass. Nice work on the U bolts!

Which axles are those?

The Tamiya High Lift series has a straight frame chassis. But you are handy and I'm sure you can use C-channel stock.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Default Bigfoot 6 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's bad ass. Nice work on the U bolts!

Which axles are those?

The Tamiya High Lift series has a straight frame chassis. But you are handy and I'm sure you can use C-channel stock.

Those are the Blackwell axles. I am actually going to use 6061 Aluminum bar 1/4 x 3/8 and going to use the existing frame rail to use as a template to drill the holes and machine the inserts.

Well I managed to find a good side pic of Bigfoot 4 from the late 80's. It seems like the body lines up very well, but the bed is about an inch short as shown in the picture. I am just going to buy another body, cut a section out, and add it to the other body I have to lengthen the bed. The wheel base is actually on point (after doing some conversion math), so that rests my concerns about if the chassis was too long. After doing the math, I did find out that the hood/fenders are a little short on the lexan body than the actual truck, but I am just going to have to deal with it as it would be extremely hard to extend that part of the body. Wouldn't really be worth it for a quarter of an inch.

Welp, getting the 3D printed stuff out of the way. Still need to figure out an interior, roll cage, the rest of the cab structure, door handles and upper intake with blower. Still waiting on the frame rails to get here as well as the shocks. \

While I am waiting for parts, I decided to make some AR logos for the valve covers. The original Bigfoot trucks had aluminum heads made by AR incorporated (Alan Root), so I tried to look up the logo, but could not find it. I had to re-create it in photoshop from a picture I found of the heads online. Just a quick mock-up. I have also decided to not use the "wrapped" exhaust headers. I know they add extra detail, but Bigfoot never implemented them, so I will be getting rid of them.

I know I am using a Chevy block, but I am going to use Ford heads, exhaust headers, etc, to make it as close as possible.

I am getting some custom parts made and 3D printed including the heads, exhaust headers, raised intake, roots blower, etc.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-25-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Nice ride i love the original bigfoot i need to get some of them carburetors

Last edited by teamreedracing; 11-24-2017 at 07:41 PM.
teamreedracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamreedracing View Post
Nice ride i love the original bigfoot i need to get some of them carburetors

If you want the Predator carbs, there are some free 3D print files out there, but the best ones are from Jconcepts on Shapeways.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

The metal bars that I am going to use to make the new frame rails came today. Already cut to the size, I just have to cut for length and drill holes, etc.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Well I decided to make my own frame rails as the other ones are not think enough. Some of the 3D printed parts came in. Going to try and finish the custom frame this week. Will also have to make custom engine mounts as well.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Still waiting on the 3D printed engine parts, but starting to make the frame. Drilled for the suspension, but wont know where to drill for the engine until I get it together. Using JB weld on the ends to hold it until I drill and tap the screw holes.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Here is a sneak peek of what is to come with the engine. Custom 3D printed pieces just for this project. Using a mix, but mainly used Molotow chrome, but bead blasted the raw print and primed it to smoothen it out. Sanding just seemed pointless. I am actually building a Boss 460 while I am doing this, so it is kind of funny when I try to talk details so the 3D printer!

Old 12-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #31

That's pretty!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Here is a quick basic mock up of the engine. A lot more work and detail to add. Working on the chassis again tomorrow. For those that do not know, an electric engine fits inside the block and the transmission does work.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Awesome build! Love the engine detail
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:53 AM   #34
Sinking with the ship

Wow never considered bead blasting the 3d printed parts to smooth them, they definitely look like they came out really smooth.

Keep up the good work man

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Wow never considered bead blasting the 3d printed parts to smooth them, they definitely look like they came out really smooth.

Keep up the good work man

-Mike
Yeah, I turned down the pressure thinking it would beat it up, but I had to turn the pressure all the way up and still took a minute to help smooth. That was some tough plastic.

Working on the valve covers to mimic the original style they used. Trying to find the best way to get it right. Still need to make/install the water pump, crank pulley/balancer, distributor, and spark plug wires, etc. Will also weather some parts to look rusted/worn.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Well here is a mockup real quick. Still need to make the custom suspension links and engine mounts. Hand routed the frame for the transmission mounts, that was fun (not really). After that I am going to try and make some brackets for the servos for steering. Anyone know of a good interior I could use?

Last edited by Bigfoot 4; 12-21-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #37
DVS
Pebble Pounder

Any up dates ?
DVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #38

So, so awesome!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Any up dates ?
Sorry, have been dealing with the holidays and I am trying to get over being sick. Hoping to be working back at it next week.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Here is a minor update. Managed to get the transfer case painted and installed and finished routing out the frame for the transmission mount, also have the braces test fitted for the axles. Next are the new suspension mounts.

Bigfoot 6 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bigfoot RoadKing Mega/Monster Trucks 17 02-09-2018 02:49 PM
CPE barbarian build Supercab Bigfoot Zac_F71 Non Crawler RC's 17 08-01-2015 03:27 PM
Please help Bigfoot! jason Chit Chat 19 04-23-2005 02:12 PM