Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: R3 2 Speed Into Gelande Chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default R3 2 Speed Into Gelande Chassis?

So I purchased an R3 2 speed trans for my Gelande 2. The quality looks amazing (I mean, it's RC4wd, right?). It looks as if this could be basically a direct bolt in with 1 simple bracket and a shorter trans to transfercase shaft. Why does nobody make these parts? (RC4WD? Why not?). With all of the parts available to us to do so much, this seams like a huge oversight. I bolted on the passenger side bracket from the 1 speed, and the left/right and up/down alignment for the driveshaft is perfect, but it needs a shorter drivers side bracket as the mounting flange on the 2 speed sticks out a little more. I will make the parts I need as required, but it would be great to have production quality parts available. Has anyone else here done this?
Attached Images

NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: R3 2 Speed Into Gelande Chassis?

Surprisingly little info out there on this! I had to get the ball rolling... I stuck with the stock R3 single speed passenger side mount, and cut a piece of the center section out of the drivers side mount to shorten it. My TIG welder is in Seattle 40 miles away so I had to just bolt it back together with a little plate for now. I 3D printed a servo mount for a 9G mini servo, and used some spacers to bolt it as needed on the bottom of the battery tray. I used an airplane servo saver method with 2 springs to keep the servo from binding while the 2 speed cogs line up. Everything seems to work well so far. Only thing I am missing is the connector shaft between the trans and transfercase. I almost wouldn't be surprised if the TF2 2 speed shaft would be a bolt in... Almost there...
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks like I am the only one here interested in doing this conversion! Lol! Either way, I got it done today and it all works great! Spent time on the lathe and made a new shorter connector shaft for the transmission to transfer case. The only slight issue is that when the front left suspension is compressed, the front driveline barely rubs the transmission at about mid-shaft. Does not seem to affect anything really, and I could probably grind slightly on the R3 2 Speed to make clearance, but I would rather not. Overall, very happy!
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2017, 01:16 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I had the same issue with my 2speed as well, i just moved the trans up one bolt and it fixed the trans to tc drive shaft issue.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
I had the same issue with my 2speed as well, i just moved the trans up one bolt and it fixed the trans to tc drive shaft issue.
Pics? I assume you mean you just moved the whole trans forward? I want to leave some room between the motor and grill on mine for a high wattage light bar I am building. I want the truck to look scale, but want lights when I need them!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I was wondering when someone was going to try this...nice work!!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
Pics? I assume you mean you just moved the whole trans forward? I want to leave some room between the motor and grill on mine for a high wattage light bar I am building. I want the truck to look scale, but want lights when I need them!
Here is my Build Thread... I will post some pics this week showing the trans mount.

Project: "Dusty" (RC4WD D90 Gelande 2)
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Looks like I am the only one here interested in doing this conversion! Lol! Either way, I got it done today and it all works great! Spent time on the lathe and made a new shorter connector shaft for the transmission to transfer case. The only slight issue is that when the front left suspension is compressed, the front driveline barely rubs the transmission at about mid-shaft. Does not seem to affect anything really, and I could probably grind slightly on the R3 2 Speed to make clearance, but I would rather not. Overall, very happy!

my project gelande d90 r3 2 speed
CEBEPOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #9
AYA

Quote:
Before I had tried R3 2-speed on G2 Cruiser:
AYA's RC4WD Gelande II Cruiser

Concern point was Shift servo hits Navi seat...
AYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Would doing this give more clearance between the driveshaft and transmission?

Asking cuz I thought my Gelande 2 JK build was a dead end (it’s too “low” so drive shaft hits the stock R3 single speed).

My friend mentioned maybe I could try to fit the 2 speed on but I didn’t ask why thinking it would be more of a headache than worth... but looks pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VR6 BeelzeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:26 AM   #11
SSD
RCC Addict

No it gives less clearance between the driveshaft and the transmission. That's why when I desiged the G2 chassis I used the single speed transmission.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
No it gives less clearance between the driveshaft and the transmission. That's why when I desiged the G2 chassis I used the single speed transmission.

Damn... well coming straight from the designer pretty much answers my question!

Old 02-27-2020, 08:13 AM   #13
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6 BeelzeDub View Post
Damn... well coming straight from the designer pretty much answers my question!

You can actually see the issue in the images above. When the suspension is compressed the driveshaft will touch.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I see that it hits rear of the 2speed, which gave me some hope as my issue is with the axle side hitting the single speed...

I’m assuming it’s the ride height I’m trying to pull off?

Old 02-28-2020, 10:57 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

VR6BeelzeDub, how much shock up travel is left in that last picture? Assuming that is straight down compression or flex to one side? Got a side view pic of the compression?

A pair of Incision SCX10 driveshafts are nice and skinny and way more scale looking steel, looks like it might be just the extra clearance you need.

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/inc...10-2-rtr-scx10
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #16
SSD
RCC Addict

Will be fine with SSD driveshafts: Scale Steel Driveshaft for Axial SCX10 / RR10
Old 02-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Default R3 2 Speed Into Gelande Chassis?

That pic is showing even L&R at almost full compression (limited by contact).

I have some room left over the tcase and tranny. Maybe a high clearance mount with the either of the driveshafts you guys mentioned might actually work... assuming the high clearance mount raises the tcase?

[edit - raising the tcase AND trans... ]

Last edited by VR6 BeelzeDub; 02-28-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:11 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for clarification. I’ve got the BowHouse nylon 3d printed high clearance skidplate on mine and it raised the transfer case only due to it clocks it little bit higher. I’m running Rc4wd single speed tranny with the stock tcase, but I’ve got their OD tcase waiting to go in. You need to raise the tranny little bit too, fab or by some mounts.

Driveshafts might be just enough without lifting the driveline though. I can measure shaft OD for you on the Incisions... 0.343” od female half, 0.165” male half, 0.490” at the u-joints. They’re very nice fit and finish, just have to check your extended and compressed shaft lengths.

Last edited by Natedog; 02-28-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:05 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Natedog - thanks for the measurements!

I moved the plastic coupler off the end and found that my current driveshaft hits the housing where it bolts together. The Vanquish u-joint is about the thickness of my stock shaft straight through, but it only contacts when both wheels are compressed...

I’m thinking that the u-joint on the vanquish will hit the front of the transmission though (using the male end up front) it’s hard to tell though.

The SSDs look pretty beefy at the joint and I think it will def contact the front of the transmission.

[edit] sorry folks! I should probably move this over to my “build” thread?

http://http://www.rccrawler.com/foru...spiration.html

Last edited by VR6 BeelzeDub; 03-02-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Sometimes you just gotta buy some parts and try it, been there, done that. Also replace that one cap-head tranny screw with a buttonhead will help a tiny bit too.

R3 2 Speed Into Gelande Chassis? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelande and 2 speed? blooton 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 01-24-2019 05:41 AM
Divorced Gearbox and Gelande Single Speed brazwewn Axial SCX10 II 4 09-16-2016 07:39 PM
TF2 2 speed in a Gelande II? minicooperzoom General Crawlers 1 09-23-2014 02:02 PM
Gelande Chassis Issue bryco13 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 10-10-2013 09:51 AM