Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Just a TF2 Hilux Flatbed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Just a TF2 Hilux Flatbed

New year, and a new project. Since winning an RC4WD Bivouac Trailer on Instagram a few weeks ago I thought it was only fair that I did an RC4WD build. So, I purchased a TF2 kit from Martin @RCBitz and a few other bits and pieces and here we are, my first leaf sprung truck, ever!

Now, since I already have a linked and bobbed Hilux on a GCM Skeleton chassis (which I love), I thought i'd do a leaf sprung flatbed Hilux this time.

This first post contains a fair few photos because my laptop packed up just before Christmas, and the photos have been backing up until I could get a new one to start this build thread. I've already posted up some of these pics on my Instagram page (@toyolien) so apologies if you've already seen them.

GCM scale transmission. I love GCM products, and with the added benefit of overdriving the front, I opted for this.

I'm hoping to “shoe horn” this beast in too.

Upgraded the axles to come cast Yota 2's with some CVD's.

Beginnings of the chassis build.

Swapped out the GCM motor mount for the RC4WD one, so that the GCM transmission bolts straight in. (Yes I know the outputs are on the wrong side. It was originally destined for my SCX10ii Jeep build that's now on hold.)

BowhouseRC leaf shackle mounts, to get rid of the 'lock down'.

Fabbed up a mount for the other end of the transmission.

RC4WD Old Man Emu shocks, that i've 'borrowed' off another truck for now.

Also added some Gelande 2 hoops.

And lastly for now, sculpted out a DinkyRC Skid to fit the GCM transmission, until someone brings out a better option.

Thanks for looking, and more coming soon.
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #2

Default Re: Just a TF2 Hilux Flatbed

Awesome start to a build!

Does no company offer a rear mount for the GCM transmission?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Thanks. The RC4WD V8 mount fits directly, but it comes with a load of stuff i didn't need, so i just made my own
Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
Thanks. The RC4WD V8 mount fits directly, but it comes with a load of stuff i didn't need, so i just made my own
Yours is very cool. I love the way it looks. I was just curious.

I just looked up that GCM trans. The price did this to me =>
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

GCM now offers the mount. They gave me two of the. They work great. I just modified the trans brace.
I sent them an email and they hooked me. So just talk to them and they will work with you. Very nice people and very nice products. I run the Trans/T-case combo in my Marlin and I love having the 11% overdrive up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RattleKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
New year, and a new project. Since winning an RC4WD Bivouac Trailer on Instagram a few weeks ago I thought it was only fair that I did an RC4WD build. So, I purchased a TF2 kit from Martin @RCBitz and a few other bits and pieces and here we are, my first leaf sprung truck, ever!

Now, since I already have a linked and bobbed Hilux on a GCM Skeleton chassis (which I love), I thought i'd do a leaf sprung flatbed Hilux this time.

This first post contains a fair few photos because my laptop packed up just before Christmas, and the photos have been backing up until I could get a new one to start this build thread. I've already posted up some of these pics on my Instagram page (@toyolien) so apologies if you've already seen them.

GCM scale transmission. I love GCM products, and with the added benefit of overdriving the front, I opted for this.

I'm hoping to “shoe horn” this beast in too.

Upgraded the axles to come cast Yota 2's with some CVD's.

Beginnings of the chassis build.

Swapped out the GCM motor mount for the RC4WD one, so that the GCM transmission bolts straight in. (Yes I know the outputs are on the wrong side. It was originally destined for my SCX10ii Jeep build that's now on hold.)

BowhouseRC leaf shackle mounts, to get rid of the 'lock down'.

Fabbed up a mount for the other end of the transmission.

RC4WD Old Man Emu shocks, that i've 'borrowed' off another truck for now.

Also added some Gelande 2 hoops.

And lastly for now, sculpted out a DinkyRC Skid to fit the GCM transmission, until someone brings out a better option.

Thanks for looking, and more coming soon.

Very cool on the trans rear mount! Keep up the good work im stoked to see the progress!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:54 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive pd
Very cool on the trans rear mount! Keep up the good work im stoked to see the progress!
Thanks. More coming soon.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Small update. I've been waiting for some tires to arrive. I wanted to get the wheels fitted before I start bending the tube for the rear flatbed. So, until they are here, i've not done much more. I have, however, been working on a 90 body for my Dad's Gelande 2 he's building (see below).

So, I decided to be brave and chop up the bed of the Hilux. The 2 tabs where the bed bolts to the cab were the perfect pieces for filling in the gap on the back of the cab. So, off they came.

I fixed them in place, and clamped the sides together before adding some splashes of MEK.

And, here's how it looks after the first filling and sanding.

Also, started the bend up the roll bar, but I won't do anymore until the tires arrive.

And lastly, here's the D90 body. My dad wanted it converting to a flat back truck cab, so here's the progress so far. I just need to put the bench seats and base in the back and it'll be done.

More to come once my tires arrive!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Body work is not really my thing, but I thought I'd better have a go at filling in the 2 bolts holes in the cab that the rear bed attaches to. So, I decided to use a few pieces of rc4wd plastic and a steel punch to punch a few circles out. I MEK'd these into place and set about sanding and filing. I'm not too happy with the results, but I think I'll get away with it once it's painted. We'll see though...

Next up was to start the rear flatbed. I have been thinking about how I wanted it to look for a few weeks now, and although I have an idea in my mind, it may deviate as I progress. I started by fixing the rear hoop mount to the chassis.

All my previous metal work I've done as I went along. But, this time, I thought I would be a little more prepared and actually draw out the shape I wanted first. This made making the bends in the correct place much, much easier. I used a washer the same size as the bearing to mark out exactly where I needed to line up the bends on my bender, and it worked out great.

The next part was the rear part of the bed. This involved plenty of head scratching as the bends and notches were kind of compounded.

This is where I'm up to with it now. The main part is done. I now need to add the rear mounts, and then the detailed tube work etc... Apologies for so many pics. I do seem to get carried away with the camera.

Last edited by neilus; 03-20-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I made a little bit more progress on the flatbed this evening. It's now at a stage where I'm beginning to see how it will actually look. I'm pretty pleased. I still need to add the mounts for the bed floor/base, and maybe some sort of bumper to house the rear lights, but that may be a separate piece that fixes to the chassis rather than the flatbed.

I'm undecided whether to add 2 stays/supports from the top corners of the roll bar to the top of the bed sides. I may have a look at that next week. I need to address my garage/wife time balance for the next few days...

Also, I am completely undecided on a colour for the body. Any thoughts?

Anyway, here's a few more pics of where I am up to now.

Thanks for looking.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Nice job sir.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

X2 the truck and toob looks great!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Looking great mate!
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Nice job sir.
Thanks very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive pd View Post
X2 the truck and toob looks great!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Looking great mate!

Thank you.

Only a small update for this evening. I've been spending most of my available spare time working on my Dad's D90, which is almost now ready for paint so i'm hoping to spend some more evenings on the TF2.

I started work on the flatbed part of the rear cage. I wasn't really sure what look I wanted, so I just decided to start with a flat sheet and go from there. I'm quite pleased with the look so far.

I can't decide how to mount the spare wheel. Do I go for flat, or raised. Any thoughts?

That's all for now. Hopefully next up will be the battery mount, fit the electrics and make a start on the front bumper and sliders.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Following this on IG as well. Super clean work!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Following this on IG as well. Super clean work!
Thanks very much. Your TF2 Flatbed is one of my favorites, and I will admit to stealing a couple of ideas from it
Old 03-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Outstanding work! WOW
iFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFrog View Post
Outstanding work! WOW
Thank you very much

After an evening yesterday spent just looking at ways of mounting the battery and not getting anything done, I spent this evening actually making something. And I'm relieved to say the battery mount is done. The reason I spend so long on it was because I didn't want to just put it in a box on the flatbed when there so much empty space under the flatbed. So, I decided to cut a hole in the styrene to allow the battery to rest on the chassis rails. Then make a tool box to hide the top of the battery. And here it is.

Next I'll be working on the front bumper. I'm not a fan of how far it has to stick out to fit a winch, so I may see if I can recess the winch into the grille a little, or I may resort to a hidden servo winch. We'll see...
Old 04-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Awesome work. Rig is looking on point. Thanks for sharing.
THUG LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUG LIFE View Post
Awesome work. Rig is looking on point. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for taking a look

Made a start on the interior. Now, working with styrene is not my strong point, so although in my head I have a nicely designed curvy interior, in reality I'm going to have to resort to straight lines and square edges, but hopefully it'll turn out reasonable.
So, here's where I'm at.

Beginnings of the fire wall and centre console.

And, I've made the centre console a little wider than I intended because I realised that I could squeeze the ESC in there.

More coming soon...

Just a TF2 Hilux Flatbed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TF2 Flatbed? stobert2012 Newbie General 5 09-29-2016 04:38 PM
TF2 Flatbed Postclanker RC4WD Trail Finder 2 308 02-18-2015 10:14 PM
Ejohnson's Flatbed TF2 ejohnson RC4WD Trail Finder 2 9 02-12-2015 05:17 AM