RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/)
-   -   2 Speed Replacement for TF2's (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/600080-2-speed-replacement-tf2s.html)

Lumpmister 06-30-2018 02:47 PM

2 Speed Replacement for TF2's

Hey All,

Happy Saturday! Hope everyone gets to enjoy their Tiny Trucks

I currently have two TF2's (one is on the way :mrgreen:). I am a big fan of the trucks, just not the two speed. It adds more complexity, and it is a feature that I never use as I only crawl.

Is the best alternative the R3 Single Speed from RC4WD? Or is there a better choice?

Thanks "thumbsup"

Natedog 07-01-2018 11:56 AM

Re: 2 Speed Replacement for TF2's

Yes I’d go with R3, it’s a compact good design with all metal construction! Check the shimming as mine was too tight from RC4WD. :)

bent_hinge_pin 07-02-2018 05:05 AM

The r3 seems to be bomb proof. I like the r4 cuz it looks like a real trans dont know bout its durability thohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5d28329754.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Lumpmister 07-03-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5847192)
Yes I’d go with R3, it’s a compact good design with all metal construction! Check the shimming as mine was too tight from RC4WD. :)

Thanks! How does one go about checking the shimming on one of these?

Natedog 07-03-2018 01:24 PM

You're welcome! Grab the input and output shafts and try to shake/pull them in and out of the case. There should be the tiniest slight tick of in/out play. For the middle shaft that doesn't protrude from the case, pull the other shafts out or ensure that they are not too tightly shimmed as mine was and then attempt to press the case halves together with the shaft and bearings installed, both case halves should fully seat toghter without a gap in between. This is a little more difficult to feel, but you'll get it, post up and we'll help! Mine required removing both factory steel 0.008" thick shims and installed one 0.003" steel shim only on input shaft. :)

Lumpmister 07-05-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin (Post 5847378)
The r3 seems to be bomb proof. I like the r4 cuz it looks like a real trans dont know bout its durability tho

Can you run the R4 without the Scale Motor kit? I can't seem to find anyone using it without that. I love the scale motor and would someday love to run it, just not in the budget yet.

new2rocks 07-17-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumpmister (Post 5848612)
Can you run the R4 without the Scale Motor kit? I can't seem to find anyone using it without that. I love the scale motor and would someday love to run it, just not in the budget yet.

You don't need to run the whole scale motor kit to run the R4. You just need the tranny and the mounts (which are sold separately) and you can skip the motor itself.

Another great alternative is the new GCM Scale Trans Conversion kit for the TF2:
GCM Webstore Canada International - TF2 and Gelande2

It uses the GCM LRT2 tranny and t-case. Same overall gear reduction as the R4 / Hammer combo, but the t-case includes an overdriven front output for improved steering and climbing.

Both R4 and LRT2 are very durable, and so are both flavors of the R3 (single-speed and 2-speed). So durability shouldn't be a deciding factor. Hope that helps! "thumbsup"

Shinchu 07-17-2018 08:40 AM

GCM killin the game AGAIN!!!

question: could one use the GCM kit or even the RC4WD kit and slip a 3D printed 22R scale engine over the motor? i don't know if i have seen that done?

new2rocks 07-17-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinchu (Post 5851905)
GCM killin the game AGAIN!!!

question: could one use the GCM kit or even the RC4WD kit and slip a 3D printed 22R scale engine over the motor? i don't know if i have seen that done?

It gets done all the time. I did it with GCM’S TDi on my D110 CMAX, and we’ll be doing it with GCM’s 22R on Scrunch’s TF2 truggy. There are also other motor options (Exclusive RC, etc). The biggest thing is that most of them were originally designed for brushed motors and require a bit of modification for brushless like I did on my D110, but that’s easy enough to do.

Shinchu 07-17-2018 10:48 AM

thanks for answering. i have plans for a scale 22RE powered... something ;) eventually...

Natedog 07-17-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2rocks (Post 5851894)
Another great alternative is the new GCM Scale Trans Conversion kit for the TF2:
GCM Webstore Canada International - TF2 and Gelande2

It uses the GCM LRT2 tranny and t-case. Same overall gear reduction as the R4 / Hammer combo, but the t-case includes an overdriven front output for improved steering and climbing.

That's hot and overdrive for the front axle, woot! 8)"thumbsup"