Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Tralfaz'z RC4WD Gelande II FJ40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tralfaz'z RC4WD Gelande II FJ40

i would use 3 lugs on the spare in a triangle pattern. 12 and 6 would still wobble left-right.

interior looks incredible! would love to see how the seats wear in with that multi-layered brown.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. I have ordered some new shocks, based entirely on looks of course. I got the RC4WD Old Man Emu 80mm shocks with boots. I know nothing about these yet, but I'll be glad to hear any suggestions anyone has.

This build has really been fun. I absolutely love my SCX10 II's, but it's really cool to try something as different as this thing. I appreciate all of the encouragement and constructive criticism is always welcome.
Tralfaz Blecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:26 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
i would use 3 lugs on the spare in a triangle pattern. 12 and 6 would still wobble left-right.

interior looks incredible! would love to see how the seats wear in with that multi-layered brown.
Not a bad idea. Thanks for the kind words and I hope the seats turn out good. If they don't, it was a big ole can of walnut spraypaint.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Got me a driver for the FJ. He's making a kind of goofy face, but he's dressed like what i'd imagine for this truck.

Oh, and he's Clark W. Griswold. He comes with a pretty nice chainsaw.

Also a Marty Moose tiny eggnog glass.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz Blecht View Post
Got me a driver for the FJ. He's making a kind of goofy face, but he's dressed like what i'd imagine for this truck.

Oh, and he's Clark W. Griswold. He comes with a pretty nice chainsaw.

Also a Marty Moose tiny eggnog glass.
Where in the world did you find this?? Those movies were out 30 years ago!
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
Where in the world did you find this?? Those movies were out 30 years ago!
Amazon. I don't think the action figures are that old, there is just the nostalgia market. My close second was a Dick Grayson (Robin's alter ego from the old Batman TV show) figure.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I got the RC4WD Old Man Emu shocks with boots installed. I used no oil and I removed the internal spring so they are pretty much for looks. That set-up did free up the leaf springs a lot. The suspension is still stiff compared to my other rigs, but it's a lot better than it was.

Here is Clark sitting in the driver seat. He looks about the right size. I also got my seats weathered and installed. They're not exactly what I had in mind but it's close enough to the look I wanted.

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 08-06-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

I haven't worked on the FJ40 much lately. Life occurs and last week my RC energy was spent on a 5 hour run with my newer stock Honcho. Anyways, I got the FJ wired and functional, winch included. So far it's just a zip-tied bird's nest of wires but that was just to get it all working.

It goes. I drove it around the driveway. I need longer motor leads and the light kit still. It will all be tidy when it's done.

I don't know that I'd really use it much, but the winch is pretty neat for now.

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 08-19-2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: wordy fixin
Old 05-05-2019, 05:27 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

It's been about 9 months since I last updated this thread, and about the same amount of time since I did any real work on this truck. Life happens, but mostly other RC projects. I've built/rebuilt a crawler or two and then got obsessed with a pair of Slash 4x4s.

Finally, it's essentially done. There are still a few odds and ends to tack on such as the spare tire holder, snorkel, and plates but all of the kit parts are installed and she is ready for a first run.

I also have a full light kit but I've got to figure out how best to power it. Do I need a BEC? I have a BEC for the winch, do I need another for the lights? Yeah, this is also the first rig I've built where the winch is actually wired up and functional as opposed to just being bumper bling.

I'm also kind of scared of this thing. I'm used to bulletproof crawlers and Lexan bodies that can tumble down the mountain and keep on trucking. Shelf queen she will not be I tell you... I'll will put a little effort into preserving her though.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Getting down to the last details. I had hoped the interior details would be more noticeable, but once it's all assembled in the truck you can't really see too much. Oh well.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I'll admit it. It's terrifying. I just played around in the yard with is a bit. Good thing is that there is a lot of terrain at Stone Mountain we don't really go to a lot for crawling. I will be great for this truck. Plus, it's pretty and it will be a great spot for pics. I'll learn to love this for what it is. It is really different though.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Plates look Great Grabbing your picture for use
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #33

I love it!! I think it turned out perfect!! Don't be afraid of a little abuse. My TF2 Mojave has taken a couple of small tumbles and survived just fine.
mthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:54 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
I love it!! I think it turned out perfect!! Don't be afraid of a little abuse. My TF2 Mojave has taken a couple of small tumbles and survived just fine.
Thank you. I've run it quite a lot lately. It's taken a tumble or two. I'm mostly worried about the mirrors when I roll it. It is a different beast. I've been liking it though. I wouldn't want it for my only rig, but since I have more bash-able trucks I enjoy this one as it is and the challenges that come with it.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:59 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
Plates look Great Grabbing your picture for use
Any time. All of my rigs have your plates. You do awesome work. Thank you.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz Blecht View Post
Thank you. I've run it quite a lot lately. It's taken a tumble or two. I'm mostly worried about the mirrors when I roll it. It is a different beast. I've been liking it though. I wouldn't want it for my only rig, but since I have more bash-able trucks I enjoy this one as it is and the challenges that come with it.
Agreed and that's how I enjoy my TF2, driving more scale and careful, but not afraid to get some scratches.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tralfaz'z RC4WD Gelande II FJ40 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PFB's Gelande FJ40 pigeonfarmboy 1.9 Scale Rigs 32 05-29-2018 12:03 PM
My Gelande 2 Land Cruiser FJ40 58_Willys 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 03-17-2017 06:16 PM
Custom RC4WD Gelande FJ40 Land Cruiser Alpha Male 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 02-12-2016 02:07 PM
OHO's RC4WD Gelande II Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Oh How Original 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 09-03-2015 10:28 AM
RC4WD Gelande II "Ultimate FJ40" Build 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 29 08-03-2015 09:44 AM