Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Trans cuppler problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Trans cuppler problems

Lately one of my problems that's staying consistent and driving me nuts is the trans cuppler to the transfer case set screw keeps backing out. I've used blue loctite and different amounts and does not fix the problem. I've thought about trying red loctite and see what happens. Not a big fan of trying red loctite on my truck.

So what has everyone used to prevent this problem or upgrade to something else that fits and works good.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Trans cuppler problems

I use gel nail polish

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
bent_hinge_pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I used rubbing alcohol in a pump spray bottle to degrease internal threads of coupler shaft and external threads of screw pins, wipe dry with clean paper towel, then blue loctite all screws threads, assemble. Tightened mine so that pin is just barely protruding through other side of coupler shaft, don’t tighten completely, this allows rigid shaft a slight amount of misalignment play at both ends and mine have not come loose even on 3s.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I used rubbing alcohol in a pump spray bottle to degrease internal threads of coupler shaft and external threads of screw pins, wipe dry with clean paper towel, then blue loctite all screws threads, assemble. Tightened mine so that pin is just barely protruding through other side of coupler shaft, don’t tighten completely, this allows rigid shaft a slight amount of misalignment play at both ends and mine have not come loose even on 3s.
That is a great idea!!!!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
bent_hinge_pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ok both good ideas. I've been using simple green to clean up the threads, tried brake cleaner. I've been care of not running then set screw to far either. I have a set of punisher shafts that are not rebuildable according rc4wd. I don't wonder since this set of punisher shafts is drilled all they way through. So it allows it then set screw to back out. But I'll try theses recommendations guys, thanks.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I did pretty much what Natedog suggested with the added step of putting a band of marine shrink tubing (the kind with the glue inside) over the setscrews as well.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I did pretty much what Natedog suggested with the added step of putting a band of marine shrink tubing (the kind with the glue inside) over the setscrews as well.
For sure will have to try what natedog said. The last time one as out I ended up using some electrical tape over the set screw to get back to the car.

Trans cuppler problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith trans problems? Tmaxxed Axial Wraith 22 09-22-2013 05:42 PM
CR01 Bronco Trans Problems GrndLvls Brain Tamiya CR-01 22 08-07-2013 08:06 AM
Problems problems problems hope it's worth it in the end TJcreeperJEEP Venom Creeper 9 12-22-2009 04:54 PM
Trans flip motor problems trailreadyklr Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 11 01-07-2009 11:49 AM