Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Class 1 TF2 4 Door Hilux Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

Default Class 1 TF2 4 Door Hilux Build

Should’ve started this build thread a long time ago but here’s the rundown:

Initial Impressions:

Out of the box I was really disappointed, steering was horrible with stock Servo, transfer case skid got caught up on flat ground, bumpers hit and got caught up on anything and everything, stock driveshafts broke on the first run on the rocks. Needless to say all info I read before buying the truck didn’t prepare me for how much work I would have to do to get it to the performance I wanted. Leaf springs weren’t even the issue, everything else was. Truck sat for awhile as I gathered parts.

Stage 1 Upgrades:

- Bowhouse RC High Clearance Skid Plate, Coupling Bracket, Rear Leaf Hangers
- O Ring Mod front leaf springs
- Fast Eddy Sealed Bearing Kit
- Motor Drop, used Traxxas turnbuckle and revolve rod ends from I believe X Maxx to make a shorter steering link from passenger side to Servo
- Switched to Axial Icon Shocks, 50wt oil, no springs
- Gelande II Front Shock Hoops
- Power HD B3 Servo
- CNC Custom Wheels 5 Slot 1.55x1.3” Beadlock Wheels w/ 1.55 Pitbull Rockbeasts
- Axial Wild Boar 2 Driveshafts
- Removed front and rear bumpers
- Flipped Battery/Electronic Tray around
- Black main leaf w/ single long helper all around
- A&M Garage Front Shackle Reversal Kit

My god what a difference the high clearance skid plate made, the truck was actually useable now. I can’t say whether or not the motor drop made a huge difference since I did all the upgrades at once. Watched a couple videos on YouTube, read other people’s posts, and pics on Instagram. Used a dremel, was a slow and painful (hot) process but wasn’t hard mechanically/technically speaking. It performed great on the rocks now, clearance was great, I was able to do almost everything my scx10 build could do besides the extreme vertical climbs. Axial WB2 driveshafts are cheap, rebuildable, strong, and being plastic are easy to cut to the lengths I needed. I did have to take off a smidge of the end of the transfer case output shaft for the set screw holes to line up though.
Extra travel length from longer shocks and shock hoops was nice, not sure how much I actually used as the leaf springs are pretty stiff still. Thought I would get more downtravel but the wasn’t the case, lead springs chose a settling point and pretty much stay there lol. It works though, nice and stiff for side hills and the weight of body.

Stage 2 Upgrades:

- RC4WD CCHand Derlin Comp Bumper w/ Associated body and fender trimming.
- Noodle’s Custom Wheels CNC 1.9 Beadlocks w/ Crawler Innovations Single Stage Closed Cell Foams and stretched 1.55 Pitbull Rockbeasts.
- RC4WD Shims for better pinion angle, removed o rings.

New front bumper looked great and gave good approach angle, delrin very slippery. Noodle’s Custom Wheels (@ncwwheels on instagram) are works of art, also switched to 1.9”s because...

Stage 3 Upgrades (in progress)

- JEC Racing/Beef Tubes Brass AR44 Leaf Spring Mounts
- Axial AR44 Axles
- TBD Class 1 Legal 1.9 4.19 tires (most likely RC4WD Wrangler MTR Tires) w/ Crawler Innovation Dual Stage Foams Comp Cut Inner, Soft Outer Front, medium Outer Back
- Pimpin Crawler Bobbed Bed 4 Door Hilux Body

Bed kept getting hung up so after seeing all the great work Pimpin Crawler does, got in contact on Facebook and got a Pimpin body on the way. Also decided to go AR44 axles for steering angle and part options. Samix Brass C Hubs and Knuckles w/ Brake Rotors need to be ordered, and Hot racing overdrive front gears. Also I think it’s time to upgrade the ESC and motor. I have a Hobbywing 1080 ESC on the side and am debating between the Holmes Hobby’s Crawlmaster or Torque master.

Pics to come
220shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Class 1 TF2 4 Door Hilux Build

I take it you have the rtr version? From what I gather in a stock form the tf leaves alot of performance out. But with upgrades and changes it can be much better and given different driving habits. It seems your on a good track for mods. Don't forget thoses pictures.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:18 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220shaun View Post

Pics to come

Pics never came.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Doh! Sure sounds like a great build, love to see some pictures, hopefully it’s already getting crawl time!

Last edited by Natedog; 06-30-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Class 1 TF2 4 Door Hilux Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***rc4wd tf2 v's axial scx10 hilux class 1 shootout*** TAFF1969 Scale Videos! 0 05-17-2016 12:28 AM
4 door Hilux build arctichorse 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 01-11-2014 02:11 PM
Sam's new TF2 build for class 1 southcrawler RC4WD Trail Finder 2 11 01-16-2013 03:32 PM