RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/)
-   -   Trans cuppler problems (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/601566-trans-cuppler-problems.html)

Levi 08-20-2018 08:02 PM

Trans cuppler problems

Lately one of my problems that's staying consistent and driving me nuts is the trans cuppler to the transfer case set screw keeps backing out. I've used blue loctite and different amounts and does not fix the problem. I've thought about trying red loctite and see what happens. Not a big fan of trying red loctite on my truck.

So what has everyone used to prevent this problem or upgrade to something else that fits and works good.

bent_hinge_pin 08-20-2018 08:58 PM

Re: Trans cuppler problems

I use gel nail polish

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Natedog 08-20-2018 09:23 PM

I used rubbing alcohol in a pump spray bottle to degrease internal threads of coupler shaft and external threads of screw pins, wipe dry with clean paper towel, then blue loctite all screws threads, assemble. Tightened mine so that pin is just barely protruding through other side of coupler shaft, don’t tighten completely, this allows rigid shaft a slight amount of misalignment play at both ends and mine have not come loose even on 3s. :)

bent_hinge_pin 08-20-2018 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5862518)
I used rubbing alcohol in a pump spray bottle to degrease internal threads of coupler shaft and external threads of screw pins, wipe dry with clean paper towel, then blue loctite all screws threads, assemble. Tightened mine so that pin is just barely protruding through other side of coupler shaft, don’t tighten completely, this allows rigid shaft a slight amount of misalignment play at both ends and mine have not come loose even on 3s. :)

That is a great idea!!!!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Levi 08-21-2018 12:09 AM

Ok both good ideas. I've been using simple green to clean up the threads, tried brake cleaner. I've been care of not running then set screw to far either. I have a set of punisher shafts that are not rebuildable according rc4wd. I don't wonder since this set of punisher shafts is drilled all they way through. So it allows it then set screw to back out. But I'll try theses recommendations guys, thanks.

svt923 08-22-2018 07:19 AM

I did pretty much what Natedog suggested with the added step of putting a band of marine shrink tubing (the kind with the glue inside) over the setscrews as well.

Levi 08-22-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5862900)
I did pretty much what Natedog suggested with the added step of putting a band of marine shrink tubing (the kind with the glue inside) over the setscrews as well.

For sure will have to try what natedog said. The last time one as out I ended up using some electrical tape over the set screw to get back to the car.