Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Ironhide13's TF2 K5 Blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ironhide13's TF2 K5 Blazer

Let me tell you a story…

So it all began with a simple email last year; a “Coming Soon: A Limited Edition!” announcement to the world, if you will. I knew as soon as I laid eyes on this devil in a blue dress, that one day we would meet. However, the time and money needed to seek out and bring this beauty home was not cooperating with me. So, I busied myself in other work, but never forgetting the stunning raw appeal of love at first sight.

Browsing the online hobby shop pages more recently and planning for my next build, I stumbled across a notice of one online hobby retailer expecting a shipment of this blue devil to arrive in late April of this year. I felt my pulse quicken at the news of its impending return after being away for so long! I called my LHS, and inquired if they may be able to procure one for me. They could, but it would be an even longer wait of at least another month… (*nail biting*)

And then, at the end of that month’s wait, I was told it had been pushed back to the end of June (*ugh*). I tried to wait it out with my LHS, but after seeing it in stock on the manufacturer’s website and talking with the LHS (considering the expected wait time and the limited edition-ness, he suggested I not wait but to go ahead and order it online), I clicked “I want that!” and waited for a man in a white van to deliver it. Finally, my wait was over, as my latest object of desire had arrived and was at home in a big, boxy, box-within-a-box, brown box care package waiting just for me!

However, as the anticipation of its arrival was being washed away by the joy and relief of finally having it in front of me, I knew that it would not remain as it was for long. Even with all its scaly (as in 1:1 life-like, not reptilian) goodness, it was missing a few things, and it was not quite up to my vision for its potential. Plus, I have an innate inability to keep things completely stock.

“Tell us more!”

First up was to apply the top recommended tips and tricks from the faithful group of leaf-sprung tiny truck enthusiasts. Along with a complete tear down for grease, Loctite, and waterproofing, removing the inner shock springs on the rear and out of 1 set on the front, dressing up the shocks up with black boots (kinky), and I’m trying the Chino mod while remixing of the leaf springs were to be done: middle length leaf to top of the stack to improve flex and prevent axle wrap. However, I noticed the front was still bottoming out too soon, like there was almost no vertical travel. So, I decided to take the former rear springs and use them in a pair of the front shocks and leave the other front pair empty. It seems the rear springs were actually shorter than the ones in the front. Maybe the springs in the front were intended for longer shocks? I don’t know… but much better-er now, anyway. Then I installed the Bowhouse RC rear leaf shackle mount and the A&M Garage shackle reverse kit at the front while I was at it.

*Quick, the readers are losing interest! Show a body-on-wheels sneak peek!*

Going from white to black for the removable top (Duplicolor’s CustomWrap Removable Gloss Midnight Black, in case I don’t like it), and it gives a semi-smooth finish, which was the suggested finish for a more scale feature. Also, chrome to gloss black on the mirrors, bumpers, handles, grille and other trim. And, flat black in the center of the grille while we’re at it. I did shave the rub strips off the bumpers, and smoothed the “bolt heads” off as well.

I am taking my time on this re-build, so don't expect updates often... That said, next up will be the interior.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ironhide13's TF2 K5 Blazer

Hell yes. Get those Yota axles swapped out for some K44’s and you’re good to go!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:17 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I too own a tf 2 with the challenged "leaf" i use this term loosely and scale "shock" i use this term loosely as well spring suspension well it used to be leafed i did the rear to front spring swap i did the chino mod. I did the red springs and pack reorientation. After tuning and tuning i came to the realisation that the leafs effectively limit the ride hight. And that the leafs are not springs just over engineered Strange double sided control arms Before i went 3/4 link i cut the rear springs in half to make a quarter elliptical that really made the rear flex https://youtu.be/znXAGxqbfG0 (give that a try by simply un bolting the rear spring mounts at the rear and see how much lift and flex this frees up springs must be in the "shock" ) this worked great but left a lot to be desired in the front. At The. Bottom of the body of the "shocks" is an o ring that provides the damping effect of a shock by binding the shaft I removed this o ring and the "shock" shaft moves freely with out binding. I then remover the springs from within them moved the rear shocks to rhe front and placed 100mm shocks at the rear with 10mm link ends on them to maintain a level ride hight with the 3 and 4 link i hope this sheds some light on the leafs for u.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
bent_hinge_pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Hell yes. Get those Yota axles swapped out for some K44’s and you’re good to go!
Yes, Yota is 4-letter bad word in my house... Haha.

Actually, I've got my eye on Bowhouse RC's newest NC60s with the 14 bolt diff covers. But the difference in gear ratios causes a bit of a pause. I'd have to drop to a lower pinion to make up the difference.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Off to a great start, love the blue body and "on wheels" shot! K44's would be sweet under there, Bowhouse NC60s would be nice too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Shiny, shiny! I've got my K44s through my LHS in hand. I've already shimmed and regreased these beauties, and they're ready to go!

Old 09-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Awesome. They’re such a great axle for these trucks! So glad you went with them!
Old 09-07-2018, 06:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Awesome. They’re such a great axle for these trucks! So glad you went with them!
Me too. A little more budget friendly compared to the Bowhouse NC60s I was considering, plus it keeps the lower gear ratios. I may still try a set of those NC60s one day on another build.

I had wanted a set of either these or the machined version, but they never seemed in stock when I looked for them before. After seeing they were in stock after your latest build, I decided to grab a set while they were in season!

Btw, is there any real advantage to swap out the stock straight cut gears to the helical cut ones? At least before the stock gears wear out/break?
Old 09-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
Me too. A little more budget friendly compared to the Bowhouse NC60s I was considering, plus it keeps the lower gear ratios. I may still try a set of those NC60s one day on another build.

I had wanted a set of either these or the machined version, but they never seemed in stock when I looked for them before. After seeing they were in stock after your latest build, I decided to grab a set while they were in season!

Btw, is there any real advantage to swap out the stock straight cut gears to the helical cut ones? At least before the stock gears wear out/break?

The machined ones are twice the money, plus the front pumpkin is on the drivers side which isn’t GM scale accurate. The cast versions are a win-win. I’ve had both and it was pretty hard to tell the difference between the two in terms of quality.

I don’t run my stuff very hard so I don’t upgrade the gears unless something actually breaks.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well, while waiting on some interior accessories, I decided to check the K44s for ride height and wheelwell clearance.

And then painting and adding some engine accessories. Is it too much I followed the proper distributor timing for '79 350ci?

Old 09-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

This truck looks amazing! Great job so far. Engine looks fantastic too!
Old 09-28-2018, 07:12 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
This truck looks amazing! Great job so far. Engine looks fantastic too!
Coming from one of my heroes of the forum, that means a lot!

I'm roughly basing this around a '79, mostly since it was the only year the engine wasn't orange, just to have something different. I think that's the proper GM Corporate Blue from Duplicolor.

I'm waiting on some U bolts to see if I can slide the front axle back just a hair. Or if anyone has another suggestion...?
Old 09-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #13

Those wheels look great on that truck! Nice work on the motor too.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Those wheels look great on that truck! Nice work on the motor too.
Thank you, you're one of my heroes on here, too! Just need to switch out to the scale hubs for a finishing touch.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
Thank you, you're one of my heroes on here, too! Just need to switch out to the scale hubs for a finishing touch.
Aw, man thank you very much! I really appreciate the kind words, but my builds aren't that special.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:11 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Okay, time for some updates... (Finally!)

So, the interior, sharp-eyed viewers might've noticed the driver and passenger figures, and here's a better look at them:

Why females, you ask? My reply: Why not? The current TV versions of Elektra and Jessica Jones are just badass chicks.

To the details, I made two 3-point harnesses out of one 5-point harness from Yeah Racing. Trimmed a bit of felt for carpet floor mats, and notched the firewall a bit to make room to raise up the dash.

And I used some polystyrene to fill the strange gap behind the seats.

The door panels are from R3 Scale Designz on Shapeways.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:24 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Chassis with engine and engine accessories installed. Plus inner fenders.

And I know the rear shocks were leaned in for performance, but I wanted them to be vertical. Actually, I'd want one leaned forward, and one rearward like a 1:1, but alas...
I compromised by replaced the rear shocks with slightly shorter shocks to appease me. And yes, U-bolts for front and rear. I had to file away a point on the front axle to make room for one U-bolt on the K44s, but it was worth it.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Wow Its Looking So Much Better
Robs07junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs07junk View Post
Wow Its Looking So Much Better
Thanks! I'm just working out the final details of mounting the body using magnets instead of the screws and body clips. After that, my next real challenge will be a custom exhaust setup.
Then the dress up / scale accessories can be added.

Last edited by Ironhide13; 04-03-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:09 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Nice Blazer build!
1tonblazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Ironhide13's TF2 K5 Blazer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Take on a Blazer TF2 Build 2003EDGE RC4WD Trail Finder 2 16 03-01-2017 06:52 PM
Tf2 yoto to blazer William Kline RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 08-28-2016 10:20 PM