RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/)
-   -   Diff resistance (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/602281-diff-resistance.html)

GR8 PMKN 09-16-2018 09:01 AM

Diff resistance

I have a question about differential/axle resistance. I have the Helical gear in my front diff and the standard in the rear. Both are shimmed I think properly although there is more play in the rear. The front I did not have to add any shims where the rear I added some. Right now with the drive shafts NOT connected when I spin the tires by hand the rear is alot more free. The front has more resistance when turning the wheel.

Is this due to the Helical gear, shimming or something else?

Thanks in advance.

bent_hinge_pin 09-16-2018 09:17 AM

Re: Diff resistance

Quote:

Originally Posted by GR8 PMKN (Post 5868996)
I have a question about differential/axle resistance. I have the Helical gear in my front diff and the standard in the rear. Both are shimmed I think properly although there is more play in the rear. The front I did not have to add any shims where the rear I added some. Right now with the drive shafts NOT connected when I spin the tires by hand the rear is alot more free. The front has more resistance when turning the wheel.

Is this due to the Helical gear, shimming or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the helical cut gear was a tight fit and may be causing the binding

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

bent_hinge_pin 09-16-2018 09:18 AM

Try running it and see if it loosens up keep an eye on esc and motor temps if its real tight it will over heat them

GR8 PMKN 09-16-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin (Post 5868999)
Try running it and see if it loosens up keep an eye on esc and motor temps if its real tight it will over heat them

Sounds like a plan. The helical gear was tight on installation. I did habe some heat problems the last run, but accounted that to the 1.9's I put on without changing gear ratio.

Natedog 09-17-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin (Post 5868999)

X2, good quality high pressure grease will help. Helical gears like these tend to have a bit more friction by nature as the gear teeth slide against each other more. Getting mine ready to install so we'll see how tight mine are. "thumbsup"

GR8 PMKN 09-22-2018 03:12 PM

Tore it apart and something isn't true. Either the gear or the housing. I can turn it so far and then it binds, appears to be in the spot on every rotation.

Natedog 09-22-2018 08:46 PM

Shim it so it’s not too tight at tight spot, use good grease and run it. Should seat in ok. :)

GR8 PMKN 09-22-2018 09:03 PM

This is with just the ring gear. The cover and pinion are not attached.

Natedog 10-01-2018 10:00 AM

Make sure both bearings are fully and squarely seated on the ring gear/spool. Pictures?