Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Issue with 90mm shocks on TF2. NO Travel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Issue with 90mm shocks on TF2. NO Travel?

I'm just building up a 2nd TF2 and am again using Gelande front shock hoops and rc4wd 90mm Bilstein shocks. I've noticed that at ride height (also on my current TF2) that the shocks only have about 8mm of compression before they bottom out. Anyone else noticed this? It's the same on my current TF2 although i never noticed it when building that one.

It's almost as if the shock mounts need to be taller...
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Issue with 90mm shocks on TF2. NO Travel?

Have your leaf springs flattened out?

That was my problem when I found my truck had almost no up travel. Rebending the springs so the shackle was just about pointing straight down at ride height made everything work much better.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
I'm just building up a 2nd TF2 and am again using Gelande front shock hoops and rc4wd 90mm Bilstein shocks. I've noticed that at ride height (also on my current TF2) that the shocks only have about 8mm of compression before they bottom out. Anyone else noticed this? It's the same on my current TF2 although i never noticed it when building that one.

I have the same issue , I have a plentyfull amount of drop but, very little compression. I'm guessing the drop is more important, being it doesn't have real passengers . And it's meant for crawling to drop the axle for flex. If you would like talk to me and compare vehicles you can reach me at southeastoktinytrucks@gmail.com

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk
kennypreston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Have your leaf springs flattened out?

That was my problem when I found my truck had almost no up travel. Rebending the springs so the shackle was just about pointing straight down at ride height made everything work much better.
Everything is brand new. Haven't used anything yet.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Slightly different set up from yours, since I have the Blazer RTR with the dual shock setup, but, I felt mine didn't even have 8mm of compression before bottoming out, even with only one set of springs in the shocks. Since I was taking the springs out of the rear shocks, I put them in the front. That was MUCH better. I think they wind up putting the wrong length springs in the shocks every so often.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Neilus, I bought set of 80mm Marlin shocks, Gelande front hoops, then played with 70, 80 and 90mm shocks and both hoops until I got set up how I like it.

Gelande shocks hoops are taller and have two mount hole heights, both higher than TF2 hoops. I settled on 80mm shocks in lower holes of Gelande hoops, gave me the best usable travel and kept ride height low. I’m not running any internal shock springs front or rear, and left leaf springs at stock arch and height. I did have to straighten one front leaf to equalize ride height and flex because my truck was beat to heck in shipping.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Neilus, I bought set of 80mm Marlin shocks, Gelande front hoops, then played with 70, 80 and 90mm shocks and both hoops until I got set up how I like it.

Gelande shocks hoops are taller and have two mount hole heights, both higher than TF2 hoops. I settled on 80mm shocks in lower holes of Gelande hoops, gave me the best usable travel and kept ride height low. I’m not running any internal shock springs front or rear, and left leaf springs at stock arch and height. I did have to straighten one front leaf to equalize ride height and flex because my truck was beat to heck in shipping.
Thanks for that. I had a measure up last night and came to the conclusion that 80mm's in the bottom hole would be the best. So, going to order a pair to try
Old 10-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

These amazon scale shocks have MUCH stiffer springs than the RC4WD ones.

I am running 82MM in both front and back (back rear cross member flipped).

I am at 8.4" high with 100MM tires.

I have 17MM of travel both front and back in this setup. Measured from bottom of perch to bottom of shock tube with micrometer.

I have my front up a litter higher than the bottom hole on the gelander hoops with some amazon shock tab I somehow stuck in there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I see the tilted shock tower. My tab is crooked. Will fix)

Looking forward to seeing your new shock setup.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 10-30-2018 at 11:15 AM.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Everything is brand new. Haven't used anything yet.

That's gorgeous.

I thought the scale transmission needed the V8 motor block thing. What adapter is that to run the can motor off it? I want one of those.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

This is a GCM racing scale transmission. The front mount is from GCM and i made the transfer case mount.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Give the A&M garage skids a shot too. Very nice coverage even with the GCM trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote