Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Mountain Expedition Yota.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Mountain Expedition Yota.

Didn’t wake up today thinking I was going to get a sweet trade on a new TF2. I have owned a few over the years but never fully committed. I think I have come up with a solution to my lack of commitment with the TF2. More on that later....... so the start of this build. What you see is what I got. No lenses, glass etc.

It did have nice steel punisher shafts already installed. Nice bonus.

I took off one of the rims and noticed the thick wheel hexes. I swapped those out for some narrow Axial ones. That combined with my 1.7 steelies and 1.5 Berserkers made for a nice track width change.

Axial hexes and Berserkers on right. Stock 1.5’s and hexes on left.

I plan on pulling the 2 speed trans/ t case and replacing it with the LRT2 that I have hanging on the peg board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: BC’s TF2

Great to see you with another truck in the TF2 game, looking forward to updates and subscribed! I noticed same about the thick stock wheel hexes, flanged wheel nuts barely thread on all the way, loctited mine. The stock hexes are rather heavy which is weight down low and I didnt' have any hexes that fit well without mods, so still got stock on mine. Those Berserkers are awesome tires and perfect size.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

That's great to see you have a tf2 on your table. I want to hear the story with about the commitment issues with this truck.......please. I love my tf2. It's my first build ever and I know the truck inside and out better than my other trucks. I also know that it's not the most easiest truck to drive either.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Great to see you with another truck in the TF2 game, looking forward to updates and subscribed! I noticed same about the thick stock wheel hexes, flanged wheel nuts barely thread on all the way, loctited mine. The stock hexes are rather heavy which is weight down low and I didnt' have any hexes that fit well without mods, so still got stock on mine. Those Berserkers are awesome tires and perfect size.
Not going to lie.... I'm pretty happy to have another TF2.. The 1.7's have the disk brake hubs that RC4WD sales for the 1.5/1.7 wheels.. I have ran a bunch of alien compound tires. I can't wait to run some under the old yota..... Oh... I pulled a tote down last evening and found a brand new red cab and box. Only down side.. PO did a shitty crooked bob but I think he left enough for me to repair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
That's great to see you have a tf2 on your table. I want to hear the story with about the commitment issues with this truck.......please. I love my tf2. It's my first build ever and I know the truck inside and out better than my other trucks. I also know that it's not the most easiest truck to drive either.
Levi, I love scale and really love all the new tiny tire options... The small tire rigs are so much fun to drive and bring a whole new meaning to our awesome hobby... We will talk more about the commitment issues when some parts start to show up... In the mean time if any of my brothers are in need or want of some new yota axles and a 2 speed tranny hit me up... I know a fella.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yes, love trailing and crawling mine, so realistic! Been looking at the RC4WD interior, wish it came in lexan and then I could outside paint it (less weight up high) still searching for a proper driver though.

Oooh, sounds interesting...I'm thinking some VP axles but with leaf springs of course.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default BC’s TF2

Quote:
Yes, love trailing and crawling mine, so realistic! Been looking at the RC4WD interior, wish it came in lexan and then I could outside paint it (less weight up high) still searching for a proper driver though.

Oooh, sounds interesting...I'm thinking some VP axles but with leaf springs of course.

100% leafs are staying. I plan on running a completely different drive train and curries aren’t part of the mix for this particular build.

Did receive some parts but not the most crucial. Currently on hold until JEC makes some new leaf mounts for the SSD diamond AR44’s I will be running.

The bed is the current area of concern while I wait on parts. I can weld up a front bumper now that I have an aluminum front bumper chassis brace.

The above mentioned PO hacked bed.

I am glad that the fella used E900 type flex glue. I think I can clean it up nicely but it could be kinda stubby.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Looking forward to seeing this build. Those are some pricey axles you picked out. Looking forward to seeing how that all plays out. Sounds awesome!

You probably know this, but you can buy the bobbed bed if you dont wish to mess with it. I wish I knew that before I bought a marlin body just to get the short bed. smh.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-4WD-Trai...S!-1:rk:1:pf:0
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

BW.... Thanks for the heads up on that Marlin Bed..... I did not know you could buy it separate! Very possible I might jump on that... Is the new style grill available as well? I think this will be a fun adventure
Old 11-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have a few things to mention. I tore down the frame and gave the bits a good clean. Everything was new but has sit for a while and I like to put new parts on a clean base. I installed the Bowhouse and A&M bits and built the axles. JEC racing leaf mounts are legit and make for a very nice pinion angle combined with SSD Diamond 44’s. Almost forgot to mention. I picked up some super sick 1.9 GCM beadlocks from our for sale section. I cleaned them up. Added some scale hardware and wrapped them in 1.7 MTR’s with CI single cell foams.

Pretty nice tire coverage with the GCM wheels and AR44 axles.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Messed with the factory shocks today. Tire them down and cleaned them. Reassembled with x rings in place of the clear factory o rings

I’m able to get a decent amount of travel from current shock location. The shocks bottom right before the leafs go negative and this will do. The leafs will last longer as well.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I was unable to get good rear travel mocking up shocks similarly, good job! What length rear shocks, 70mm, is that the spring shackles mount trick? Got a close up picture of rear mounting? Did you weigh stock axles vs the SSD setup you’re using? Sliders look simple, effective and weight down low.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was unable to get good rear travel mocking up shocks similarly, good job! What length rear shocks, 70mm, is that the spring shackles mount trick? Got a close up picture of rear mounting? Did you weigh stock axles vs the SSD setup you’re using? Sliders look simple, effective and weight down low.

Nate.... I just used some stuff I had on hand. I tried a few options and came up with this for a baseline. I did use the factory shocks. The front I will most likely make a permanent shock mount but the CBE key did give a nice location. In the rear I used some new GCM CMax tiny shock mounts. I went off the furthest hole where the frame starts to drop. I ended up angling the mount and drilling a hole on both sides. The position allows the 70mm shocks a fair amount of travel. In fact I plan on leaving the rear as is.

The suspension feels very plush and the front will come down nicely with the weight of the upcoming randomness. Nate the rear SSD diamond weighs slightly more than the Yota axles and the front SSD is significantly heavier with the brass Knuckles.... Should make for nice leaf spring movement.....

Last edited by Bananaclip; 11-26-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Looking good. Love the trans conversion. Makes me want to change mine out too. It's on my list and probably about the only thing left on my tf2 I want to change. The Goodyear tires look good. Have you used thosed Goodyear tires before?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Looking good. Love the trans conversion. Makes me want to change mine out too. It's on my list and probably about the only thing left on my tf2 I want to change. The Goodyear tires look good. Have you used thosed Goodyear tires before?

Levi I appreciate your thoughts and yes I have ran them several times. I can only offer feedback on the 1.7. That’s what is shown on GCM beadlocks. They work very well in my area West Virginia.

I just made a front crossmember to correct the natural pull of the front spring hangers and to give a grill mount point!

Old 12-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Very nice setup!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive pd View Post
Very nice setup!

Thank you kind sir.

Back on the little Toyota. The front crossmember/core support looked good but needed something. So off it came and I present V2

Looks much better IMO and I flipped the top plate to face out. Now the grill rest perfectly level on the core support.

I started on the front bumper

More to do.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #17

Looking really good! I love the way the front turned out with the fenders cut to match the grill. That will be what I do with mine to match my 1:1.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1BAw383ehs3EjDXW7
80Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Yota View Post
Looking really good! I love the way the front turned out with the fenders cut to match the grill. That will be what I do with mine to match my 1:1.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1BAw383ehs3EjDXW7

Thank you sir! I did add more to the front bumper and plan on adding a few drop gussets below the lowest hoop and possibly a 2 bend hoop?

Body width protection...

Tie things in.

More..

So I need to do a few more things to the front bumper and rear bumper is next.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Looking good brother, I think you're going to add a couple little ramp like tubes from down at front frame rail area to the front hoop?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #20

What are you using for tubing for the bumper? Looks great so far!
80Yota is offline   Reply With Quote

Mountain Expedition Yota. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duce and a half tf2. Rc semi /1 ton axle swap for use with tf2 bent_hinge_pin RC4WD Trail Finder 2 5 07-05-2018 08:24 PM