Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Mountain Expedition Yota.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: BC’s TF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Looking good brother, I think you're going to add a couple little ramp like tubes from down at front frame rail area to the front hoop?
Something very close..... trying to decide if I want to put a warn up front...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Yota View Post
What are you using for tubing for the bumper? Looks great so far!

I mix 3/16 solid rod and 1/8 solid rod on all my bumpers/sliders... I try to toss 3/16 tube into my cages to keep the weight down... I like using solid rod in high impact areas....
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

A few updates to note.

I have most of the rear bumper done and I added a little welding etc to the front bumper. I ended up getting a great deal on a new winch so there will be some changes and additions to the front.

Front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Few additions/changes today while I wait on parts.

Minor but major change. Something was bugging me about the front bumper. I am so glad I only tack while mocking. I flipped and shortened slightly

Rear reinforced with tiny side bash plates.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:23 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Bumpers look great. I love how you've mounted the rear one
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mountain Expedition Yota.

Looked on the shelf and saw this rack I had built many years ago for another bobbed yota build I did. I never ended up using it and it looks good in the Marlin box. I think I will add some sidebars just for structural support but I don’t want to take away from the light minimal look of it.

I also received my winch from Youngblood....

The current front bumper needs more change.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #26

Dude, looks so good. I hope I can do half as good for the tubing work on mine. What are your secrets?!?
80Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Yota View Post
Dude, looks so good. I hope I can do half as good for the tubing work on mine. What are your secrets?!?

Thank you for the kindness sir. Honestly just many years and non diagnosed or medicated ocd. .

Been working on the rack to make it more safe and useful on the trail. Added a permanent home for the yeti and the hi lifting jack. Both are essential outback Wv trail tools.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Default Mountain Expedition Yota.

Finally found some fab time! I received a Bowhouse Rc Toyota hood kit and picked up some blazer hinges. I’ve had a set of noob inner fenders so I broke out the mek and plastic tote.

The Bowhouse kit went together to nicely. I love how the kit reinforces the yoda body.

I mounted a spare tire carrier. Please ignore the plastic wing nut. I need to pick up a spare 1.7 MTR as well. Anyone have a spare?

I need to reinforce the noob inner fenders a bit and add some more pressure and mek to a few more places on the hood kit. Can’t get over how perfectly the hood kit mates up with the noob crossmember and inner fenders. Such a wonderful thing............

Last edited by Bananaclip; 02-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Very nice updates, need to do some inner fenders on mine too! Bowhouse stuff has been great quality ime.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:29 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Looking good so far. Keep the updates coming!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Very nice updates, need to do some inner fenders on mine too! Bowhouse stuff has been great quality ime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Looking good so far. Keep the updates coming!

Thank you Gentlemen..... I am having a great time with this build... Much more to do. I will keep all that's interested updated as this progresses...
Old 02-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #32

It looks great! I really love the project.

What were your reasons for ditching the Yota axles and going with SSD?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

What were your reasons for ditching the Yota axles and going with SSD?
I can answer that one for you in his own words, and I quote "If I can't build it bulletproof, I don't want to bother building it"

If you haven't noticed, hes a bit of a perfectionist. Makes for amazing end results and attention to detail that's impeccable.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #34

I love the custom work!!
mthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Default Mountain Expedition Yota.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have been on a short break but I did get a little done on the yota today. I wasn’t happy at all with the purchased front leaf hangers. They didn’t allot enough room for the front tires through suspension cycle. I also picked up a sweet GCM Jeep project and decided that the warn winch would work much better on it.

With the grill recessed naturally on the JK the winch shouldn’t take away as much approach angle as it did on the yota.

I went off my original bracket design I made up at least 6 years ago. This design offers the perfect suspension movement allowing total freedom of the tires. I spent a few hours today duplicating 4 more off the OG.

The new brackets worked out just like they did last time I made them giving plenty of room and a nice modified yota profile.

The red unpainted shell illustrates the purchased version and how close my tires were to the rear of the fender.

Last edited by Bananaclip; 05-06-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Great to see you back brother, was wondering if you were ok! I sold my shackle reversal kit for similar reasons, you nailed it on wheel position with your version!
Old 05-08-2019, 02:33 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Is it the RC4WD shackle reversal kit you're referring to? I've fitted mine but not tested it yet. Only thing i noticed was how low the front of the leafs now are compared to the A&M kit.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Great to see you back brother, was wondering if you were ok! I sold my shackle reversal kit for similar reasons, you nailed it on wheel position with your version!
I am great Nate! I have just been stupid busy with all the warm weather projects outside of Rc... This truck is one that needs done for now at least... I think the hangers hit the mark as well! Once things slow down a tad I will send you a set...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
Is it the RC4WD shackle reversal kit you're referring to? I've fitted mine but not tested it yet. Only thing i noticed was how low the front of the leafs now are compared to the A&M kit.
I haven't messed with the RC4WD version good sir... I know there is +4 options available now offered by A&M that should do the trick... I also know with your excellent metal shaping skills a nice custom set could be produced to your Liking
Old 05-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Neilus, I bought the A&M set, mounted it all up and then sold them. Even had to buy a new frame because I had drilled out the rear shackle mounts, which I didn't like doing in the first place because it makes the frame rails very thin at the bottom and the steel shackle screws eat away at the aluminum frame. There has to be a better way than that, but I haven't had time to look at what I might do to avoid this drilling or prevent steel on aluminum wear. The way the brackets are shaped, they also kinda capture the leaf springs which hinders suspension flex. IMO the forward spring mounts should have much less material hanging down around the leafs, but still need to be strong. The way that the inboard A&M kit mounts, if I cut/ground away the material to free up the springs from rubbing on them, they would have been too weak.

Other thing with the A&M kit is that the steering linkage isn't right after the mod. I'm running tie-rod above the springs with forward steering on Yota1 axles. If you use Yota2 axles with BTA it might be ok, dunno. I didn’t want to go back to tie rod below the springs. I don’t want to sound too negative as A&M is doing cool parts and seems like nice guy, parts just weren’t working for what I wanted to do.

I haven't messed with the RC4WD shackle reversal setup either. I've got many projects and my TF2 wheels very well, so I put it all back how I had it before the shackle reversal.

Travis, great to hear that you're doing well and just working on home stuff! Sweet, looking forward to that, when you have time!

Hmmm, havent' seen the new A&M +4 options, off to check it out. Wish he made his webpage easier to find, search doesn't like it for some reason and I don't do Bookface.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-08-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Thanks for that info, much appreciated

Mountain Expedition Yota. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duce and a half tf2. Rc semi /1 ton axle swap for use with tf2 bent_hinge_pin RC4WD Trail Finder 2 5 07-05-2018 08:24 PM