Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: My first leaf sprung truck...the Marlin Crawler TF2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #1

Default My first leaf sprung truck...the Marlin Crawler TF2

I was finally able to find a deal on a new Marlin Crawler on ebay so I picked one up. I have watched lots of videos which include the 5 leaf spring mods. I removed the springs from the shocks and I was wondering what fluid to put in them or if they are supposed to be filled like a normal coil over shock? I also removed the smallest helper spring and I plan to order the A&M shackle reverse kit as well as the bowhouse shackle mount for the rear. I'm planning to do the chino mod but I have a question, in the video he says that he does the mod to all four corners, is he meaning just the front of the front springs and the rear of the rear springs or (I'm thinking) chino the the front and rear of all the springs? Also, I'm planning to pickup the interior kit and some 1.55 SSD wheels and some pitbull tires. Love these forums and appreciate any of you pros input.

Thanks
smack2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My first leaf sprung truck...the Marlin Crawler TF2

1.55 pitbull xors are soon to be released for the tf2!!!! And check out the revolver kit from rc4wd for the rig before u swap to a 4link

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm no pro, but...here's my $0.02 haha

I got my first leaf spring TF2 tiny truck mid last year, and I'm still tinkering on it.

The Chino mod, I did to both ends of the leafs. You want the whole leaf to be able to pivot on the screws, rather than twisting on end, to give you max articulation.
Also, I moved the smallest spring to the top of my leaf pack to help minimize axle twist/wrap.

I took out the springs of my scale shocks, and just put a little 3 in 1 oil to keep the seals from getting dry.

I've also done the A&M reverse shackle and the Bowhouse rear shackles.

Nice choice for wheels. SSD makes some great products!
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #4

I plan on doing the chino mod on the leaf springs this weekend. So for the shocks I just need make sure there is some oil just to keep them lubed up. I was thinking about getting some longer shocks, maybe the bilsteins in 90 or 100 mm. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #5

Congrats. Welcome to the Leaf Spring Mafia! :thumbsup:

The shocks don't need any fluid inside them IMO. They are there more for looks than anything. The leaf springs are the load bearing springs and the shocks are supposed to be dampers, but you can't do that without pistons and oil.

I did the A&M shackle reversal, but RC4WD also has a kit now. You have to drill for the A&M shackle reversal kit. I'm not sure if you have to do that for the RC4WD kit.

SSD wheels are great and so are Pitbull tires.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

3000wt diff lube is what I used in the shocks and works great! Got this tip from New2rocks, be sure you read all the stickies at the top of the page too. Skip any fancy revolver shackles or stuff like that, they may give more travel but won't rock crawl as well imo. Leaf springs and tiny tires are a great fun combo and with some tuning, TIRES, and driving practice this truck goes a lot of places!

and congrats on your new crawler and welcome to RCC!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
3000wt diff lube is what I used in the shocks and works great! Got this tip from New2rocks, be sure you read all the stickies at the top of the page too. Skip any fancy revolver shackles or stuff like that, they may give more travel but won't rock crawl as well imo. Leaf springs and tiny tires are a great fun combo and with some tuning, TIRES, and driving practice this truck goes a lot of places!

and congrats on your new crawler and welcome to RCC!
Not to hijack the thread but what size tires do you recommend on leaf sprung TF2 chassis?
80Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
RCC Addict

FYI, the Marlin comes with RC4WD’s rear leaf hanger mounts that have the corrected geometry already.

I did the Chino mod and the suspension on my truck feels amazing.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #9

So I was able to do the chino mod on the rear leaf springs. I used a dremel with a sanding wheel but I burnt up all the sanding wheels I had on the rear springs. How does it look? Do I need to change anything?

Untitled by Robert Sawyer, on Flickr

Untitled by Robert Sawyer, on Flickr
Old 02-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #10

I went through the truck and greased everything, also put loctite everywhere that was metal to metal. I noticed that the front diff hits the servo horn, is there anyway around this?

Also, which do you guys prefer, the A&M shackle reverse kit or the one from RC4WD?

Thanks for your input
Old 02-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I just got my RC4WD shackle kit in the mail---Havent installed it yet but I think the jist of it is, they both achieve the same goal but the A&M kit looks to require drilling as mentioned above.

I would say whichever is in your budget/skillset/work you are will to perform

I agree on what others have said about the revolver shackles. I have them and all they appear to do is behave sloppy.

I plan to Chino mod, O Rings above and under the leaf spring where it mounts to the axle, Shackle relocation kit for the front, remove the rear revolver shackles and try that
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #12

What is the best scale drive shafts for the Marlin TF2? RC4WD? SSD? Something else? My front shaft broke this weekend at the beach and it was 2WD on the sand which was fun lol!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2006 View Post
So I was able to do the chino mod on the rear leaf springs. I used a dremel with a sanding wheel but I burnt up all the sanding wheels I had on the rear springs. How does it look? Do I need to change anything?
Looks fine, but I'd have taken off a bit less imo.

Quote:
I noticed that the front diff hits the servo horn, is there anyway around this?

Also, which do you guys prefer, the A&M shackle reverse kit or the one from RC4WD?
IIRC I shimmed my steering servo up a tiny bit, there's only so much up travel needed and depending on the shocks, shock hoops etc, may need to do other things to prevent the diff/servo horn interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
I just got my RC4WD shackle kit in the mail---Havent installed it yet but I think the jist of it is, they both achieve the same goal but the A&M kit looks to require drilling as mentioned above.

I would say whichever is in your budget/skillset/work you are will to perform

I agree on what others have said about the revolver shackles. I have them and all they appear to do is behave sloppy.

I plan to Chino mod, O Rings above and under the leaf spring where it mounts to the axle, Shackle relocation kit for the front, remove the rear revolver shackles and try that
Agreed on the shackle reversal kits, however I prefer to not drill out the frame...that said I have a frame drilled for A&M kit and one not.

Yep, Revolvers, Z-box, whatevers waste of money imo. Careful with the o-rings mod as it can induce extra axle wrap. I prefer to just run the axle to spring locknut slightly loose and above the spring, not under the axle like stock configuration.

Quote:
What is the best scale drive shafts for the Marlin TF2? RC4WD? SSD? Something else? My front shaft broke this weekend at the beach and it was 2WD on the sand which was fun lol!
INCISION DRIVESHAFTS FOR SCX10-2 RTR & SCX10
SKU: IRC00220
https://www.vanquishproducts.com/inc...0-2-rtr-scx10/
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

My first leaf sprung truck...the Marlin Crawler TF2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TF2 Leaf sprung suspension set up info thread Bananaclip RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 08-01-2015 12:09 PM
GMade portal axle leaf sprung truck? johnnyh66 General Crawlers 3 07-03-2012 08:51 AM