Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: 80Yota's Build Thread: 1980 Yota

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #1

Default 80Yota's Build Thread: 1980 Yota

Hi All,

So starts the slowest build thread you may ever witness. This is not because I am slow (although I am not the fastest) but because I plan to build this truck from the ground up with the parts I want the first time.....and of course I am still learning as this is my first RC build. Feedback/comments are most welcome.

Here is my old 1:1 that I will be basing the build on:

So where to start.....well I decided to start from the ground up!

Just placed the first order with RC4WD who will probably be getting a majority of my business for scale-ness. Here is whats on the way:

Z-A0080 Yota II Ultimate Scale Cast Axle (Front)

Z-A0081 Yota II Ultimate Scale Cast Axle (Rear)

Z-T0053 Rock Crusher X/T 1.55" Scale Tires

Z-S0737 Stamped 1.55" and 1.7" Beadlock Wheel Hex Hubs

Z-S0529 1.5 & 1.7 Steel Wheel Hex Hub with Brake Rotor

Z-W0281 Deep Dish Wagon 1.55" Stamped Steel Beadlock Wheels (Black)

I felt these axles had the best scale looks and function. I will be upgrading to helical gears and XVDs next month.

The tires are not the ones I wanted but I think they give me the scale look I am going for. I had BFG Mud Terrains on my 1:1 but I could only find those in a 1.9" wheel and 4.2" tall both of which are bigger than scale so.....

The wheels are interesting. I wanted 1.55 wagon deep dish 6 lug. Couldn't find any wheels that checked all those boxes but did find these wheels but in 5 lug. So I got 6 lug brake rotors and wheel hex hubs to try my hand at drilling a 6 lug pattern on the 5 lug wheels. The things I will do for scale-ness lol......

So thats all I could afford for this month. Will put up links to pics once the parts come in and I start putting them together. Tune in next month for the next phase of the build

Last edited by 80Yota; 02-21-2019 at 06:18 AM.
80Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 80Yota's Build Thread: 1980 Yota

Your off to a good start. Don't worry about how long your build will take. When I built my tf2 it tool me about one year to build it like I wanted. Like you it was my first build ever and loved doing it. I put alot of time and money into mine. Hope you enjoy the time you build on yours. There's just something about building a kit vs a rtr, lol.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #3

Default Re: 80Yota's Build Thread: 1980 Yota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Your off to a good start. Don't worry about how long your build will take. When I built my tf2 it tool me about one year to build it like I wanted. Like you it was my first build ever and loved doing it. I put alot of time and money into mine. Hope you enjoy the time you build on yours. There's just something about building a kit vs a rtr, lol.
I think for me I will enjoy building it more than running it. I just like tinkering. I probably could have come out money ahead buying an RTR kit and just upgrading parts but I wanted to just go slow and buy the upgraded parts the first time to "build it right" as they say. Hopefully all goes as planned. I am just happy to have something relatively cheap to tinker with that will fit in the heated/cooled basement
Old 02-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #4

Default 80Yota's Build Thread: 1980 Yota

Yay for updates.......

So I had some time this past weekend to work on the wheels and tires I got from RC4wd (see first post).

I wanted the deep dish wagon wheel to mimic what I had on my 1:1 rig but they were 5 lug, not 6 so I figured I would give "converting" them to 6 lug a try....

So I started with a 6 lug hub and drilled out all holes but one. This let me use the one un-drilled hole to screw it onto the wheel with one lug.

Then from the back I used the drilled out holes in the hub to guide the drill bit to drill the holes in the wheel. Have to be extra careful the hub stays center when doing this (not easy to do with only one bolt holding it).

Here is the first wheel/tire/brake rotor mounted. The hub looks a smidge off center but it is closer than it looks in the picture and I think it will be fine for a crawler.

Both front wheels/tires mounted and bolted to front axle.

And the back two wheels done using just the 6 lug hubs (since the rear are drum brakes).

No tires as I goofed and only ordered one set of tires when I though I ordered two.

So would I recommend this? Probably not for the amount of work it takes and it is difficult to make it "look good" if your going for show quality. But for me it will resemble my 1:1 very well and I am not so worried about the scratches and such on the wheels. I will most likely get a second set of nicer bead lock wheels and 4.19 BFG Mud Terrains or Krawlers at some point anyway. This first go around is just in an attempt for scaleness at the expense of some performance.....

Last edited by 80Yota; 02-21-2019 at 06:08 AM.

80Yota's Build Thread: 1980 Yota - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XXL Yota Build Thread Bugs Crawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 67 05-11-2018 06:59 PM
My first ever build 1980 K5 Blazer Mike490 Axial SCX-10 109 09-13-2016 09:07 PM
1/10 Faux-Functional 1980 Toyota 22R Engine - Janky's Finished Build! ModTrialsRider 1.9 Scale Rigs 27 08-26-2015 01:36 AM
1/10 Faux-Functional 1980 Toyota 22R Engine - Janky's Finished Build ModTrialsRider Videos! 2 08-23-2015 09:36 PM
Dual Dingo build thread-My first build thread juswin24 Axial SCX-10 205 09-19-2013 12:42 PM