Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: The journey of a slightly de-marlinized TF2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The journey of a slightly de-marlinized TF2

I hope that this thread will be well-received as I'm aware that there are plenty of TF2 threads here already. I've had this rig for over a month now but I took my time researching this awesome platform and doing some initial mods before ever even thinking about getting some dirt on the tires.

First impressions are that it is an unbelievably FUN vehicle and behaves SO much differently than my other linked crawlers. The sprung suspension forces you to really feel the rig, pick lines more carefully, and drive with more finesse... paying attention to small details ( suspension movements, handling characteristics, trail obstacles, etc). Driving this rig is proving more challenging than a linked rig but I'm completely convinced that it's a good thing. I'll always love driving my D110 & Bronco TRX4's but there is something undeniably appealing about also being able to run such a completely different 1/10 scale vehicle now.

What I've done so far:

> Body- I originally sought to simply have a Marlin Crawler but after I had it a while, I decided that the orangish-red body color and big bright yellow badging was not the direction that I wanted to go. So I planned at that point to use a nice true-red Krylon spray on the outside of the body. I was also already planning at that point, to paint the interior and underside in Krylon Fusion satin black. After laying down the black I was VERY pleased to see that in the process, it had created the perfect red hue on the outside! So now I don't see any need to paint the exterior and that's cool with me! There's some more details that need to be done in order to completely finish the body ( adding Hilux 4x4 side badges, Toyota grill badge, proper tailgate badges, bed-rail tie-downs, snorkel, more scale accessories, etc) but it's coming along nicely at this point.

> Tamiya PS-31 window tint- I went a little heavier than I had intended and although it slightly hides that there is no finished interior, I feel like it's a bit too dark and also a little more "blurry" looking than I would like. If I do replace these windows, I'll definitely tint them a little lighter. I don't mind that the rear window will have to remain as is which is good since I can't redo that one.

> Internal shock spring removal mod
> Small leaf removal mod
> Chino Mod ( leaf spring eye taper mod)
> RC4WD TF2 Marlin Crawler steel rear tube bumper
> RC4WD TF2 Tough Armor steel front tube bumper w/ winch mount
> RC4WD TF2 Marlin Crawler steel sliders
> RC4WD scale shock boots
> RC4WD 1/10 Viking roller fair-lead
> RC4WD Warn 9.5cti winch spooled w/ steel cable
> Gear Head 1/10 Factor 55 Pro-Link winch shackle mount
> Yeah Racing 1/10 HD D-ring
> SSD rear scale hubs
> RC4WD Warn front lockout scale hubs
> Gmade 8mm scale hex bolts on stock wheels
> Custom fabricated alum rear bumper reinforcement plate

Next up:

> Steering servo ( Will prob go with HH shv500 v2 but not 100% sure yet)
> Front shock & tower rearward relocation
> Shave down the corners of the front wheel wells to reduce tire contact when turning
> Thread-lock everywhere
> RC4WD steel roll-cage ( I'm worried about adding this much weight above the chassis but we'll see)
> RC4WD KC Hilites ( 4)
> RC4WD Safari snorkel kit
> XT60 to replace Tamyia style connector
> Switch from NiMH to Zippy 2700 3S lipo

*** Another thing that I want to address is either a Dead Man Switch in the bed or an easier way to remove the body. I've seen several ways to accomplish both of these things so I'll be taking a more detailed look into all of this.

Below is a crappy pic of the chino mod. Fwiw I felt the need to only remove a small amount of material. I want to also give the springs some break-in time in order to gauge performance before I go too far. This mod I did on all ends... front and back ( 8 eyes total).

I really hated the plastic rear bumper mount ( cross-member) because it sort of acts as a pivot and causes a good deal of up and down movement of the bumper. Originally I was going to buy an RC4WD aluminum replacement but decided instead to fabricate a thick alum plate that bolts directly to the chassis and into the threaded bumper supports. This plate greatly strengthens the bumper and I feel is more reliable and secure than the RC4WD upgraded cross-member since the plate utilizes a total of 6 mounting points ( as opposed to 2). There is absolutely no play or pivot now.

I was dead set on running steel cable on the winch. Problem was that the stock steel bumper doesn't have enough room on the fair-lead plate ( vertically) to mount a roller fair-lead. I looked at a slew of aftermarket bumpers out there ( most of which I didn't like for one reason or another) and finally settled on an RC4WD Tough Armor bumper that I thought would work but I again ran into several fitment issues.

All I knew was that I didn't want to switch out to synthetic line/ hawse and there was no way in hell that I was going to run a steel cable through a hawse fair-lead lol. So I decided to fabricate a steel 'L' plate that would mount the fair-lead low enough to clear the middle bumper tube and also have a minimal profile so as to not compromise approach angle. It was an easy job for the most part although getting everything bolted together was another story lol. Anyway... I'm very happy with the result and now I have my cable-spooled winch with proper roller fair-lead... the way God intended!

Thanks so much for taking a look at this thread. There will for sure be more on the way regarding this TF2's journey!

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The journey of a slightly de-marlinized TF2

Very Nice! I love how the body colored turned out.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Very nice, welcome to the fun of leaf springs and hardbody crawling! Just need to swap in some 1.55s and slightly smaller tires.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks guys! I'm having a lot of fun with this one so far. Also... I'm not sure what exactly is lending itself to this rig being so enjoyable to drive ( the stock esc, gearing, drive-train, weight ?) but it accelerates/ brakes/ drives so smoothly and precisely for a stock-ish rig!

I've got some RC4WD IROK ND tires mounted on a set of SSD 1.55's that I intended to put on this rig but the approx 98mm OD looked just a little too small imo. The wheel size of the stock 1.7's looks a bit large so I plan to get another set of 1.55's and wrap them with something a little larger than the OD of the IROK ND 1.55's. Because who doesn't need "just one more set" of tires/ wheels in their life haha?
Old 02-26-2019, 03:50 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Waiting on:

HH shv500v2 ( out of stock)
3Brothers-RC 3S servo connector
RC4WD 1.55 white Landies Vintage steel BL's
RC4WD 1.55 Mud Slinger tires

Not many 1.55' tire or wheel choices out there so I'm hoping that the Mud Slingers will be a good fit under this TF2 and suitable for the conditions that it'll see. Their 105mm OD is right in between the approx 109mm tires that this truck came with ( too big), and the approx 98mm tires that I had planned to use ( too small).

The KM2-ish looking tires & plastic faux-beadlock wheels that I ran today ( shown in the pics below) came off of my EMS 1/16 Max Stone lol, but they looked like an appropriate size so I threw 'em on and gave 'em a shot. Personally, I think that they look pretty sweet under the Toyota body. They're a very stiff compound with deep aggressive tread and while they hooked up well in some hard-pack mud, they weren't very good for much else. They'll see some more trail use but likely only when the ground is wet.

I went ahead and installed the RC4WD TF2 aluminum side body posts but I'll have to do some tweaking if this set-up is going to work efficiently. First, I'm not sure that the posts and/ or set-screws are aligned perfectly with the holes in the body. Second... the set-screws seem to be too long and third... the holes in the body I believe are too small. All of this together made the body VERY difficult to put on/ take off. A lot of wrestling was involved and tbh, using the original screws was much less aggravating.

I used a reamer ( from the inside) to enlarge the body holes a bit but at the very least they'll need to be enlarged some more. I'm hesitant to use a drill bit to enlarge the holes as I don't want to make them any more noticeable from the outside than they already are. Plus I don't want to remove so much material that the body winds up loose and rattling around. I'm planning to cut the set-screws down a few millimeters so that I don't have to pull so hard on the body's sides to get it on/ off. I'm worried that the body will eventually crack if I have to keep using so much muscle to install/ remove.

I think that's it for now. Much more to come! Great day out on the trail and even though I won't be running these tires/ wheels very much, I think they look pretty decent! Pics...

Old 02-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Good looking build. Sounds like you have good upgrades coming up. Love your attitude about the tf2. It is a different thing to drive and so much fun.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks so much for looking. I really do understand the leaf-sprung love. I don't think I've yet stopped smiling while running this rig... aside from during a few tumbles lol. Last weekend I all but forgot that I had my TRX4 in the back of my Jeep. I was just having too much fun with the Marlin!
Old 03-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yes, I feel the same way every time I drive my TF2, kinda forget the other trucks, need to paint/install my rollbar and drive it again. I found the the body posts for cab needed trimmed down a little bit to get proper body lines/shape. Also the buttonhead screws are best mounting I've found, the setscrews let the cab move around and chew away at the holes in the styrene, not good.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:09 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Since you mention roll-bars, Nate... I'll go ahead and update this one now. As far as the 4 cab mounting set-screws go, I think I've got mine at the right length. If necessary, I'll use some shrink-tubing around them to protect the holes from getting wallowed out by the threads. As of now it's a pretty good fit. Even if the orig button-heads are the best solution, I don't want to have to keep track of a hex-driver and 4 screws every time I need to install or remove this body. I'll definitely keep an eye on things though.

Anyway... I wanted to get her dirty immediately after this last set of mods but didn't have the chance this week. Hopefully over the weekend! Below is what was done most recently on the DeMarlinized TF2.

> 3Brothers RC 3S servo connector
> RC4WD steel roll-bar for TF2
> XT60 connector to replace Tamiya
> HH shv500 v2 servo
> Vanquish Velcro battery straps
> Generic Chinese headlights & taillights
> Associated 3" extension
> Side body-pin modification
> RC4WD 1.55 Mud Slinger tires
> RC4WD 1.55 steel D-hole bead-lock wheels

I replaced the servo, the battery connector, and added the 'jst servo lead to 3S balance lead adapter' at the same time. The shv500v2 fits like a glove in the TF2 with no modding of anything. Going to keep using the original alum 25t arm. The servo's wires ( 4 total incl the jst) looked a little unkempt running down the frame rail and was running dangerously close to the spur gear so I went ahead and used a couple real-world cable clamps and a length of conduit to get it all cleaned up and out of harms way. I think it looks much nicer and more scale now without all the exposed wires.

I also wired in some lights while I was at it. These are cheapo generic LEDs. Illumination of the taillights looks great. The headlights look fairly cold/ blue but they'll work for now. I've got them run into the receiver channel via an Associated 3" extension. Had to ream bigger openings in the brackets that hold the taillights in place but pretty straightforward otherwise. Real happy to have some lighting for those early evening trail runs now!

I went ahead and cut about 3.5mm off of each one of the four side [body] mounting posts. This seems to do the trick. I won't know for sure until I'm trying to pull the body on and off in a more natural setting. But eliminating a total of 7mm ( side to side) is allowing the body to go on much more quickly and easily without having to wrestle and excessively bend/ twist it. I will likely still use 2 body clips on the posts in the bed but I think I'm well on my way to much easier body install & removal.

Long story short... Not going to run the white 1.55 Landies on this truck. Instead I decided to wrap the Mud Slinger tires around some black 1.55 SSD steel D-hole bead-locks. I don't normally like black wheels on a lot of vehicles but I'm really happy with them on this particular truck... probably due to all of the black already present. The black and red "theme" is a good look for this rig imo. I've never run 1.55 Mud Slingers so I'm excited to see how the DeMarlinized TF2 does time out... especially with the new Mud Slingers, Zippy 3S 2700mAh, and shv500v2. Hoping for good results!

Uugh... I hosed myself on the roll-bar. Lost $90 in the process! Live and learn. Anyway... Originally I had wanted to use some RC4WD KC Daylighters but forget that! Absolutely ridiculous trying to assemble these fragile little things and they look like they'd get destroyed in a rollover. I didn't mind scrapping the idea of the external lights for now but without them, the roll-bar wasn't going to look right. Anyway... picked up a new roll-bar... much cheaper, more simple, and lighter... plus the small diameter tube looks better suited to the look of the bumpers & sliders already installed.

So that's it for now. Time to hit the trails!
Old 03-15-2019, 04:49 AM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

"Like"

Good lookin' rig! I like the real-world clamp and wire loom. It will keep the wires safe and with the body on it is all hidden away.

That roll bar looks good too. The smaller diameter looks more realistic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:16 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Yeah definitely a like from me! They make a marine shrink tube that has an adhesive inside the tube that works great on stuff like those body grub screws, you could also put a dab of super glue on them with standard shrink tube before shrinking it on, that works really well to keep it in place. I'm planning on doing the same with mine. I really like your wiring, nicecand clean! So that's a RC4WD rollbar, that's pretty nice!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Thanks for looking, guys. The conduit ( or loom) worked out really well imo. It's obviously not at all scale lol but it looks a lot neater and it def adds peace of mind to not have to worry about them snagging on that gear. LIke mentioned... with the body on, it's all very adequately hidden ( aside from the silver washer on outside of the frame rail but I can shoot that with black if it bugs me.

So much happier with this roll-bar. Just wish that RPP would've allowed me to return the other one... sigh. But yeah... so much lighter and it ties in much better considering the diameter of the sliders and bumpers. Very happy with this one. And yep... both roll-bars came from RC4WD.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the body mounting situation and act accordingly to prevent the body or body post holes from becoming compromised. Only reason I'm not using the shrink-tubing currently, is because I'd actually have to ream the holes out more in order for the posts to slide thru.

It's time to get this thing dirty. I feel like a kid waiting to open up another Christmas present lol.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:12 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Great day with the newly upgraded TF2! I'm worn out but wanted to post...

> Shortened cab-mounting body posts ( set-screws)- Perfect! Body is nice and tight and it takes minimum amt of effort to get the body on & off easily/ properly. I don't feel anything else needs to be done with this atm.
> Lipo conversion/ XT60/ HH shv500v2/ 3Bros connector/ lighting- all perfect. Truck really woke up with the 2700mAh lipo and Holmes Hobbies servo!
> RC4WD Mud Slingers- Insane! These tires are simply one of the best I've ever used. The deep lugs along with the soft [included] foams, just gripped everything. The weight of this rig seems just about perfect now and these tires conformed to the rocks like glue. Could not be happier with these in regards to performance.
> RC4WD roll-bar- Another win! The minimum weight-gain and increased structural rigidity of the body makes this one a winner in my book. Love this thing!
> SSD wheels- I'm really happy with the look of these out on the trail and they seem to be a good weight for this rig. Unfortunately the offset is causing a fair amount of tire rubbing on the leaf springs in the front while turning sharply left/ right. This will have to be addressed thru some wider hexes or end-point adjustment or something.

All other upgrades/ changes are working without issues but aren't worth mentioning. All in all VERY happy with how she's driving and handling now. Damage and/ or issues today were very limited- I had a drivers side front turn-signal lens pop out. Found it and it didn't break so no biggie. Both front wheels came off at two different times today. I seem to always have issues with the RC4WD Warn front hubs coming lose ( previously on my TRX4's... now on the TF2) so time to break out a little more thread-lock. I didn't lose either hub today nor the wheel hexes but lost an axle-pin after one of the wheels and subsequent hexes walked off the shaft. Other than that.. no issues and no damage besides some rash on the body and undercarriage.

Next up in no particular order: HiLux badges, RC4WD snorkel, front inner fender wells, wider wheel hexes or something to get the tires away from the front leaf springs, scale wheel lugs, maybe new receiver and transmitter, maybe steel drive-shafts, and some other things that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Pictures!

Old 03-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

"Like"

Awesome pics! Nice upgrade list. I will be keeping these upgrades in mind for my next build. I hoping to pick up a Marlin soon. Can't wait to join the leaf spring club!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I'm lovin the look of this rig! I really need to get going on both of mine.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #16

Nice rig!! And great inspiration for my upcoming build.
mthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I didn't even realize that anyone had bumped this thread... Cool! I really appreciate the comments. Thanks so much for taking a look.

Did some more mods and upgrades over the past couple weeks:

> RC4WD 1.55 Stocker wheels- I needed to move the wheels/ tires out just a tad. With the black SSD bead-lock wheels ( shown in the most recent pics) I tried pushing them out by way of a set of KNK Team 8mm wide hexes. This worked but moved them out a little too much imo. Then I saw the RC4WD Stocker wheels on RPP and "wow!" I had to have 'em! The negative offset is pretty much perfect... getting the front tires away from the leaf-springs yet not overdoing the track-width. I absolutely LOVE the 80's Centerline appearance. I've always loved those wheels and I think they look killer on this rig. They come with a set of very nicely machined center caps and a tool to be able to quickly and easily install/ remove them.

Interested to see what others think of the look of these wheels.

Other than the new wheels... I haven't done much although I've got a lot of new parts to install. I did peel off the small Marlin Crawler decal and move more towards a more generic 80's vibe by putting on a couple of '4x4' decals on the rear sides. I'm liking the "de-marlinized' appearance more and more.

Next phase will be:

> Hilux 4wd/ 327 side badges
> Toyota grille badge
> Hilux 4wd tailgate badge
> RC4WD XVD axle shafts
> RC4WD driver's side Safari snorkel ( maybe)
> RC4WD front inner fender liners ( flat black)
> RC4WD Tough Armor rear tube bumper ( modified)
> *** At some point I'd like to change out the radio and receiver to the FS GT5 6 channel ( originally intended for my Associated CR12 FJ) but that may be a while out.

Some pics of last weeks lake trail...

This next one looks just as easy and tame as all get out but at least for this particular day, it was one of the more daunting routes. When I would try to side-hill a little more, she just started feeling sketchy... really loose granulated-silica surface with hard pack dirt under that... all she wanted to do was slide. And I was at the absolute edge on the passenger side. In pics it looks like I could have easily gotten over to the left but it just wasn't the case or at least I didn't feel that it was. A slip up there would've put her submerged upside down in the lake so it was a bit of a butt-clench situation for a few seconds lol.

Coming back was much better since I better knew where to put her...

I absolutely love driving leaf-sprung. I must be crazy but the limitations create challenges and it just makes it super fun. I think maybe I utilize more precision thinking when I'm trailing or crawling the tf2 as opposed to my linked trx4's... at least in an overall sense. Might also be that I may be less willing to totally bash up the Toyota hard body as opposed to my Bronco and D110 trx4's. I cringe more when she rolls lol.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Really dig what you've done with your TF2 - it looks clean and functional, very nice work! I have a Marlin also and it is a hoot to drive, just can't get enough.

Do you plan to keep the front bumper? That's one thing I cannot stand - it looks odd due to placement, and sticks out like a picnic table. I plan to make one for mine to replace the stock one.
Cr00zah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr00zah View Post
Really dig what you've done with your TF2 - it looks clean and functional, very nice work! I have a Marlin also and it is a hoot to drive, just can't get enough.

Do you plan to keep the front bumper? That's one thing I cannot stand - it looks odd due to placement, and sticks out like a picnic table. I plan to make one for mine to replace the stock one.
Thanks. I'm planning to keep it. It's not my favorite look and the size does hinder some performance but due to the tapered shape, it doesn't get snagged on much regarding approach angle. I put a lot of time into making the home-fabbed winch plate, winch, roller fair-lead, and bumper work together... just so that I could run a more classic steel-cable. I think it looks kinda cool in that regard. I guess another reason it doesn't bother me too much is because it matches the same tube diameter of the sliders, roll-bar, and rear bumper. It's certainly not my favorite design as it's a little over the top but it does have a pre-runner look that I can appreciate on a Hilux. I definitely agree that there are other more traditionally-cool, lower-profile, and more factory-looking bumpers out there but this one works for me at least for now.

Apologies for the long post but maybe some of that will help someone else in choosing a front bumper for their Marlin.

The bumper already saved her a couple times from flipping over forward. She would've taken a lot of tumbles here if not for that thing...

Old 04-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I'm really liking the new wheels! The truck overall is looking mighty fine as well. Can I make a suggestion to leave the snorkel off... I really feel the snorkel takes away from the trail rig vibe.. JMO and do as you wish ... just sayin...
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote

The journey of a slightly de-marlinized TF2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Journey of SMP TAT76 Axial SCX10 II 57 03-08-2021 06:08 AM
My trx-4 journey dittohead Traxxas TRX-4 6 08-05-2017 10:42 PM
I seen Journey last night... Kamikaze Chit Chat 8 08-09-2008 01:47 AM