Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: c0bra’s tf2 lwb build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra’s tf2 lwb build!

So this build kinda started a few months ago when I picked up a marlin rtr, and proceeded to take all of the junk parts off of it. Then for one reason or another it sat dormant for a bit until I ordered a boom racing lwb conversion, only to stumble on tower and find the v8 and r4 trans with mounts in stock! So I immediately picked it up along with an orange prepainted body! Then after putting the k5 body on the marlin chassis and it not fitting right, I ripped apart both tf2 to swap chassis, only to do it again days later.

Then I went on shapeways and found some parts that I knew I had to use! A k10 cab back, 313mm wheelbase bed extension and a k10 smooth tailgate! But then I realized there was a problemmmm. There is no way I can use the orange body since I didn’t paint it, so I bit the bullet and got an unpainted one!

So that’s where I am now, I’ll introduce the chassis when it gets to that point, but the body is important!

So today I went to the lhs and picked up picked up a saw and proceeded to cut the body in half and then glued the 3d printed parts on

Now my favorite part....body work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: c0bra’s tf2 lwb build!

Last night after creating this build thread I filled in the big gaps in the body with scrap styrene and today I attacked it with a dremel and sand paper before applying the first coat of tamiya putty

Old 03-26-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I’ll definitely be watching this one as I’ve been curious to see how those 3D printed parts work out. I’ve thought about doing something similar.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nice! I did pretty much the same thing but not with printed parts.
1tonblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:27 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Got the body work done and grabbed the chassis to start getting everything mounted.

For the cab I’m just going to use the factory blazer mounts though i may flip them. As for the bed I’m not quite sure yet, I’ll work on that tonight.

I didn’t notice that I completely failed at cutting it and gluing everything straight so the gap between the bed and cab looks terrible. Oh well this was the first time ive ever actually finished a body that ive started doing body work on!

I’ve also ordered some black 1.9 vanquish roost wheels for this and a bunch of parts from exclusive rc and rc4wd. Once the wheels get in and the body is monted ill look at possible tires to run on this. Im debating on either 1.55 rock beast or 1.55 braven beserkers

Last edited by c0bra; 03-28-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Bed is roughly mounted. It’s just a piece of aluminum angle screwed into the rear shock mount, that has the bed screwed into it. I will need to space the bed up a hair but it’s for the most part good!

Old 03-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Old 03-31-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Man those mod19 parts are expensive... But they sure look great!
I also did a cab back but without mod19 parts. 2 sheets of styrene and squadron green putty.
Maybe it was me but that putty SUCKS.
good call going with tamiya putty.

And yes cutting the body in half is TERIFYING.
I think you did okay. Putty, sand, primer, repeat ;)

Paint looks awesome! Love the color, very period correct and probably looks even better in the sun hint hint wink wink
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Love the green color! Looking great.
1tonblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Finally a pic of the chassis! It began life as a standard tf2 kit version with the chassis being swapped out for a boom racing lwb conversion (it stayed stock for a bit before getting the idea) with a rc4wd v8 and r4 transmission. At the same time I removed the smaller leaf and an a&m shackle flip as well as proline scaler shocks with 25wt oil. Also steal punishers as the stock driveshafts are made out of Swiss cheese.

Then i picked up an exclusive rc aww intake, rc4wd pulley kit and radiator which led me to need to ditch the front leaf hangers in favor or trimmed and redrilled bruiser hangers. To round out the front end, a savox sb-2290sg servo and vanquish servo horn. I also have xvds on the way. The rear axle is stock.

There is an rc4wd 45t motor that’s connected to a male deans plug as to not destroy the hobbywing 1080 when plugging in the battery. The esc side of the motor connection has the female deans, battery connector still needs to be switched to deans. To finish out the electronics is an airtronics rx471w.

Wheels and tires are vanquish 1.9 roost with 1.55 pitbull rock beasts stretched on them. I’m also running the optional cover for the wheel nut with 225 slw hubs

Other details not mentioned are a powershift rc led kit, and rc4wd tough armor front and rear bumpers if they clear. If the bumpers work, I’ll pick up a warn 8274 winch for the front.

As for the rest of the body, this is the first one I actually painted around the windows with flat black as well as inside the cab and engine bay. The rest of the interior will be flat black except for the seats which will be flat gray.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Interior is painted! It’s not perfect but it was all done by hand. It’s mostly flat black, with flat gray seats and floor shifter with a flat aluminum and flat black wheel.

It may not be scale, but I’m proud of it. Considering it’s my first attempt

Old 04-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

Nice! Love the way this truck is turning out. Windows and engine bay look great. Nice work.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Nice! Love the way this truck is turning out. Windows and engine bay look great. Nice work.
Thanks!

its really coming along now. I received an a&m garage anti wrap bar in the mail and will be picking up the adjustable rc4wd bumper mounts for an scx10 from my lhs today. Due to the servo being flipped around, the stock bumper mounts will not work, so these mounts are the last option before i design a servo/bumper mount to get printed.

I am also going to get battery straps for this so i can get the electronics done.

Also the rc4wd bumper that i ordered is finally being shipped! Which is great because I need time to do a shake down run by May 4th at the latest as Im taking this rig to a trail run on the 5th

c0bra’s tf2 lwb build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tf2 lwb snapon boy RC4WD Trail Finder 2 20 07-08-2018 01:44 PM
My lwb tf2 gaz RC4WD Trail Finder 2 2 10-02-2017 12:12 PM
2mtech's TF2 LWB LC70 build 2mtech RC4WD Trail Finder 2 20 09-19-2017 09:40 PM
My nothing special TF2 LWB build introducing "moreDoor" Honcho907 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 28 12-27-2016 07:06 PM