Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: B-MOW buys a TF2 Marlin Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #61
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: B-MOW buys a TF2 Marlin Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmblr2 View Post
I absolutely love the grey! If I ever think about painting mine...I. May have to copy you.
Oh, and the yellow headlights.....
Thanks Scrmblr2!

Copy away! The Ultra Matte Slate (gray) looks even better in person!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Marlin has been feeling neglected lately, so I drove it in the garage tonight and spent some time with it.

A few months back, I bought the A&M Garage TF2 High Clearance Bumper/Shackle Reversal. It came as raw steel, so I shot it with a couple coats of Rust-Oleum Flat Black.

Attachment 385962

Bumper now sits right up against the grill and provides a much better approach angle.

I still need to install a fairlead to the bumper. I also need to rig up a servo winch and find a place to mount it behind the the trans somewhere on the chassis. I'll get to that another day.

Thanks for looking!
A&M makes two versions of the shackle reversal. Did you get the standard or +4mm setup? Im undecided and trying to find pictures of rigs with the axle moved forward 4mm.
thanks
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #63
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul shabinguez View Post
A&M makes two versions of the shackle reversal. Did you get the standard or +4mm setup? Im undecided and trying to find pictures of rigs with the axle moved forward 4mm.
thanks
Yes I did get it with the +4mm. I should have stated that when I posted the pics.

I actually bought both versions, the standard reversal kit and the bumper with the +4mm. If you go back and look at post #14, it shows the TF2 Shackle Reversal Kit without the +4mm. This kit is just the plates to reverse the shackle mounts.

On post #48, I installed the TF2 High Clearance Bumper/Shackle Reversal with the +4mm. When I purchased this, I wanted to try out the +4mm to see how I liked it. I think the +4mm is the better option.

Both posts, #14 & #48 show a side view showing where the front of the leaf is mounted.

Here are a couple pics I just took to show the bumper with the +4mm.

Name:  IMG_5862.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  177.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5863.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  178.6 KB

Hope this helps you! Let me know if you need more pics.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

That was a ton of help! Thanks alot.
I clocked the motor down, and I don't see that interfering with the axle moved forward. Not anymore than it already is. Lol
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #65
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul shabinguez View Post
That was a ton of help! Thanks alot.
I clocked the motor down, and I don't see that interfering with the axle moved forward. Not anymore than it already is. Lol
Your welcome! Glad it helped!

Clocking the motor is still on my list of "to do's". I just wasn't sure how it would interfere with the axle and steering linkages.

As mine sits now, spacing the steering servo up really helped out with the clearance between the axle and servo. I hate to mess that up, but getting the motor down lower would definitely help out the performance.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Hey B-MOW,
Do you happen to have any photos of how you installed the servo winch/ran the line?
I'm getting my Marling ready for class 1, I figure I can mount the servo winch where the shift servo would go but have no idea how to run the winch line to the front bumper.
Smonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #67
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smonkman View Post
Hey B-MOW,
Do you happen to have any photos of how you installed the servo winch/ran the line?
I'm getting my Marling ready for class 1, I figure I can mount the servo winch where the shift servo would go but have no idea how to run the winch line to the front bumper.
I haven't had a chance to install the servo winch yet. I do have the ESC for it mounted though. My plan is to mount the servo winch behind the transmission on the battery plate and use 3/16" brake line flared on each end. I'll run the brake line in and around the trans up to the fairlead.

Here is a pic of my SCX10.2 that I ran the winch line thru brake line. I'll do something like this on my Marlin. I used Traxxas rod ends with the balls removed slid over the brake line to use as mounting points.

Name:  IMG_0376 (2)(1).jpg
Views: 867
Size:  181.7 KB

Not sure how soon I'll get to mounting the servo winch, but when I do I'll post up pics.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Hey, thanks for all the information in this thread. Have been out of the hobby for several years and have missed it a lot. Almost bought back in last year and didn't. Got a good price on a Marlin last week and the games have begun, wife is less than pleased,lol. Hopefully it will be in the next couple days.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #69
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerj View Post
Hey, thanks for all the information in this thread. Have been out of the hobby for several years and have missed it a lot. Almost bought back in last year and didn't. Got a good price on a Marlin last week and the games have begun, wife is less than pleased,lol. Hopefully it will be in the next couple days.
Your welcome and I hope you find the some of the info useful.

Welcome back! It's a great time to be in the hobby. So many ways to spend money!

Congrats on the Marlin! They are a fun truck to wheel after it has been gone thru and fixed the issues it has out of the box. I tried to log all the issues I found on mine in this thread.

Looking forward to seeing yours!
Old 05-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Tons of good info in here!

How’s the Marlin been treating ya?

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:21 PM   #71
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Tons of good info in here!

How’s the Marlin been treating ya?

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
Hey thanks!

Sadly the Marlin has been parked in the garage all winter and hasn't seen any rock time this year...yet! The last time it was out it performed great! I've been thinking about swapping out the stock axles for a set of AR44 axles with the JEC leaf brackets. Well, that is the plan anyways. I may beat on it some more until I blow an axle out then do the swap.

Hopefully I'll get Marlin out soon and post some updates!
Old 05-11-2021, 05:12 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

I greatly appreciate all the tips and pointers in this thread as I just received (2 days EARLIER than Fed-Ex tracking had promised!) my Marlin.

I have all the A&M goodies except bumpers on the way, Incision driveshafts, some budget electronics, SS screw kit, etc.

I'm building mine up with a CCHand steel utility bed that I ordered from the discontinued (and heavily discounted, but still pricey) list of stuff over at RC4WD.

It'll be an interesting companion rig to my (still not finished!) C2X...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Totally forgot about this thread Brian! This is great. I'm done waiting on opening up my Marlin and this thread will be a good read for me.

BTW, I'm so glad Justin Fields landed on the Bears!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:40 PM   #74
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I greatly appreciate all the tips and pointers in this thread as I just received (2 days EARLIER than Fed-Ex tracking had promised!) my Marlin.

I have all the A&M goodies except bumpers on the way, Incision driveshafts, some budget electronics, SS screw kit, etc.

I'm building mine up with a CCHand steel utility bed that I ordered from the discontinued (and heavily discounted, but still pricey) list of stuff over at RC4WD.

It'll be an interesting companion rig to my (still not finished!) C2X...
Your welcome durok! Glad you found the info useful! I tried to list all of the problems that I found and come up with the best solutions for what I thought was the best way to make the Marlin a stronger and better rig.

Congrats on your new Marlin! Glad to hear Fed-Ex is on the ball and shipping items quickly!

Sounds like you have all the much needed goodies coming to make Marlin even better! It's gonna be a cool build and I can't wait to see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Totally forgot about this thread Brian! This is great. I'm done waiting on opening up my Marlin and this thread will be a good read for me.

BTW, I'm so glad Justin Fields landed on the Bears!
Hey soze! Thanks! Yeah glad to see this thread got pulled back out! I need to spend more time with Marlin. I miss driving it!

Man, get your Marlin unpacked and out on the rocks! Can't wait to see what she looks like out at CDM!

Yeah I'm gonna miss seeing Justin at the Horseshoe! He's one of the greats and should do well for the Bears!
Old 05-11-2021, 07:42 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Default B-MOW buys a TF2 Marlin Crawler

Quote:
Hey thanks!

Sadly the Marlin has been parked in the garage all winter and hasn't seen any rock time this year...yet! The last time it was out it performed great! I've been thinking about swapping out the stock axles for a set of AR44 axles with the JEC leaf brackets. Well, that is the plan anyways. I may beat on it some more until I blow an axle out then do the swap.

Hopefully I'll get Marlin out soon and post some updates!

Leafed AR44s would be neat.

Looking forward to seeing some updates!

I’m about to order a Marlin myself, so this thread has been very helpful. You actually swayed me into getting the Marlin over the TF2 Kit lol.

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
Old 05-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #76
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Leafed AR44s would be neat.

Looking forward to seeing some updates!

I’m about to order a Marlin myself, so this thread has been very helpful. You actually swayed me into getting the Marlin over the TF2 Kit lol.

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
The AR44's do look great under them and adds more strength to drivetrain.

Congrats on picking the Marlin! Just keep in mind it will take some work, but in the end it can be a fun and great rig to wheel! I do think it is a better option than the TF2 kit since a lot of the uprades already come with the Marlin.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The AR44's do look great under them and adds more strength to drivetrain.

Congrats on picking the Marlin! Just keep in mind it will take some work, but in the end it can be a fun and great rig to wheel! I do think it is a better option than the TF2 kit since a lot of the uprades already come with the Marlin.

Yep, that’s my reason for going with the Marlin. Set to be here the 17th, can’t wait for it!

My arrogant self wants to see how long I can last on stock components lmao.

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
Old 05-13-2021, 06:21 AM   #78
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Yep, that’s my reason for going with the Marlin. Set to be here the 17th, can’t wait for it!

My arrogant self wants to see how long I can last on stock components lmao.
Sweet! Can't wait to see it!

That's funny! I tell myself the same thing with every new rig! That never seems to last very long!
Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sweet! Can't wait to see it!

That's funny! I tell myself the same thing with every new rig! That never seems to last very long!

I probably won’t do a thread on it, there’s so many great ones already lol. But, It’ll be on my Instagram.

I’ll be it’ll only be a few runs before I start doing stuff to it!

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
Old 05-17-2021, 09:56 AM   #80
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
I probably won’t do a thread on it, there’s so many great ones already lol. But, It’ll be on my Instagram.

I’ll be it’ll only be a few runs before I start doing stuff to it!

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
I'll keep an eye out for it!

B-MOW buys a TF2 Marlin Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mike's RC4WD Marlin Crawler TF2 1BadJeepBruiser RC4WD Trail Finder 2 21 08-26-2019 02:06 PM
Tf2 kit or marlin crawler treadway47025 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 8 03-25-2018 01:04 PM