Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Chevy Luv. My baby truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Chevy Luv. My baby truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Incredible build...

Serious engineering chops at work!

Thank you. Still learning and doing a lot of research on suspension theory.

Natedog.

The transmission is a 5:1. It was the closest I could find to the r3 transmission. 20 something with the mounting brackets on eBay. Speed is about right on just a 2s pack.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

It’s time to start printing the new body. I have gotten all the mounting figured out with a few changes to the body.

A lot of body work has to be done on a few parts. There was only one way to really print it with out tossing out a lot of support material.

After 2 good coats of filler primer

I so hate body work. Lol. But I will wet sand all the primer down with my mini block sander.

I need to figure out hinges for the hood. The luv has a reverse hood.

The cab decided to lift from the print bed after 11 1/2 hours.
With a 40 hour print I wasn’t going to risk a major failure so I restarted it. Really sucks.

The next step is building the bumpers and the roll bar. I made this bumper a while back at work. It dosnt look all that bad. Does seem like the tubes are a bit small diameter wise

Free material so I can’t complain too much.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Chevy Luv. My baby truck

Thanks for the GRU info, thought it was 5:1, found it on the bay, great price and looks good from here! Oh yeah the hood should tilt forward, you're correct!

Front bumper looks pretty scale to me.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Paint and body work mostly done on the cab. The paint turned out decent. A semi gloss I was wanting. A lot smoother then I expected. Definitely not perfect but the real truck is far from perfect. Just needs some touch up and some weathering. I have some led on order for the head lights and marker lights. Waiting for some transparent filament to print them out with.

The hood hinges was actually fairly easy to create. Two mounts on the radiator support and a cross bar on the hood. it works just like the real thing. I used an old 1.5mm Allen wrench for the hood prop.

The front suspension is completed. After adding a few degrees of caster the steering everything seemed to work just right. Just barely any bumpsteer. I added brass sleeves in the arms and mounts to smooth everything out and add the longevity.

After smashing the hell out of the transfer case I bought one of those “smiley “ low profile mounts.

Problem is to use it I had to put the case back in the stock orientation. I really didn’t want to loose the slight overdrive from reversing it also the right side front output. So with a little work with the demel and a custom mount I was about to make it work

The lower mount is mostly there just to protect the case. It does support some of the weight of it but the case isn’t actually mounted to it. I am kinda proud of the upper mount. It is the first part I fully created in fusion 360. Everything else has been done in tinkercad.

I am looking for some off the shelf sliders. I want to find some that will sit low enough to protect the body but narrow enough that they are actually hidden under the body. The rc4wd ones all look like they will work but not sure what the width of them would be when mounted. I am looking for anything under 190mm wide when mounted.

Last edited by toka100; 08-26-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Talk to ScalerFab he will make it anyway you want it so you get everything you want.
Heck he has so many slider designs I bet you can give him measurements and one of his sliders will fit.
They are a great little company and super easy to work with!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Well the body and paint are done.

Only thing left is to finish wiring the taillights. For some reason i am have the hardest time soldering up the 3mm leds. I test them before I tin the leads they work fine. Test after tinning the lead they work fine. Solder the wires on and they are dead. I thought I was getting them too hot so I wrapped them in a damp cloth with no luck. Frustrating but that’s why I bought soo freaking many of them.

I haven’t decided yet if I want to paint on the rusty spots to really match the trucks.

Last edited by toka100; 09-06-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

That is just AWESOME! The ride height is perfect and the front suspension looks the part, for sure.

Excellent mini clone representation.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Well he it is finished and out and running. Tiny tires and a long wheelbase does not handle soft sand very well. It would just dig and dig until the rear axle would wrap up. Once I found some harder stuff it was fine. The lipo cutoff kicked in way to early so I only got maybe 15 minutes on the 2000mah pack. Best part is nothing broke or fell off. So I consider that a good run even it it was short.

Anyways here is a bit of video

Last edited by toka100; 09-13-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #49

Excellent work on both the body and suspension!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Heck of a job on that build.
4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Continuing with the printing I have started with the motor cover. This is the one part where I’m deviating. The actual plan with the real truck is a motor swap to a turbo charged 4 cylinder motor. If I mention what motor you all will laugh and call me crazy. . Since I have messing around more I’m with fusion 360 I have been able to make some really cool parts.

This is the basic shape. It is a bit small right now but that is being fixed

I have really wanted to try the iron infused pla. It is a plastic that acts like iron in every way. Except you can not magnetize it. It will rust and is attracted by magnets.

With an Aluminum head and block the only thing that would rust is the turbine housing and down pipe.

So.. before.

After.

That’s actually rust. I had to soak it in a bath of vinegar/hydrogen peroxide and salt for 24 hours. The results are crazy cool. Unfortunately this stuff is a bit expensive and temperamental compared to other materials that I use. $40 for 1/2 kg compared to $20 for 1kg. Other wise it would be cool to print an entire body out of it. Real rust instead of painted on rust.

A few other changes is I won 3 brand new power hd Lol-20mg off of eBay for $35. 20kg which is 270-280 something oz of torque. Now where near as loud as the their servo either.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Excellent results with this truck. I appreciate well done scale copies of real trucks that aren't disproportionate or really not to scale at all.

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #53

My dad had a bunch of those when i was a kid. always loved the look of these of luvs. any thought of selling or sharing the body files?
Sharky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

I can share the files that I actually created. The main parts of the body is from scale3drc.com. I did make quite a few changes to their files for my personal reasons and goal. Mainly the radiator support and body mounts.

I have added the front suspension onto thingverse.com along with a few other of my earlier designs. With winter coming I will most likely be working more on the interior and detailing.

Thank you to everyone that has been watching and giving me words of inspiration with this build so far.

Also I just reread everything and noticed how many times auto correct has changed words in my posts. Sorry about that. I thought I caught all of them after each post but there is still a lot. Lol.

Last edited by toka100; 11-12-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

thats the shiFt man 1 bad Mass truck you got there
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote

Chevy Luv. My baby truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1979 Chevy LUV Blazerbogger 1.5 Scale Rigs 23 11-10-2014 07:17 AM
Sweet Chevy Luv Hydro-Tank Chit Chat 7 09-19-2012 09:16 AM
Baby bro left truck in rain for a day LoGaN14 Redcat Crawlers 7 04-17-2012 10:18 PM
Driving My LUV bodean Scale Videos! 4 02-03-2011 06:15 PM