RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/)
-   -   RC4WD Underdrive/overdrive transfer case (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/610244-rc4wd-underdrive-overdrive-transfer-case.html)

radchad 07-14-2019 09:29 AM

RC4WD Underdrive/overdrive transfer case

Is anyone out there running the U/O transfer case? Not the transfer case mod but the actual transfer case with U/O? I am currently running the AM garage skid/transfer with the stock transfer case and it works well. I have been curious of running OD but have not been able to get the mod to work, to much binding and my electronics and motor and running really hot like 190-200degrees plus the binding makes the truck run jerky., I am pretty sure it will not work with the AM garage skid and transfer case flip.

Just curious what folks experience with the U/O transfer case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natedog 07-31-2019 11:10 AM

Re: RC4WD Underdrive/overdrive transfer case

Quote:

Originally Posted by radchad (Post 5950068)
Is anyone out there running the U/O transfer case? Not the transfer case mod but the actual transfer case with U/O? I am currently running the AM garage skid/transfer with the stock transfer case and it works well. I have been curious of running OD but have not been able to get the mod to work, to much binding and my electronics and motor and running really hot like 190-200degrees plus the binding makes the truck run jerky., I am pretty sure it will not work with the AM garage skid and transfer case flip.

Just curious what folks experience with the U/O transfer case?

Just ordered it, I'll let you know what I think when it arrives!
https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-OverUn...se_p_7141.html

swapping around the stock Hammer tcase to OD the front axle is waaaay too much overdrive imo and will bind badly and could cause problems like you're having as well as premature axle, transmission, tcase failures.

radchad 08-31-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5953648)
Just ordered it, I'll let you know what I think when it arrives!
https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-OverUn...se_p_7141.html

swapping around the stock Hammer tcase to OD the front axle is waaaay too much overdrive imo and will bind badly and could cause problems like you're having as well as premature axle, transmission, tcase failures.

I bought one as well and it it pretty freaking good. I swapped out the AM skid for a bowhaus high clearance skid and it is working super well, just clocked the motor too and man, my tf2 is a shredder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbungard 09-05-2019 11:55 AM

Best mod yet

ebbet 12-26-2019 10:08 AM

Any additional comments on this? Which gearing options are you using? How much front overdrive is too much?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Soundboi 01-13-2020 04:28 AM

Yip been running the OE overdrive tranny in my marlin a few months on 24% and it seems to hold up well, I have to say this is not a trail rig and I almost only comp with it. I do not think it will cope with 24% on the trails but 6% or 12% yes absolutely.

Natedog 01-24-2020 06:33 PM

I'd recommend about 10-12% more than that affects longevity of parts and does not drive 'naturally' so to speak. :)

diggerj 03-07-2021 05:26 PM

Thanks much for the info on this. Was looking into getting this t-case but wasn't sure, this little thread cleared up all my questions. Thanks again"thumbsup"

IronOKie 09-06-2021 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundboi (Post 5990153)
Yip been running the OE overdrive tranny in my marlin a few months on 24% and it seems to hold up well, I have to say this is not a trail rig and I almost only comp with it. I do not think it will cope with 24% on the trails but 6% or 12% yes absolutely.

Looking at this on RC4WD's listing for this t-case, I don't see a combo for anything less than 27% OD. I think that's a bit much for a non-comp committed rig.

I like to run somewhere between 18 and 20%. Do I understand your post correctly that there are other gearing options (besides the ones RC4WD lists) that can be used with this transfer case to get you less than 20% OD?

Soundboi 09-06-2021 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronOKie (Post 6092246)
Looking at this on RC4WD's listing for this t-case, I don't see a combo for anything less than 27% OD. I think that's a bit much for a non-comp committed rig.

I like to run somewhere between 18 and 20%. Do I understand your post correctly that there are other gearing options (besides the ones RC4WD lists) that can be used with this transfer case to get you less than 20% OD?

I found that if you take the most aggressive gearset but install them the wrong way around then you end up with underdrive in the rear of about 12%. Thats a nice sweet spot.

IronOKie 09-06-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundboi (Post 6092249)
I found that if you take the most aggressive gearset but install them the wrong way around then you end up with underdrive in the rear of about 12%. Thats a nice sweet spot.

Nice! That might be the way to go then. Either that or an axle swap, one of the two.

Thank You!

diggerj 09-06-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundboi (Post 6092249)

Thanks for this information, very helpful!

Soundboi 09-06-2021 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronOKie (Post 6092274)
Nice! That might be the way to go then. Either that or an axle swap, one of the two.

Thank You!

Dude, absolutely do the a,le swap. Best upgrade ever.
Check out JEC Racing's website if you want to keep on leafs he makes hangers for SCX10II and Vanquish axles.

Soundboi 09-06-2021 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronOKie (Post 6092274)

Thank You!

Dude, absolutely do the axle swap. Best upgrade ever.
Check out JEC Racing's website if you want to keep on leafs he makes hangers for SCX10II and Vanquish axles.