Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Natedog's Trail Findering TF2 Tiny Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Natedog's Trail Findering TF2 Tiny Truck

Whoa, hey, what the??? I've always loved the Toyotas since I was a youngun staring in the hobby shop window at the first Tamiyas. Couple years ago I put a TF2 kit on backorder, but after a month I got tired of waiting and cancelled the order. Rockhugger and I were talking about how to best fit one of these on an Ascender chassis, really love the leaf springs at all four corners and the classic Yota pickup lines. Having owned a 1981 double cased shortbed, I love the detail of the TF2! Thanks for the push! Also spoke with David (New2rocks) and picked up inspiration there too, thanks!

Sweet box shot.

Tear down, re-grease and shimming axles. One Kyosho 8mm 0.1mm steel shim between gear side of spool and bearing felt pretty good.

Last edited by Natedog; 06-09-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Natedog's Trail Findering TF2 Tiny Truck

All right, then...settled in to watch where this goes.

Hope your axle halves fit together.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #3

I'm surprised to see you pick up one of these. Anxious to see what you do with it!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
All right, then...settled in to watch where this goes.

Hope your axle halves fit together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm surprised to see you pick up one of these. Anxious to see what you do with it!

Thanks, the rear fits ok front is up next, hopefully all goes well.

Ordered the A&M Garage Trail finder 2 TF2 - High Clearance Flat Skid and Transfercase Mount, looks stout and nicely designed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-M-Garage-...72.m2749.l2649
A&M Garage
Ordered front spring shackle reversal kit from his website directly, but googly makes it hard to find, wants everyone to go to bookface instead.
Here's Bert's own website!
https://aandmgarage.com/

Bought spare set of TRX-4 driveshafts, so that will go in for now, looking at Junfac steel driveshafts for more scale, but anxious to see the new VP shafts before deciding, they have splines instead of a "D" shaped slipjoint which theoretically should slide better and it's more scale appropriate when the suspension cycles and a little bit of splines show.

I like the red, although my truck was originally tan, then Caterpillar yellow and finally settled on desert tan. I'll back the red plastic with flat black so that light doesn't shine through, interior will probably be the kinda medium brown/tan that mine had. Need to make some inner fenders out of plastic containers. The simplicity of the single speed and RTR on 3S with Protek 3600mah 3s LIHV battery and stock 45 sealed can motor, ordered another Hobbywing WP1080, will rock the stock steering servo for now, don't want and shouldn't need super power servo in this truck. Was going to go for the Marlin edition, but it's out of stock almost everywhere and I want to keep this kinda like a mildly modified trail truck, might not bob the bed and/or trim under the bed at rear. Going to take this one step at a time to see all the changes, kinda like I built my 1:1, but that was more due to time and money, took several years to get it all built up.

Thinking about a black single tube Smittybuilt rollbar like my truck had.

Front crossmember on the RTR is plastic, so I'm hunting for an aluminum replacement. Looked through my Axial and Ascender aluminum links and found one that I could cut down to fit, but it needs cut outs on both sides for the spring shackles to move and that wouldn't leave enough material in the member. I've got some bar stock that might work out though.

Leaving stock body mounted bumper for now, so I'm going with the straight across (no drop) mount. Looking for aluminum rear crossmember too. Rear bumper is nice, but the body hits the mounts and kinda pushes it downward instead of allowing it to sit squarely as it should. Thought about notching the body, but it's awfully nice to do that and I might not keep this rear bumper later, may let it ride for now.

Love the white spoke wheels, not sure about the 1.55 Mud Thrashers, but going to give them a try. Want to stay 1.55 or maybe 1.7, will probably get a second set of the stamped steel white spokes and am shopping for slightly larger tires that look and work well.

Edit: Picture of fully modded 1:1, I'm going for my previous setup of 33x12.50x15 BFG All-Terrains with lightly trimmed shortbed. I had two sets of doors (full doors and half doors that I made) swapped out dependent on weather.

Last edited by Natedog; 06-28-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Good for you natedog. Always exciting gettimg a new truck. Can't wait to see where this build goes as well. Have to agree getting rid of the stock driveshafts. I never did run my stock driveshafts on the trails, but during the road tests working out the bugs the stock driveshafts always came apart and upgraded to the punisher shafts that one of the guys at my lhs swore buy. Good luck on your build.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Edit: Picture of fully modded 1:1, I'm going for my previous setup of 33x12.50x15 BFG All-Terrains with lightly trimmed shortbed. I had two sets of doors (full doors and half doors that I made) swapped out dependent on weather.
That's definitely something that can be replicated!

Seeing that photo reminds me that I really wish Proline would make 1.55 TSL Super Swampers.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Good for you natedog. Always exciting gettimg a new truck. Can't wait to see where this build goes as well. Have to agree getting rid of the stock driveshafts. I never did run my stock driveshafts on the trails, but during the road tests working out the bugs the stock driveshafts always came apart and upgraded to the punisher shafts that one of the guys at my lhs swore buy. Good luck on your build.
Thanks, yes it is, I'm still giggly every time I look at it. After much research and then looking at the driveshafts, they probably wouldn't make it past the driveway crawl test. I bought a set of TRX-4 driveshafts for use at the moment (they've been bullet proof in that truck), couldn't pass on the price for a new set of take offs. The Incision shafts for SCX10ii looks great, need to find out how much splines is actually on female and male halves to see if they can be cut down and still retain strength and functionality.
Incision Driveshafts for SCX10-2 RTR & SCX10 - Vanquish Products

Incision Driveshaft Set for 12.3" WB SCX10 and SCX10-2 RTR Platforms

Universal Joint Style
Hardened Steel Construction
Splined Engagement
4mm Set Pins included to attach to pinion and transmission
Splines are timed to allow for driveshafts to be installed in phase
Compatible with Standard 3 gear transmission
Scale Joint and Spline diameter size for realistic appearance
Front Compressed Length:3.450"
Front Extended Length: 4.650" (Leaves 0.500" spline engagement, recommended not to exceed this length)
Rear Compressed Length: 3.80"
Rear Extended Length: 5.00" (Leaves 0.500" spline engagement, recommended not to exceed this length)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's definitely something that can be replicated!

Seeing that photo reminds me that I really wish Proline would make 1.55 TSL Super Swampers.
Yes, may try my hand with more styrene work to do that bed later. Need to do a flat black wash on the body to get door/hood shut lines, space between cab/bed, and little air intakes below the windshield.
Yes, Interco TSL/SXs, that would be nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch racing View Post
In for another Natedog build. I dig your build style.
Thanks!

Got both axles done, each axle had only one thick shim/washer outside of the pinions (RC4WD guide to TF2 said thick outside and thin inside and to swap them around), so I put the washer/shim inside under the pinion gears and this feels pretty good when it's all bolted up. Rear axle used on Kyosho 0.1mm shim (KYO9644) behind ring gear to tighten mesh, front axle used same shim but on opposite side to push ring gear away from the pinion, fresh synthetic black moly disk brake wheel bearing grease and loctite blue used. Wheels hexes are a little too thick and the flanged hex nuts don't quite tighten flush with the axle ends, therefore the nylock is not really holding well. Ascender hexes are thinner but won't work because the screwpin that goes through them is too far away from the backside of the hex. These need a standard hex, thinking Slash rear plastic hexes (TRA1564) might be just right and they snap on to the axle pins so that the pins dont' fall out every time a wheel is removed. I tried some Slash front hexes but they are too thick.
https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Sl...-Rear-Assembly

Flipped the axle to leaf spring screws so that the buttonheads are down and locknuts on top of leaves, Loctited the screws to hold the axle halves together and tightened. Gently snugged the locknuts down completely against the leaves, then backed them off 1/4 turn to free it up a little. Ideally they should be tight enough to hold it all together, but allow slight twisting at the spring perch centers for maximum flex and free suspension movement. Rear spring shackle hangers definitely need moved rearward, because the shackles over center and can get stuck on compression. Could make my own mounts, but Bowhouse-RC makes some sweet nylon ones, ordered! As noted by others, the stock hardware is kinda soft, so I'm replacing screws as I go through everything with some nice black oxide screws from McMaster-Carr.
https://bowhouserc.com/
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/bowhouse-rc
https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...0030S&CartID=1

Front spring shackles hit the lower valance on compression, probably going to cut off bottom 1/4" or so. If I cut this off, how's the best way to re-attach the grill to the front fenders?

Dug through my aluminum bar stock and didn't find anything for the front frame crossmember, gotta stop by the store. May run without it for now.

Last edited by Natedog; 06-28-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'm also surprised to see you Building an RC4WD, this should be interesting!

One thing thats always made me wonder about RC4WD is why they offer a heap of dress up mods but very little in the way of performance mods for their own rigs, and on the flip side they make tons of performance mods for other brands. Anyway that shouldn't be a problem for you since you're a hardcore tinkerer.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Oh... This is gonna be AWESOME.

ASCENDERS ASSEM- uhhh...
TRAIL FINDERS... FIND!!!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

don't cut the front of the body under the grill, get a shackle reverse kit from A&M garage
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I'm also surprised to see you Building an RC4WD, this should be interesting!

One thing thats always made me wonder about RC4WD is why they offer a heap of dress up mods but very little in the way of performance mods for their own rigs, and on the flip side they make tons of performance mods for other brands. Anyway that shouldn't be a problem for you since you're a hardcore tinkerer.
Thanks, partly your fault showing up for Pro-Line by the Fire with your sweet GCM CMax chassis with hardbody Land Crusher. I mean that in a good way. That’s interesting about Rc4wd, hadn’t really thought about it until now, but you’re correct.

Yes gonna take some tinkering to get this one dialed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Oh... This is gonna be AWESOME.

ASCENDERS ASSEM- uhhh...
TRAIL FINDERS... FIND!!!
Thanks and another great RC rally cry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
don't cut the front of the body under the grill, get a shackle reverse kit from A&M garage
Think it’s a little too limiting to leave the lower valance. Looks and performance wise I’ll probably cut the bottom 3/8” off for now, maybe up to just below the grill later, that’s how my 1:1 was. Might do the A&M Garage front shackles reversal later, but want to take it in steps to measure performance gains and because that’s how my 1:1 was built. They do look like great product and I’m waiting for their skid plate setup that I ordered.
https://aandmgarage.com/

Edit, that’s also one reason I went with this version instead of Marlin, I want to keep it looking a bit more modified stockish.

Last edited by Natedog; 06-28-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

If and when you do the incision drivelines I'd love to hear a feedback back on it. I almost pulled the trigger on them myself but got impatient and went with the Punisher shafts was a last-minute thing get the truck rolling for the weekend outing.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Going to be following along on your journey Nate. Thinkin I may learn something along the way...
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

yeah darned casey and his inspirational CMAX haha nate i am also a victim. more on a new thread soonish... ;)

cant wait to see how this goes. with your mechanical savvy and a scale looking Toyota... this is seriously going to be awesome!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

In for the end result.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Very cool! You are giving me the fever Nate! I will be tuning in for this build. I love the pic of your 1.1. Would it be possible for you to post more pics of the 1.1? Oh........... REMOVE that lower valance
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I'll just uh, leave this here... ;)
https://store.rc4wd.com/Rear-Tube-Be...ck_p_5241.html
Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

This is the price for entering the super scale realm of tf2 and hilux...
Also this place has some neat nicknacks for scratch building leaf mounts, making u bolt brackets and real looking rod ends...
Solid link rod, Rc Channel - The Worlds of Rc Car Parts
Old 06-11-2018, 02:18 AM   #19
RCC Addict

.... I found you!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Ahh the memories buddy!!!

Quote:
NO!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touch racing View Post
Ok that is a sweet looking tube bed but good lord you can almost buy a hole ascender kit for the price of it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Precisely, especially when you have a friend who has a little torch for such an occasion. I will personally see to it that the bed is built by Nate. There will be brazing in your future Natedog.

Quote:
This is the price for entering the super scale realm of tf2 and hilux... NOOOOO!!!!!!!
Also this place has some neat nicknacks for scratch building leaf mounts, making u bolt brackets and real looking rod ends...
Solid link rod, Rc Channel - The Worlds of Rc Car Parts
mmmmm scratch built. I like the sound of those words.

Truck Looks good dog, This thread needs more scratch built. and not scratching your baws while dis/re assembling it.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #20

Quote:
I knew I had seen his 1:1 bed in RC size. CCHand is soooo expensive though.

Natedog's Trail Findering TF2 Tiny Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chino63's F-150 a tiny tire tiny truck story. chino63 1.5 Scale Rigs 76 07-11-2018 03:17 PM
New2Ascender - big tiny truck built by little little hands new2rocks Vaterra Ascender 72 04-06-2018 09:01 AM
Gelande 2 FJ40 at Smiggin's Folly Tiny Truck Park for Trucks and Dolls pardonmyn00b Scale Videos! 1 03-16-2015 08:55 PM
TF2/Axial Trail truck?? Which to buy?? jim_w RC4WD Trail Finder 2 25 02-22-2013 10:47 PM