Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Special Edition Blazer T-case clearance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Special Edition Blazer T-case clearance

Well, I did it!

She’s centred! What a pain!

For those interested..... I just re-drilled holes in the leafs. Went through half a dozen bits. That’s hard metal and I didn’t learn what side to drill till the end. Drilling the inside of the leafs doesn’t work efficiently (bits edge starts bending). Drilling the outside (into the U-shape, not from inside out) works better.

I used the extra 3rd leaf, previously removed; as the guide to drill an extra hole.

As low as my tf2 sits (lower than stock), I’m able to fit a larger tire.

PBX A/T 4.05

Just a slight rub at full compression with sharp turns. Not as scale., but when you run with gents with linked / XL 1.9 trucks ...., helps a little!
lkvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Nicely done!

I have one screw through my leafs to the axle to help keep the axle in place with the u-bolts. I might try adjusting the rear your way.

This past weekend, I was running Proline's 4.19" KM3s, and noticed a little rub on tight turns, but I'm sure I'm sitting a little higher than you, though.

Are you running stock foams in the Rock Beasts? I'm curious as to how they handle the weight of the LE.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Default Special Edition Blazer T-case clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
Nicely done!

I have one screw through my leafs to the axle to help keep the axle in place with the u-bolts. I might try adjusting the rear your way.

This past weekend, I was running Proline's 4.19" KM3s, and noticed a little rub on tight turns, but I'm sure I'm sitting a little higher than you, though.

Are you running stock foams in the Rock Beasts? I'm curious as to how they handle the weight of the LE.

4.19” would be nice, really help the leaf’d clearance!

Rock Beasts may have another pair of oem foam.., nothing fancy but I think I bought the RB’s used with the soft ci foams (way too soft). I may have added an extra layer of foam to the ci’s. I love me 1.55 RB’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Tera-flex question..... New thought, let me know if it’s been done....

Since the Tera flex allows so much flex (too much to look decent imo). What if one would put the axles on top of the leafs, with Tera flex installed? Wondered if you get the added flex with out ridiculous tire droop?

Worth while trial?

Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, thanks for the leaf spring drilling technique information, much better with rear wheels centered! In the videos I noticed that your grill could use a flat black wash for the rectangular 'holes', interior came out nice. Understand the 1.9s to keep up with crawling buddies, but love the 1.55s!

I'd pass on the Tera-Flex shackles altogether, but somebody here has run spring under, you'll sit lower at ride height but have all the flex unless the axle housing hits on frame or something. Shocks mounts will need re-worked too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
In the videos I noticed that your grill could use a flat black wash for the rectangular 'holes', interior came out nice.

Definitely..., don’t have a very good technique on paints/ washes. Guess more YouTube’s vids are in order. I have little patience for paint and drying times

IMO 1.55s definitely looks a whole lot better as well

Old 09-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

New tires!!!

Rc4wd super swamper 1.55 ss Interco (1 million over names / letters)

Haven’t tried them much but have good traction for a sub 4” 1.55 tire.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Default Special Edition Blazer T-case clearance

Anyone have issue with turning radius? I’m hitting the front shock, as the Ltd has a set infront and behind axles on the front. This normal?.., marlin has such breast steering in comparison!
There a upgrade to steering knuckle? Does the knuckle mod increase turning or just rid some of the slop? Thanks

Last edited by lkvisser; 10-27-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

My Marlin I have to set endpoints on my steering since my tires hit the Leafs when turned so sounds like just a lazy design on that part same with the blazer I guess. Not sure how anyone utilizes XVDs unless they have different wheels with a big offset to them.

Knuckle mod just gets rid of the slop. Gotta be careful with Yota 2 axles doing the mod since the knuckle has less material than the yota 1 knuckle and the large hole you make for the bearing could cause a crack on the knuckle with some run time. Looks like most of the failures were from people not setting endpoints after doing the mod though.
Toyotarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotarc View Post
My Marlin I have to set endpoints on my steering since my tires hit the Leafs when turned so sounds like just a lazy design on that part same with the blazer I guess. Not sure how anyone utilizes XVDs unless they have different wheels with a big offset to them.

Knuckle mod just gets rid of the slop. Gotta be careful with Yota 2 axles doing the mod since the knuckle has less material than the yota 1 knuckle and the large hole you make for the bearing could cause a crack on the knuckle with some run time. Looks like most of the failures were from people not setting endpoints after doing the mod though.

Appreciate your input! I think the original yota axles are just that bad..., wonder if the k44 axles supply any better turning ?

Old 10-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkvisser View Post
Appreciate your input! I think the original yota axles are just that bad..., wonder if the k44 axles supply any better turning ?

I swapped out the Yota I's for the K44's scale cast axles, and I don't see any issues with rubbing on the shocks or leafs, even with 4.19" tires. I can't seem to find a steering angle spec on the K44's. However, the K5 Ltd Ed's supposedly come with the XVD upgrade for the Yota I's: 36.5 degrees vs. 32 degrees stock. The XVD upgrade for the K44's allows up to 50 degrees. I would think the stock K44's has about 40~45 degree steering angle, then.

Is it under compression when you rub the shock?

Annnd... I just remembered I'm running the A&M Garage shackle reversal kit, which may or may not have any effect. YMMV
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=Ironhide13;5973721

Is it under compression when you rub the shock?

Annnd... I just remembered I'm running the A&M Garage shackle reversal kit, which may or may not have any effect. YMMV[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on how high my steering is set on my radio.., when not powered on I can take the wheel turn it either way and the steering knuckle (believe it’s called), seems to hit the bottom of the shock knuckle. It either hits or it’s that close when at maximum turn that I can hardly tell. Think I’m just all of a sudden concerned after playing with the marlin for a week..., turning radius is way tighter!
I have the rc4wd shackle reversal kit that I nodded...
Thanks for the help

Special Edition Blazer T-case clearance - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VS4-10 special edition noname0383 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 45 08-25-2020 11:34 AM
New Special Edition monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 0 02-08-2013 07:32 PM
A-Tech MM special edition??? crawlerkid Chit Chat 3 11-20-2005 02:28 AM
special edition scorpion skrewdriver General Crawlers 1 11-01-2005 08:54 PM