RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/)
-   -   RC4WD Hammer transfer case failure. (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/610634-rc4wd-hammer-transfer-case-failure.html)

mthomson 07-31-2019 08:03 AM

RC4WD Hammer transfer case failure.

Have any of you guys had problems with the Hammer transfer case?

I was doing some light crawling with my stock TF2 and all of a sudden no more output from the Hammer. Input shaft spins freely, but no output.

I haven't opened it up yet, and was wondering what to expect.

thanks....mark

Natedog 07-31-2019 11:08 AM

Re: RC4WD Hammer transfer case failure.

I have not, but I completely tore down and rebuilt my TF2 RTR before driving it....ok well I did drive it around the yard and giggle like a little kid. :ror:

Gears are machined on the shafts, so I'd just buy a new complete case to swap out (but go through it before installation), use the old one for parts if needed. The bearings are only metal shielded not rubber sealed, but I'll replace them later, added one drop good oil to each stock bearing on mine as well as clean, regrease with good grease, replaced all the butter soft stock screws. :)

mthomson 08-01-2019 08:53 AM

It turns out that the set screw for the transmission shaft decided to go awol. I've got stainless ones and loctite on the way.

Natedog 10-21-2019 12:25 PM

Thanks for update, easy fix at least, but don't use SS fasteners because they are weaker and the drive head is more easily rounded out ime...drilled out too many stainless fasteners that failed. Tried many brands and meh. :ror: Definitely use Loctite though. :)

Panther6834 10-21-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5971815)
Thanks for update, easy fix at least, but don't use SS fasteners because they are weaker and the drive head is more easily rounded out ime...drilled out too many stainless fasteners that failed. Tried many brands and meh. :ror: Definitely use Loctite though. :)

I'm new to crawlers, so this is bound to sounds like a stupid question...but, here goes. If not SS, then what???

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

durok 10-21-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther6834 (Post 5971895)
I'm new to crackers, so this is bound to sounds like a stupid question...but, here goes. If not SS, then what???

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I use black oxide coated steel hardware except for the occasional low-stress areas.

(...crackers?)

Panther6834 10-21-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5971921)

(...crackers?)

My phone had a typo problem...since been corrected...lol

Natedog 11-07-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther6834 (Post 5971895)
I'm new to crawlers, so this is bound to sounds like a stupid question...but, here goes. If not SS, then what???

SS = Stainless steel. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5971921)
I use black oxide coated steel hardware....

"thumbsup"