Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Levi' s tf2 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Levi' s tf2 build

I'm excited to build this tr2 even though it's taking me months to build the chassis and get the body finally painted. The chassis is still stock but my goal is to have this truck completely built and running with most of my upgrades.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Levi' s tf2 build

A little more progress on my truck. Got the grill painted and the bed coated with bed liner. Starting to look better. Waiting till next time to work on it again.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Finally got a chance today to work on my build. Waiting for some of the glue to dry on a few parts. Ordered some upgrade parts from my lbs and deciding when to put them on before or after. Picked up theses clothes hanger pins and small clamps to help hold parts together the glue dries.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nice color choice.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:27 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Been able to have a little time to work on my build. Have some of the interior pieces painted ready to put in a few days but I don't think I'm going to put a full-blown interior in, well maybe we'll see. I was able to get my new bumpers put on that was exciting

Old 12-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

It's been a while since I've done anything to my tf. Then last while i have managed to install new bumpers, shocks, shackles, z boxes, and fenders.

Still want to install a winch, rollbar, metal sliders, tool box, different wheels and tires. Still needing electronics. The goal is to have something picked out for a esc and motor. Still deciding on brushless or brushed.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy1 View Post
Looks good.
Tryed ordering the shackles today. Yeh, my luck, only one set left.
Thanks. I had a hard time finding the the shackles and z boxes too. A bit nervous to see how it all performs when its up and running. I know I should of build the truck stock and see how it drives than upgrade accordingly. Being my first build I threw all that common sense out the door and decided on going crazy.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Look what I found under the xmas tree. Santa came a little late to my house this year. Thought I would try the brushless combo setup and get it dailed in first. Than run it for awhile. Get a feel for a crawler setup and enjoy the work I put into it. Than later swap out the cc motor and install the holmes hobbies torque master series and see how it handles and get a feel for a brushes motor.

I wanted the crawl master 16t but the lhs didn't have it in stock. So I decided to go with the torque master instead. If I feel the need for a different brushes motor I'll have to look for the crawlmaster 16t somewhere.

Next on the list is two new servos. Just need to decide on what for sure. Appreciate the advice on the esc/motors lately I've been getting. Can't wait to see this build actually run one day.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Nice build! Pls let us know how you like the brushless setup. Thank you for sharing the bed liner. I hadn’t thought of doing that before, but will probably use it on my build now, lol! I used a Traxxas 2055 servo for the shifter; it works well, I had one laying around, and they’re inexpensive / reliable. I’m using a Power HD 20 kg servo for the steering. It does the job and is only $25 shipped. I may eventually replace it with a HH SHV500v2; really like the direct connection to a 3s LIPO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:49 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Diggin where you're going with this...
Curious myself on the shackles... Wondered if they were worth the coin, if all I'm doing is "playing" in the back 180.
Also picket up the same paint for Marlin. See it worked out fine, good to know.
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys. One day I'll be able to post how the brushless runs, lol. The bed liner seems to be sticking great dispite the teucks not on the trail. I think the bed liner will work out great. Lately I've been eyeing out a transmitter/radio that I'll like. I've got some in mind and still checking out details on them.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

It's always exciting when you get new rc parts delivered. I had a hard time finding the roll bar and metal sliders locally so I had to resort to online with rc4wd. The parts had a long travel, all the way from Hong Kong to the U.S., so they are very tired, lol. I'm so excited to get this project done one day.

I got a feeling the best thing would of done is to build the truck stock, drive and than make upgrades, but i couldn't help myself and wanted the total package. You know like looking for the perfect woman out there, lol.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Thanks. I had a hard time finding the the shackles and z boxes too. A bit nervous to see how it all performs when its up and running. I know I should of build the truck stock and see how it drives than upgrade accordingly. Being my first build I threw all that common sense out the door and decided on going crazy.
Do not be afraid of the shackles, they are a very well built part and worth every penny. If you are looking for a truly performing part that will augment the flexing ability of your truck while still retaining that scale look and feel of leafsprings... Then you have bought the right part. Those SuperRides look to be 80mm, right? If so, that is exactly the same shock that the Marlin comes equipped with, and I have mine with both the Revolver Shackles and the Z-boxes and I can tell you that the difference in flex was day and night.
Now, keep in mind that if you want your build more towards scale looks and performance, you will be separating yourself from that by adding this parts as they are more intended for trail/rock-ability than scale looks (at least that is my take on it).
Regarding your build... Man, I'm really digging that color and the overall neatness of your build. Those bumpers look so sweet on it and the bedliner paint... Damn, really nice build. I looking forward to the interior and scale accessories. Keep it up, cause when you get the chance to put it through its paces, that's when all the gratification will be felt. Enjoy the build.
1SLWMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SLWMoFo View Post
Do not be afraid of the shackles, they are a very well built part and worth every penny. If you are looking for a truly performing part that will augment the flexing ability of your truck while still retaining that scale look and feel of leafsprings... Then you have bought the right part. Those SuperRides look to be 80mm, right? If so, that is exactly the same shock that the Marlin comes equipped with, and I have mine with both the Revolver Shackles and the Z-boxes and I can tell you that the difference in flex was day and night.
Now, keep in mind that if you want your build more towards scale looks and performance, you will be separating yourself from that by adding this parts as they are more intended for trail/rock-ability than scale looks (at least that is my take on it).
Regarding your build... Man, I'm really digging that color and the overall neatness of your build. Those bumpers look so sweet on it and the bedliner paint... Damn, really nice build. I looking forward to the interior and scale accessories. Keep it up, cause when you get the chance to put it through its paces, that's when all the gratification will be felt. Enjoy the build.
Thanks for the kind words there and advise. I've upgraded other trucks of mind but like I said this is my first kit I've ever done and I kind of went crazy with it. Yes those are the steel Marlin crawler Rock sliders that are supposed to fit the Trail Finder. There are still a few more goodies I want to add along the way like either Punisher shafts or something else I can find that will fit it that's in good quality durability also want to add lights, winch and some skill accessories to it and maybe a spare tire to.

I know that the truck will be a different world trying to drive it from what I've gathered I've had a few people tell me that have random with them side-by-side. For me personally the only thing I have to compare it to his my TRX 4 so I'm anxious to put them side-by-side to get a feel for him both
Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Order new parts, install new parts, done, well mostly, lol. So I managed to get done is mount the marlin crawler metal rock sliders and install the roll bar. Imo looks much better, now just to find a way to mount some lights to the top of the roll bar.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

It's a nice quite day, dispite having a really rough last week. So it was a good day to sit down and do a little work on the tf. Temporarily installed my new 1.9 hyrax tires and did a test fit. Looks way different with bigger tires.

With bigger tires on this project it does have some tire rub on the front part of the body right behind there front bumper and also on the rear fenders.

Maybe with some body/suspension adjustment might fix the problem. If not i got my dremal to do some body hacking.

Some before and after pictures. With the new tires I gained about 1/4" more clearance. But I also know more clearance isn't always better.

What ya guys think? To much tire for the look?

Old 03-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Found this gift card tool box holder at Lowe's today. Actually fits pretty nice, and not to far off of scale, imo. If I end up keeping it and using it I'll paint it black to match the bumpers and other stuff.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Looks good! I wish I could muster the patience to build a TF2, because I love watching them in YouTube videos, particularly when there's no music, and I can hear the growl of that low gearing. I attempted a Gelande II D90 build, two years ago, but never finished, mostly because of the tedious work required to prep, paint, and assemble the body kit. I also lack an affinity for leaf springs, since I never owned a 1:1 pickup truck in my life.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Looks good! I wish I could muster the patience to build a TF2, because I love watching them in YouTube videos, particularly when there's no music, and I can hear the growl of that low gearing. I attempted a Gelande II D90 build, two years ago, but never finished, mostly because of the tedious work required to prep, paint, and assemble the body kit. I also lack an affinity for leaf springs, since I never owned a 1:1 pickup truck in my life.
Thanks. I'm with you on this tf stuff, it's a lot of work. I've spent alot of money and time on this. Too bad you didn't finish your kit. Would i do another tf kit, maybe. Depending on how I feel about this one when it starts running one day.

I ordered more stuff and await my next delivery. Still a few more things I want to do before running it. But this project might get a hold out on it with a bunch of medical bills pulling up.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Thanks. I'm with you on this tf stuff, it's a lot of work. I've spent alot of money and time on this. Too bad you didn't finish your kit. Would i do another tf kit, maybe. Depending on how I feel about this one when it starts running one day.

I ordered more stuff and await my next delivery. Still a few more things I want to do before running it. But this project might get a hold out on it with a bunch of medical bills pulling up.
Oh, man. I can relate to the piling of med bills. We incurred a huge load from having child #3 last year, all the while my wife was diabetic. Weekly Dr visits....

I've had thoughts of finishing the D90 build, because I still have it, and it would be cool in the end. If anything, it'll be easier to sell as a completed kit than a half-finished one. That is, if I still don't like it, afterwards. Here's the thread for it: Johnnyluv's Gelände II D90 "future" build [placeholder]
I'm currently trying to downsize my collection, so maybe when it's more manageable, I'll find it easier to stay focused on one particular project.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote