Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Upgrade Parts Info Needed...building my second crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2019, 05:45 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Upgrade Parts Info Needed...building my second crawler

Ok, I'm going to admit, right here & now, that I'm probably going to be opening a pretty good-sized bucket of worms here. While plenty of those who read this will have personal hands-on experience with more than one "version" of each "type", there will also be those who just want to reply with their "personal preferences", even though they might not have tried other options. To the first group, I will thank you, in advance, for any assistance you might be able to provide through your replies. To the second group, I'd like to ask that you try to refrain from any "personal bias", for, if you haven't actually tried multiple "versions" of a particular "type", then that makes it difficult to provide unbiased information. As for what I mean by "versions" & "type", "type" would refer to components (ie. axles, shocks, driveshafts, transmissions, leaf springs, etc), while "versions" would be specific products (ie. Vanquish Currie D44 axle, RC4WD Yota 2 axle, GCM A-13 axles, etc).

Now that that's been said, as several in these forums know, I'm new to crawlers, with my first being the Axial Capra. As I understand/see it, the Capra a great 'all around' vehicle, thus it doesn't fit into any one specific category. I'm already starting to have fun with it, and, as soon as it's truly completed, I'll be taking it out for some real "workouts". Looking towards "the future", from 'the end', towards 'the beginning', my fourth (and probably final) will be a rock racer (still to be decided), and my third will be a comp crawler (Vanquish VS4-10 Pro). As for my second, to be a comp scale/trail crawler, I've selected the TF2, which is currently enroute to me. In regards to 'upgrades', I'd love to be able to say "money is no object", but that's far from the truth. I'd prefer to upgrade components as I'm building (as opposed to building now, and upgrading down-the-road), and I'd prefer to upgrade with higher-quality, scale-looking (as much as possible) parts...but, I also can't afford to spend unnecessarily (I've done that with things in the past, especially computers...my bank account REALLY hates me for it, as does my wife). As such, I'd really, really prefer to have a 'list' of "upgrade parts" ready to pick from.

Here's when all of you loyal TF2 owners comes into play...especially those of you who've owned your TF2s for a while. What I'm interested in...what I'm hoping to get useful, unbiased replies, for...are upgrade suggestions for the mechanical, and mechanically-related, areas of the kit. This would include (but is not limited to) such things as transmission (I'll mention here that the GCM TF2 Scale Trans Conversion Kit has already been suggested to me, but appears to no longer be in production, thus other suggestions/recommendations are welcomed), shocks, leaf springs, whether (or not) the front and/or rear should be converted from leaf spring suspension (again, I'm strongly interested in keeping with the "scale" appearance more than anything, so, unless the suspension conversion would still be a "scale" conversion, I'm probably not interested), driveshafts, transfer case (yes, that could include the GCM LRT2 t-case for the R3/R4 transmission, should the "scale trans conversion kit" prove to be unobtainable), etc. I'm not in need of suggestions for bodies (tho, I will mention this one in a bit), wheels, tires, bumpers, etc...only parts directly related to the chassis.

Briefly mentioning bodies, I've read a few reports (mostly written a few years ago) of the RC4WD bodies not being so great...that they were overly prone to cracking. Granted, when those posts were written, the original Mojave body was being sold, so it is possible that the quality of plastic used in the Mojave II body has been improved...honestly, I don't know. While I do like the Toyota body included with the kit (Mojave II), I am possibly interested in other options, although they would have to be for 287mm wheelbase vehicles. What I'm asking about isn't specific bodies, but quality body manufacturers. Considering I'm looking for "detail", as opposed to "light weight", I'm not interested in Lexan bodies. Hopefully, people can lead me in the right direction for this. Honestly, I'm not certain what specific body I'd want to get (tho, I really do like Toyota), but, most importantly, it needs to be detailed, and not Lexan (obviously, the 'detail' point would remove the possibility of Lexan bodies, anyway). As such, in addition to the above-requested suggestions/recommendations for upgrade parts, I'm also interested in suggestions/recommendations for manufacturers of quality, detailed, crawler bodies (again, manufacturers producing bodies that would fit the 287mm wheelbase of the TF2).

There you have it...the 'basics' of what info I'm looking for. I don't (necessarily) need "the best" (although, if "the best" isn't overly-proceed, it's definitely worth considering), but am looking more towards the "considerably better" options. In other words, no cheap, low-quality parts, as "less expensive" isn't always better..."high-quality, low price" is a 'good' thing, but "average-quality, low price" is a 'bad' thing. Like I said at the beginning, this will probably open a bucket of worms...but, as my grandpa always said, "You can't go fishing without some worms." So...the bucket is open...let's go fishing.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Upgrade Parts Info Needed...building my second crawler

The number one thing you have to know right away is the TF2 is a totally different driving experience than than the Capra, it is leaf sprung as you know and that will limit articulation, there are a few different ways to improve the suspension, read the stickies a top the TF2 section, watch some videos on YouTube about suspension mods. I can't recommend to you what might be best for you. It all comes down to what you want to do to keep it scale but max out suspension articulation. Quite a few years ago I had a moderately modded TF2 that I ran Class 2 with and it did very well, there is a mod I did for some suspension travel using masterlinks I can't remember it all but it's in my build thread "Kincer's Tf2 is moving up to class 2" There is a link in the thread for this mod and it still was somewhat scale and still used leaf springs. A lot of guys are disappointed with the TF2 when they already have a linked rig. I personally like the realism of them.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
The number one thing you have to know right away is the TF2 is a totally different driving experience than than the Capra, it is leaf sprung as you know and that will limit articulation, there are a few different ways to improve the suspension, read the stickies a top the TF2 section, watch some videos on YouTube about suspension mods. I can't recommend to you what might be best for you. It all comes down to what you want to do to keep it scale but max out suspension articulation. Quite a few years ago I had a moderately modded TF2 that I ran Class 2 with and it did very well, there is a mod I did for some suspension travel using masterlinks I can't remember it all but it's in my build thread "Kincer's Tf2 is moving up to class 2" There is a link in the thread for this mod and it still was somewhat scale and still used leaf springs. A lot of guys are disappointed with the TF2 when they already have a linked rig. I personally like the realism of them.
Yep, x2.

Read all the stickies, watch some videos and decide where you want to build it up to.
Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - RC4WD Trail Finder 2 at RCCrawler.com

Here's my take on the TF2, avoid the monkey motion shackle crap, crawls better without it. Take your time and go through the entire truck checking everything, replace all the screws with good quality steel fasteners, I get most mine from www.mcmcaster.com , don't use stainless weak stuff. Ditch the rock hard but good looking Mud Thrasher tires. The body on my red RTR has been fine, but you can NOT treat this truck like a linked lexan bodied crawler or it will break. HTH
Natedog's Trail Findering TF2 Tiny Truck

Edit: forgot to say the other body I'd use besides the Toyota pickup it comes with would be the Killerbody LC-70 from Asiatees.
https://www.asiatees.com/display?bra...=132198&c=zrec

Last edited by Natedog; 10-29-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
forgot to say the other body I'd use besides the Toyota pickup it comes with would be the Killerbody LC-70 from Asiatees.
https://www.asiatees.com/display?bra...=132198&c=zrec
Again, this is primarily about suggested/recommended upgrade parts, not creamer bodies. However, since you did bring up the Killerbody LC70, is there a huge difference in quality between the RC4WD & Killerbody bodies? I have considered it for the VS4-10 Pro, but, unfortunately, it can't be used on the TF2, as the body is for a 313mm wheelbase, and the TF2 has a 287mm wheelbase. I'm sure if I chopped the body, and reformed it, it could be used...except I don't have any knowledge (or tools) to do that level of work.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 10-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The tf2 is a great rig for trailing and scaling. I would not frustrate myself trying to make it perform....especially if i had a Capra that is the opposite of that. Mostly performance with enough going to make it somewhat scale.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
The tf2 is a great rig for trailing and scaling. I would not frustrate myself trying to make it perform....especially if i had a Capra that is the opposite of that. Mostly performance with enough going to make it somewhat scale.
I'm not trying to, and I never said/indicated I was trying to, make the TF2 a "performance" vehicle...not sure where you got that idea. As I attempted to clearly state when I created this thread, I'm interested in upgrading parts with higher-quality parts that still maintain and/or improves upon the "scale".

Using the included R3 transmission as one example, I'm sure most will agree it's not exactly "scale". While the R4 is an improvement in (some) "performance", it's, more importantly, an improvement in "scale". Going up another step, the GCM Scale Trans Conversion Kit is (or 'was', if it's no longer being produced) an improvement in scale and quality.

It's this type of "upgrade" I'm referring to for other mechanical, and "mechanically-related", parts. I realize there isn't a huge number of parts that would qualify for "improvement" - transmission, suspension (shocks & leaf springs), transfer case, axles, and driveshafts - thus the reason I'm focusing on those parts in this thread. For the transmission & t-case, if I can obtain the GCM kit, that's a great start...but, I'm also looking for other possibilities (in case the GCM kit isn't obtainable). As such, I still need suggestions/options for the axles, driveshafts, and suspension. Regarding the suspension, if "lifted springs" are available (people so still remember suspension lifts, right?), that would be fantastic, as they would allow larger tires to be used, increasing ground clearance...and maintaining the "scale" appearance at the same time.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
RCC Addict

My experience with the TF2 has been great, haven't really upgraded much on them other than metal driveshafts and electronics. Like Natedog said going through the entire rig and checking everything is a must! There have been known cases of missing bearings here and there and sub par hardware. It's a solid rig when everything is right and not much is needed other than some tweaking of the suspension. They do make a body lift, I don't think they make a suspension lift but I could be wrong. I like to keep mine low for COG though. These trucks once tweaked are awesome. You don't need to throw a lot of after market stuff at it just some ingenuity.

This is another body choice for them by the way. It mounts right on. Everything needed to mount it comes with body I have about a week of painting and assembly time in this one.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My experience with the TF2 has been great, haven't really upgraded much on them other than metal driveshafts and electronics. Like Natedog said going through the entire rig and checking everything is a must! There have been known cases of missing bearings here and there and sub par hardware. It's a solid rig when everything is right and not much is needed other than some tweaking of the suspension. They do make a body lift, I don't think they make a suspension lift but I could be wrong. I like to keep mine low for COG though. These trucks once tweaked are awesome. You don't need to throw a lot of after market stuff at it just some ingenuity.

This is another body choice for them by the way. It mounts right on. Everything needed to mount it comes with body I have about a week of painting and assembly time in this one.
By the looks of it, that's a "hard plastic" body (not Lexan), which is exactly what is want...but, is your TF2 the 'standard' (287mm), or 'LWB' (313mm). If 'standard', fantastic...which would lead me to along what body (manufacturer & model) is it?

As for the suspension, I found the body lift (which give 5mm & 10mm lift), as well as the lift blocks (which give 2mm, 4mm, & 6mm options). Between these two, I'm fairly certain one of them (or both) will meet my suspension needs. So far, I might have the tranny/t-case solved (not certain), and I'm thinking the suspension is solved. I'm also thinking I've figured out the shocks.

So, that leaves the axles & driveshafts...and, maybe, the tranny & t-case. For the axles, I could go with the Yota 2 axles (unless there's any known reasons to avoid them), but I had another idea. If this were a 1:1 Toy, and you swapped the 22R for a Chevy 350, if you were building a scale version, what axles would you use (keeping work the "scale" look, correct time period, and wanting quality axles w/ quality gear options)? This is not to say that I 'will' be putting a scale 350 over the motor... I'm toying (pun intended) with the idea - 22R vs 350 vs 22RE.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
By the looks of it, that's a "hard plastic" body (not Lexan), which is exactly what is want...but, is your TF2 the 'standard' (287mm), or 'LWB' (313mm). If 'standard', fantastic...which would lead me to along what body (manufacturer & model) is it?

As for the suspension, I found the body lift (which give 5mm & 10mm lift), as well as the lift blocks (which give 2mm, 4mm, & 6mm options). Between these two, I'm fairly certain one of them (or both) will meet my suspension needs. So far, I might have the tranny/t-case solved (not certain), and I'm thinking the suspension is solved. I'm also thinking I've figured out the shocks.

So, that leaves the axles & driveshafts...and, maybe, the tranny & t-case. For the axles, I could go with the Yota 2 axles (unless there's any known reasons to avoid them), but I had another idea. If this were a 1:1 Toy, and you swapped the 22R for a Chevy 350, if you were building a scale version, what axles would you use (keeping work the "scale" look, correct time period, and wanting
quality axles w/ quality gear options)? This is not to say that I 'will' be putting a scale 350 over the motor... I'm toying (pun intended) with the idea - 22R vs 350 vs 22RE.

That is the RC4wd Toyota 4Runner body it fits the standard TF2 and TF2 Marlin with no modifications. Yes it's a hard body and very nice, full interior, opening hood, doors, and tailgate. Rear roof also comes off.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That is the RC4wd Toyota 4Runner body it fits the standard TF2 and TF2 Marlin with no modifications. Yes it's a hard body and very nice, full interior, opening hood, doors, and tailgate. Rear roof also comes off.
BINGO!!!
Thanks for helping me find/determine the body for my TF2. While it's not an old FJ-40, or FJ45 (can't find those in 287mm...I've searched, and searched, and searched), it's the next best thing. Looks like my "shopping list" is getting things added to it, but still gotta figure out the other items.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
BINGO!!!
Thanks for helping me find/determine the body for my TF2. While it's not an old FJ-40, or FJ45 (can't find those in 287mm...I've searched, and searched, and searched), it's the next best thing. Looks like my "shopping list" is getting things added to it, but still gotta figure out the other items.

The body is PRICEY but well worth it, I do have a build thread in the TF2 section if you wanna see it in pieces and the bumpers I used. RC4wd website has a ton of accessories for this body.

Kincer's 4Runner Marlin build

Last edited by kincer; 10-29-2019 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 10-29-2019, 07:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The body is PRICEY but well worth it, I do have a build thread in the TF2 section if you wanna see it in pieces and the bumpers I used. RC4wd website has a ton of accessories for this body.

Kincer's 4Runner Marlin build
"Funny" thing is, I already had your build thread 'bookmarked', plus I had scanned through it...just haven't yet had the time to sit down and read every post.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

UPDATE:
I was able to obtain the GCM TF2 Scale Trans Conversion Kit...although I had to order it from the Canadian site (US site has it listed as "out of stock"). So, once I receive the TF2 kit, I'll be listing the 2-speed R3 transmission for sale. Since it sells online for $130, and it will be factory-new, would $100 (incl shipping) be a reasonable asking price? For anyone who doesn't feel 'comfortable' answering this question in the thread, feel free to PM me.
Note to Ops - this is NOT a listing...only me asking if an amount would be considered a reasonable selling price.

So far, the following "matters" related to my soon-to-be-started build have been resolved, or figured out: transmission, t-case, suspension (incl shocks), and body. This means that the only remaining parts I'm still needing assistance/advice/recommendations for are the driveshafts, and axles. At this point, it seems a 99.9% probability that the body will be the 4Runner recommended/suggested by Kincer, so, in regards to any axle and/or driveshaft suggestions/recommendations, they should for in work the scale looks of a mid-80s 4Runner.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Again, this is primarily about suggested/recommended upgrade parts, not creamer bodies. However, since you did bring up the Killerbody LC70, is there a huge difference in quality between the RC4WD & Killerbody bodies? I have considered it for the VS4-10 Pro, but, unfortunately, it can't be used on the TF2, as the body is for a 313mm wheelbase, and the TF2 has a 287mm wheelbase. I'm sure if I chopped the body, and reformed it, it could be used...except I don't have any knowledge (or tools) to do that level of work
Well you mentioned different bodies and lexan in your original post lol. Styrene and ABS bodies are easy to chop and mod, wheelbase can be added or subtracted, bob the rear and add it in the middle for longer, etc. Congrats scoring the GCM scale transmission, very nice unit with OD transfer case!

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, nice option too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Upgrade Parts Info Needed...building my second crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi night crawler info needed Fivos Rock City Team Losi Comp Crawler 15 07-29-2015 11:25 AM
Comp Crawler info needed! crawlercop Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 02-04-2010 07:42 AM
hilift parts tree info needed obijuan 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 02-02-2007 05:48 AM