Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: TF2 Transmission: R3 2-speed vs R3 single-speed vs R4 single-speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default TF2 Transmission: R3 2-speed vs R3 single-speed vs R4 single-speed

Two things...first, still a crawler newb (Axial Capra, my 1st crawler) is almost finished); second, just ordered the TF2 w/ Mojave 2dr kit (yea, I know I said the VS4-10 would be me second crawler, but they're out-of-stock, plus I can't afford it right now, so it'll be my 3rd). Ok...enough of that. Anyway.........

As I understand it, the kit comes with the 2-speed version of the R3 tranny. I don't know if the R4 is a "newer" tranny, or just a more 'robust' one. Also, as far as I've been able to determine, there is no 2-speed version of the R4. Also, since I can't seem to find any detailed info on these transmissions, some info from "those in the know" would be greatly appreciated.

As for my questions, I'll break then down as simple as possible:

1) Is the R4 better than the R3, or the other way around?
2) If there's no 2-speed version of the R4, does anyone know why?

Since I'm building this vehicle for 'scale detail', I'd REALLY like to mount an engine, but there's a "problem". The only "engine" I've been able to find for the 2-speed R3 (Z-S1749) is not only too "basic" (you can't add belts, pullys, houses, etc), it's also the wrong type of engine (ie. 'modern'), and it's not even a full "engine" (essentially, it's just the head & valve covers). This "situation" leads to additional questions:

a) If the 2-speed R3 is better than the other two, are there other "engines" available...p preferably something that not only more accurately resembles a full engine, but one that is also reminiscent of the correct time period?
b) If the 2-speed R3 is the 'worst' of the three, which of the other two is best (and why)?

This newb could use all the help he can get right now. Thanks, in advance, for any/all helpful info provided.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TF2 Transmission: R3 2-speed vs R3 single-speed vs R4 single-speed

R2 is old OG noisy rectangular box of a transmission....pass.
R3 single speed is compact kinda scale-ish and has held up well ime. R3 single speed is what I've been running in my TF2.
R3 two-speed is little bigger kinda scale-ish and from what I"ve read been pretty strong and reliable.
R4 is only available in single speed and no 2-speed available gear setup as per RC4WD but I've not used it.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Ok...so, the R4 is single-speed only. I get that. What I'm really interested in is the comparison between the R3 (2-speed) & R4, in terms of quality, "bulletproof-ness", overall strength, gearing, etc.

As I'm starting to learn/understand, some crawler transmissions are geared (physically, and metaphorically) towards serious low-speed "rock crawling", others towards "trail runs", others towards "rock racing", and so forth. Some are geared in such a way that they can be used under more than one category (ie. they sorta-kinda fall 'in-between' categories).

I guess part of what I'm asking is, which does the R3 2-speed fall under, which does the R4 fall under...and, in regards to both, is one "better" (in build quality, materiel quality, long-term functionality, etc) than the other. While half of me likes the idea of having a 2-speed tranny, the other half doesn't see the realistic need for it.

Additionally, I don't know (for either tranny) if a DIG is possible...but, if it is, to me, that might give that tranny an "advantage" over the other. I've searched on the last point, and, so far, I've turned up nothing, so I'm assuming DIG isn't a possibility with either transmission, which only takes us back to the original points, as mentioned above.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 10-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

There are tons of 3D printed options for engines, have a look at what Shapeways has https://www.shapeways.com/marketplac...q=engine+cover

I know there are a few different versions of 22R's out there, though its worth noting not all are meant to slide over a motor so look out for that.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
There are tons of 3D printed options for engines, have a look at what Shapeways has https://www.shapeways.com/marketplac...q=engine+cover

I know there are a few different versions of 22R's out there, though its worth noting not all are meant to slide over a motor so look out for that.
This isn't about engines...it's about the RC4WD transmissions.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Since I'm building this vehicle for 'scale detail', I'd REALLY like to mount an engine, but there's a "problem". The only "engine" I've been able to find for the 2-speed R3 (Z-S1749) is not only too "basic" (you can't add belts, pullys, houses, etc), it's also the wrong type of engine (ie. 'modern'), and it's not even a full "engine" (essentially, it's just the head & valve covers). This "situation" leads to additional questions:
Seems to me it has to do with engines, forgive me for reading into that. You mention not being able to find anything for the R3 tranny, just wanted to point out it doesn't need to be made for it to fit necessarily.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 10-24-2019 at 05:35 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Seems to me it has to do with engines, forgive me for reading into that. You mention not being able to find anything for the R3 tranny, just wanted to point out it doesn't need to be made for it to fit necessarily.
Yes, it is partly about a scale engine. But, more importantly, it's about the transmission...or, to be more specific, which transmission to get. I could stick with the included 2hspeed, or switch to the R4. While RC4WD makes an engine that bolts directly to the R4, there are numerous "engine" fans they could be used on any motor attached to the RE.

However, what I'm far more interested in is overall quality, as well as purpose, of the transmission, as mentioned in my previous post. The RC4WD "engine" for the R4 could prove to be most realistic looking, but if the transmission is only half as good as the R3, then why would I want it? On the other hand, if the R4 is the better transmission, then I'm wondering if there are other, more realistic looking, "engines x than the RC4WD offering.

Put another way, although the engine is somewhat important, the transmission is somewhat more important. Sorry if I confused anyone...does it make more sense when worded this way?

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-24-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have a TF2 that started as a 2 speed, was swapped to a R4, and now runs a R3 single speed so I have a little insight.

Answers below in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
As for my questions, I'll break then down as simple as possible:

1) Is the R4 better than the R3, or the other way around?
Neither is really better than the other, both are similar construction packed into different forms. Either holds up to life in a TF2 just fine.
2) If there's no 2-speed version of the R4, does anyone know why?
The 2 speed gears and shifting mechanism would be too bulky to fit in the R4 case and keep it a scale size.

a) If the 2-speed R3 is better than the other two, are there other "engines" available...p preferably something that not only more accurately resembles a full engine, but one that is also reminiscent of the correct time period?
Yes, Scale Designs by MrcommaD makes several variations of the Toyota 4 cylinder for that generation and his detail blows away anything else you can buy
b) If the 2-speed R3 is the 'worst' of the three, which of the other two is best (and why)?
Again, none of them is best or worse. Some people like the 2 speed and some don’t. The R4 is the most scale looking but the R3 has more gearing options and a slipper clutch. It comes down to the intended purpose of the truck. .
The best scale drivetrain setup is the GCM LRT2 conversion. It has a transmission similar to the R4 but with a better gear ratio and the attached transfer case is more scale, has overdrive built in, and eliminates the transmission to transfer case coupler that always seems to loosen on the TF2.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I have a TF2 that started as a 2 speed, was swapped to a R4, and now runs a R3 single speed so I have a little insight.

The best scale drivetrain setup is the GCM LRT2 conversion. It has a transmission similar to the R4 but with a better gear ratio and the attached transfer case is more scale, has overdrive built in, and eliminates the transmission to transfer case coupler that always seems to loosen on the TF2.
Now THAT'S the type of answer I was looking for...answered all the questions, and, more importantly, was extremely informative. Thank you. Honestly, I didn't even know there were other transmission options/possibilities available. Having several off-road race vehicles, the Axial Capra is my first crawler, and the TF2 will be my second. Of course, thanks to you, my back account is about to get a little more irritated with me...lol.

Seriously, though, thank you for not only the info on the R3 & R4 , but also the LRT2, and the "Scale Designs by MrcommanD" info.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-24-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Thank you for the GCM suggestion/recommendation. While the US site has it listed as "out of stock", the Canadian site showed them as available...shipping to California just cost a lil extra, but that's ok. Anyway, it arrived yesterday. While I can only "play" work the tranny/T-case right now, I DO like it. Unfortunately, I received a message from the shipper of my TF2, informing me of a slight delay in receiving the TF2 kits from RC4WD, so it will be another week before mine ships to me. Oh well...gives me more time to finish my Capra.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

TF2 Transmission: R3 2-speed vs R3 single-speed vs R4 single-speed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turning 2 speed trans into single speed Betts818 General Crawlers 2 06-20-2016 12:52 PM
F350 3 speed to single speed conversion, tips/ideas needed please neo 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 02-11-2010 02:49 PM