Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Is it frowned upon to 4 link a tf2?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #1

Default Is it frowned upon to 4 link a tf2?

Ive installed the 3 link and 4 link on my tf2 recently and ive had it out a few times and it seems to perform well. But i hardly see others that are linked on social media. Anyone have a thought on this

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
beanz4run is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Is it frowned upon to 4 link a tf2?

Most people I think buy into the tf2 for the scale crawling of the leaf springs. To me a linked TF2 is now basically a SCX10.2 that you over paid for. You can spend your money how ever you want though. Maybe some realize after they buy it they would rather have a linked rig instead of leaf springs so they link it?
Toyotarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotarc View Post
Most people I think buy into the tf2 for the scale crawling of the leaf springs. To me a linked TF2 is now basically a SCX10.2 that you over paid for. You can spend your money how ever you want though. Maybe some realize after they buy it they would rather have a linked rig instead of leaf springs so they link it?
I ran the teraflex shackles for a while and i enjoyed it with the added droop. Ive put some money into experimenting haha! I enjoyed it amd would own another that is leaf sprung

Old 11-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
RCC Addict

If you want a linked rig buy a TRX, SCX10, etc in my opinion. I have my TF2s for the leaf spring driving experience, to each their own I say but I think it's a waste to buy a TF2 and put links on it. I don't frown on it at all I just think you are going the long way around to get links.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Build what you like is what I say, that's what this hobby is all about. Leaf or link, who cares as long as you like it.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Build what you like is what I say, that's what this hobby is all about. Leaf or link, who cares as long as you like it.
Yeah if youre having fun then who cares lol

Old 11-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I linked my long wheelbase because I’m running a jeep wrangler unlimited body and they do not have leaf springs stock. Plus in order to fit the body with the full interior I needed a rig that had the tranny and everything upfront. I was able to fit everything including all electronics under the hood section and the interior is able to sit flat on the battery tray which I am using as the front body mounting point. This body works so much better on the trail finder to turn any of the other link the rigs out there for what I wanted it to look like.

You do you :-)
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I went at it from a different angle and put Yota2 axles under an SCX based build, so I kept the 4 link. I figured that the yota axles and coil overs were appropriate for a modern day solid front axle swap on a Tacoma (which is the body we're using.)We've (it's my son's truck) been kicking around the idea of putting the rear on leafs, but I'm still not sure about the idea since it would be a step backward in performance. Either way is plenty realistic, leafs just look better on a stock-ish truck build... but last time I checked, stock-ish trucks don't run the equivalent of 42"s! There's no right or wrong way about it.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #9

True that guys! Cool ideas too!

Old 11-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz4run View Post
Ive installed the 3 link and 4 link on my tf2 recently and ive had it out a few times and it seems to perform well. But i hardly see others that are linked on social media. Anyone have a thought on this

I think you have seen why us linked TF2 guys just keep our mouth shut. The scale snobs and their "Just get a SCX10". It gets old. Needless to say, mine is linked. When I run with a group of leaf'd TF2's, there really is no difference. The leafs work better on some things, the links work better on others. By no means, does linking a TF2 make it anywhere near as capable as a SCX10. That is, unless, your SCX10 setup is complete trash.

my Trail Finder Flame suit is on, bring it!
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself! Have fun and do what you like. If you are in a comp do as you wish.
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:40 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

It's your tf, you can do whatever makes you happy. For me I wanted something different and wanted the leaf springs. I've got the tera flex stuff on it to. Love driving my tf, drives way different than my trx4 or scx10.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I can't say, nor do I know, if 'linking' a TF2 is "frowned upon", but I will say this:

If you want a leaf-spring crawler, buy a leaf-spring crawler, such as the TF2...and, if you want a crawler with a link suspension, then buy a crawler with a link suspension, such as the SCX10.2. Why buy one, and convert it to the other?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 12-23-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowzit View Post
I think you have seen why us linked TF2 guys just keep our mouth shut. The scale snobs and their "Just get a SCX10". It gets old. Needless to say, mine is linked. When I run with a group of leaf'd TF2's, there really is no difference. The leafs work better on some things, the links work better on others. By no means, does linking a TF2 make it anywhere near as capable as a SCX10. That is, unless, your SCX10 setup is complete trash.

my Trail Finder Flame suit is on, bring it!
Yup, I to am one of those quiet ones. Linked my Marlin within two months of having it. When it had leafs, I did Teraflex shackles all around and it did way better, but still wanted more out of it. Ended up getting both link setups and then some. Went titanium links and 90mm RockKrawler shocks. Needles to say that the rig is now way more capable than it ever was before. “You want a linked TF2, get an SCX10.2 or a Traxxas”, they say. A link TF2 behaves nothing alike to a 10.2 nor to a TRX4. I have both a 10.2 Honcho and a TRX4 Sport and they both drive very different to my TF2. The TF2 has 4.19’s and not 4.75’s, is heavier, way better built, waaaayyy more scale looking, and just more fun to drive, even with the “same” linked setup.Yet, though it now performs incredibly good, the scale feeling you get from leafs is unmatched by a linked suspension.

Leafs is not just a suspension setup, it is a way of life. You just grow to love and appreciate a leaf setup. You learn to drive it and accept its feedback.
1SLWMoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Linking a TF2 is almost as bad as putting a Chevy engine in Ford lmao ��
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb4pro View Post
Linking a TF2 is almost as bad as putting a Chevy engine in Ford lmao ��
Putting a Chevy engine in a Ford improves it. That's why most hot rods have Chevy engines and Ford rear ends.

I frown upon linking a Trail Finder 2 or a Sawback because they are they only leaf spring scale trucks out there.

If you want a linked truck there are much better platforms than the TF2.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:16 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I've thought more about this "question" since I posted my initial reply. I'm still extremely new to crawlers (only completed kit is my Capra, tho my TK chassis is built), so I'll readily admit I know almost nothing of scale link vs leaf-spring. However, in deciding what my 2nd & 3rd kits would be, I SPECIFICALLY wanted to build a scale link-based kit, AND a super-scale leaf-based kit.

Although I had originally planned on the VP VS4-10 Pro for the 'link' kit, I changed my mind, deciding to go work the SSD Trail King Pro. In regards to the 'leaf' kit, I had an incredibly short list consisting of the TF2, and nothing else. I won't get into any "Ford vs Chevy" debate (primarily because I prefer Toyota...tho, if I was building up a 1:1 Toy, I'd probably be sticking a 350 inside), but I will say this:
The reason...the ONLY reason...I got the TF2 is BECAUSE it's a leaf-spring kit.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:40 AM   #18

Frowned upon, pfff. I have one that is leafs front and rear, one with leafs rear and linked front and then one that is linked front and rear. You want to talk frowned upon, I am busy contemplating on how to 4 link a TF front and rear and putting SCX10ii Vanquish Currie F9's under it.
Soundboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #19
JMo

And the irony now is that RC4WD actually make a leaf-spring conversion kit for the SCX10 II chassis...

Will the madness never end?!
JMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
And the irony now is that RC4WD actually make a leaf-spring conversion kit for the SCX10 II chassis...

Will the madness never end?!
Too true lol