Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: What’s the consensus on leaf spring removal? Also other generic tf2 n00b questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #1

Default What’s the consensus on leaf spring removal? Also other generic tf2 n00b questions

Ok y’all I just got my bf Goodrich rtr and I’m trying to figure a few things out. I’ve done a ton of reading and watching videos, but I could use y’all’s help concentrating some info

1, what’s the “best” setup for the leafs? I’ve seen a ton of different combos. Mine currently has the largest and smallest in stock order

2, where does the on/off switch go? Mine was loose when I got it and I’m trying to figure a place to restick it

3, I vented the tires on my scx10 iii, should I also with this one?

4, is there any real way to lower the truck? Mine has massive fender gap

5, are there any good bumpers that’ll fit with the stock chrome bumper? I’m not a fan of how far the plastic “Marlin” one sticks out

6, I REALLY need to raise the xfer skid plate. Looking at the most common options, I like the a&m plate, but work about the angles on the shafts vs something like the bowhouse. Will it impact the truck negatively?

So far I’ve destickered the body and removed the rear bumper “corners” for a cleaner look. I think I might go with a 90’s promo show truck look until it gets beat to hell.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DavidVonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What’s the consensus on leaf spring removal? Also other generic tf2 n00b question

Check out my thread new tf2 lwb upgrade. I think you will find what you are looking for. Congratulations on the tf2👍👍👍👍
djr01974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #3

Default Re: What’s the consensus on leaf spring removal? Also other generic tf2 n00b question

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr01974 View Post
Check out my thread new tf2 lwb upgrade. I think you will find what you are looking for. Congratulations on the tf2

Thanks! I’ve been watching your thread too btw

Old 09-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If it's gonna be really used on rocks - I'd ditch the front chrome bumper and then install a more durable one up close to the body in its place - bumper in front of bumper is just wrong... (IMHO)

If you get the right bumper mount, however - the plastic Vanquish VS4-10 front bumper fits quite well on the TF2 - again, in place of the stock chrome bumper.

Super inexpensive, yet about as durable as you could ever ask a plastic bumper to be, too.

There are 3 RC4WD front bumper mounts with the only difference being the height they lift the bumper to in relation to the grille - and I can't remember if the stock one is the right height for the VS4-10 bumper.

I have included a (crappy) pic of a RC4WD C2X in progress of a bunch of modifications with a Vanquish VS4-10 bumper installed - be warned, the C2X body comes with the entire front valance below the grille cut flush - it just ain't there no more!

Easy to do - in fact I think there are instructions somewhere on the RC4WD site showing how to cut the body.

Also, the C2X fenders come pre-cut away for big ol' tars...

And lastly, it doesn't use the same frame rails as the TF2 - but, the bumper mounts do bolt up the same way.

Anyways, you can see in the pic that the bumper is absolutely perfectly flush with the bottom of the grille and headlights - and you can slide it in and out of the mounts to get it very close to the body.
Attached Images

Last edited by durok; 09-28-2020 at 11:39 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
If it's gonna be really used on rocks - I'd ditch the front chrome bumper and then install a more durable one up close to the body in its place - bumper in front of bumper is just wrong... (IMHO)

If you get the right bumper mount, however - the plastic Vanquish VS4-10 front bumper fits quite well on the TF2 - again, in place of the stock chrome bumper.

Super inexpensive, yet about as durable as you could ever ask a plastic bumper to be, too.

There are 3 RC4WD front bumper mounts with the only difference being the height they lift the bumper to in relation to the grille - and I can't remember if the stock one is the right height for the VS4-10 bumper.

I have included a (crappy) pic of a RC4WD C2X in progress of a bunch of modifications with a Vanquish VS4-10 bumper installed - be warned, the C2X body comes with the entire front valance below the grille cut flush - it just ain't there no more!

Easy to do - in fact I think there are instructions somewhere on the RC4WD site showing how to cut the body.

And lastly, it doesn't use the same frame rails as the TF2 - but, the bumper mounts do bolt up the same way.

Anyways, you can see in the pic that the bumper is absolutely perfectly flush with the bottom of the grille and headlights - and you can slide it in and out of the mounts to get it very close to the body.

How you liking that c2x? I’m debating that or one of the other tf2 rtrs.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I have included a (crappy) pic of a RC4WD C2X in progress of a bunch of modifications with a Vanquish VS4-10 bumper installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVonDoom View Post
How you liking that c2x? I’m debating that or one of the other tf2 rtrs.
It's never turned a wheel in anger...

Bought it direct using a military discount upon release almost a year ago - been gathering add-ons and some upgrades ever since. I tend to do that with my purchases!

I've gutted the electronics, marked the roof with masking tape and ink for drilling to install a rack, pulled the interior for installing accessories, swapped wheels and tires and the front bumper.

Come to think of it - the Vanquish bumper SHOULD fit your TF2 perfectly using the mount it came with - because the C2X also comes with that silly high-riding floppy noodle front bumper.

I swapped it straight away...

Since it sits flush, it should do the same on the standard TF2...again, AFTER cutting away the bumper and other plastic below the grille.

However, I am not likely to stick with that bumper myself - I found a steel bumper in almost exactly the same design that I will be using, it's just not mounted yet.

Also got steel sliders, Jun-Fac driveshafts, aluminum diff covers, steel interior rollcage, light kit, and RC4WD sent me their upgraded aluminum Panhard mount.

Hopefully I'll get off my tail and finish it before November, when it will be exactly one year old.....
Old 09-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Wow that bumper does look good on there. They are cheap too, 15 for both front and back. Do you have a pic from the side and top?
josh9mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9mile View Post
Wow that bumper does look good on there. They are cheap too, 15 for both front and back. Do you have a pic from the side and top?
Your wish is my command!
Attached Images

What’s the consensus on leaf spring removal? Also other generic tf2 n00b questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock TF2 Leaf Removal YDAZOPEN RC4WD Trail Finder 2 6 02-17-2017 09:06 AM
Leaf spring questions... Burf RC4WD Trail Finder 2 5 12-20-2014 12:55 AM
leaf spring bushing removal theloudone Chit Chat 22 11-26-2013 06:30 PM
leaf spring questions the kid General Crawlers 2 04-01-2007 06:45 PM
Leaf spring shackle questions MNorby General Scale Talk 4 03-23-2007 11:56 PM