Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Gelande 2 Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RC4WD Gelande 2 Shocks

Anyone have any build tips , tricks or mods for these shocks?

1. They leak like a sieve
2. The shock ends un screw (even after thread lock
3. They tend to lock up.. eg car is sitting on shelf. If I go up to it and push down, they’re stiff and if I press a little more they compress.. almost like a temporary hydro lock even though they can’t keep oil

Now, I will add, I’m very good at building shocks. I race 1/10 TC
1. I know how to bleed them
2. get the air out of them
3. Build with 0 rebound etc
4. I have different diameters piston drill bits to change dampening flow etc..

But when it comes to these shocks.. I’m at a loss.. so before I label them junk.. I figured I’d ask the experts here.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #2

Default Re: RC4WD Gelande 2 Shocks

Not a fan of them at all. I've a D110 and FJ and I've replaced the stocks shocks on both.
Tangmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:46 AM   #3

I'm having the same issue on mine. I'm running leaf springs on mine, but the shocks will not hold oil, I think I'm going to seal the threads and try that. I don't know if the oil is leaking from the threads on the bottom, the top or the shock shaft.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hermosillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have had the same problems and also just got the Bilstein scale shocks in 90mm and same issue. I have been wondering if its possible to disassemble them and find some better seals for them.

I love the look of the bilstein shocks but hate the issues I have had with RC4WD's shocks.
ToyotaKing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:40 PM   #5

I tore my shocks apart today, I replaced the oil with stock TRX4 oil I had around. I sealed the bottom and top threads with pipe sealant. I'll report back if the sealant on the threads worked.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Let us know what you find
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I dont believe these were ever designed to hold oil. EDIT: sorry I think I'm confusing these with their internal spring shocks

I've heard of people trying diff oil in the hopes that the thickness will slow the leaking down.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-02-2021 at 11:51 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I took my Bilstein shocks apart and added some ProTek Blue oring grease to the orings in the bottom cap and whamobamo no more sticking after sitting for a few minutes and then trying to move the shocks also seemed to stop the leaking I was having. I also recommend cleaning them out really good I found burrs and chips from the machining process inside the shock which is ridiculous! This is just poor quality flat out. I know they aren't meant to be a "performance" shock by any means but they shouldn't have metal chips and huge burrs in the shocks.... one was literally a half inch long burr/chip right where the orings are inside the shock and the chrome plating was flaking off all inside the shock I'm sure because they didnt get the coolant from the machining process completely cleaned out of the inside of the shock before it went through the plating process and is now just flaking off from improper adhesion.
ToyotaKing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #9

I drove this thing for four miles and when i got home, I inspected the shocks, three of them have oil seeping out after I sealed the threads. I am now convinced the stock shocks will probably never hold oil. I will clean them up, and try to run the truck again this weekend and check on the 4th shock that didn't leak.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I've used these for a few months and the shock shaft chrome hasn't worn off like the stock ones did. Also doesn't lock up after sitting and keeps the oil in pretty well. They do seep a bit but nothing like the stockers did. They also actuate smoother on top of it.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:35 AM   #11

Do you run the 90mm length?

Old 05-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I've just ordered the 80mm length, from Amazon.com (instead of the Canadian link that was posted) - for my Marlin:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:26 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I just swapped my 2015 Defender to 90mm scx10 ii shocks and all I can say is, WOW! What a difference. Flex for days. Have to finish hacking the bodywork a little, but it's a night and day difference. I'll post some pics soon.
DirtBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:12 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Please forgive the indoor pics, but here are a few showing maximum articulation and stance. It now sits a little lower than stock and much improved damping. Can't wait to see how it handles the rocks now. Wanna throw on some 1.9's with Mickey Thompson Baja Pro X's on it next, with a little more fender trim work of course.
DirtBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #15

I ordered the same shocks Durok did. I used green grease in the o rings and filled them with 60w oil. After 7 1/2 miles, there is some despised seepage from the o rings or o ring cap, but it's far less than the stock RC4WD shocks. There is also some minor seepage from the cap on at least one of the shocks. I run two leafs at each corner, this thing is heavy.

Old 02-03-2023, 07:41 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I've swapped front shocks to rear and bought RC4WD white SuperLift 80mm up front (the chrome immediately started peeling off the shafts), filled all with 3000wt diff oil and Green Slimed the o-rings.
https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Superl...rs_p_3530.html

The stock silver shocks had a couple o-rings missing from the factory.

They all seal at the cap, but the shaft o-rings still leak almost like a sieve. Need to buy new o-rings (gotta check the sizes) and try again.

Durok, how did those black shocks work out? They look like same manufacturer but better quality?

Last edited by Natedog; 06-14-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:46 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Durok, how did those black shocks work out? They look like same manufacturer but better quality?

I haven't touched my Marlin (or C2X) yet - I have ALL the parts I need to fully modify per all the threads I've read doing research on what is supposed to give the best leaf-spring performance - but I need room to lay everything out and start working on them. I also have the discontinued steel worktruck-style flatbed for it.

I also got majorly sidetracked by picking up an Ecto on impulse - love that thing!

The C2X of course does not run leafs, it has a set of Rock Krawler RRD Emulsion Scale Dual Spring Shocks, 4 Link Rear And 3-Link W/ Panhard Bar Front Suspension. I've scooped up all the aluminum upgrades they made for the D44 Narrow axles before they discontinued them, it should end up being an interesting (if extremely top-heavy) truck when I am done installing everything. I even picked up a steel full interior roll cage for the 4dr body!

As per usual, I am procrastinating...

(sorry for the slight derailment of the thread!)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 03:50 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

@Durok, sounds sweet and thanks for the update!

Forgot to mention that I run full TF2 leaf spring packs but rounded the corners at each leaf end to help smooth things up. I had to fully disassemble all leaf packs, hand re-arched/straightened every leaf and replaced all screws at the same time.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WD Gelande 2 Shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old man emu shocks, Gelande ii Gnmetalprl General Crawlers 0 06-22-2020 11:52 PM
Rc4wd gelande ii rtr / rc4wd gelande ii truck kit darksheep RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 08-20-2018 05:39 AM