Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Axle's? What are my options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Axle's? What are my options?

Hey all,

I pulled my TF2 off the shelf and busted it out. I ended up breaking my K44 front hub clean off. I actually did this with the stock yota axles too! My servo must be too much at 500oz.

Anyways, Im trying to get this up and running again. Frankly I am not happy with RC4WD axle quality. Both the stock and k44 RC4WD axles either broke or stripped out at the hubs.

I found these on ebay. My question... Is this same metal as the RC4WD stuff? Or is it worse?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARB-Edition...8AAOSwy2NfWcSo

Ive seen a few comment about the ring and pinion being easy to strip. Is is the same metal and or ring and pinion RC4WD uses? If not, can I just use my RC4WD ring and pinion in these?

Or should i just buy an SCX10 II builders kit and slap my TF2 body on it? the goal is to keep the Hard body toyota body more than anything.

So do I buy a full replacement axle set for 100-200 bucks? Or do I buy kit I can slap this TF2 hard body on and be done with the TF2 chassis?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

BW.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Axle's? What are my options?

The biggest issue I have with using other axles is the width. Pretty much everything else is alot wider and causes the tires to stick out pretty far. Although I have seen a few guys running AR44s and they looked pretty good.

If you are going to run it alot and beat on it pretty hard I would go with a SCX10II builders kit and use your body.

I have a 500oz+ servo and haven't broken anything but the knuckles did develop alot of slop in the kingpin bushings pretty quick. I feel like alot of it is just how hard are you on your rigs will determine just what you need to go with. You could have already had a crack or fracture in your axle that caused it to fail. I dont see mine ever breaking from just the servo unless in was in one hell of a bind. Hell its possible to break anything.

If you want to keep leaf springs and run the AR44 axles JEC Racing has leaf spring mounts for the AR44s, TRX4 and I think the element axles will work to by using the AR44 mount JEC sells. So if you want to run leaf springs stay with the TF2 chassis if you dont care about the leafs and would rather have linked the just pickup a something like the SCX10II builders kit. If you want a scale engine and drivetrain look into an SSD trail king.

As for the ring and pinion most of the time it boils down to properly shimming the pinion. I have a TF2 running on 3S with a Mamba X and a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro V2 2700KV so no lack of power and my ring and pinion in the front looks "ok" it has some wear on the teeth and the rear has a good bit more wear and I can actually tell the ring gears teeth are starting to wear to a point but I probably could have gotten better life out of it by re-shimming the pinion after a few runs and it was good and seated at that point. I will be upgrading to the Helical cut ring and pinion soon and it should hold up alot better.

Last edited by ToyotaKing88; 01-24-2021 at 09:25 PM.
ToyotaKing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKing88 View Post
The biggest issue I have with using other axles is the width. Pretty much everything else is alot wider and causes the tires to stick out pretty far. Although I have seen a few guys running AR44s and they looked pretty good.

If you are going to run it alot and beat on it pretty hard I would go with a SCX10II builders kit and use your body.

I have a 500oz+ servo and haven't broken anything but the knuckles did develop alot of slop in the kingpin bushings pretty quick. I feel like alot of it is just how hard are you on your rigs will determine just what you need to go with. You could have already had a crack or fracture in your axle that caused it to fail. I dont see mine ever breaking from just the servo unless in was in one hell of a bind. Hell its possible to break anything.

If you want to keep leaf springs and run the AR44 axles JEC Racing has leaf spring mounts for the AR44s, TRX4 and I think the element axles will work to by using the AR44 mount JEC sells. So if you want to run leaf springs stay with the TF2 chassis if you dont care about the leafs and would rather have linked the just pickup a something like the SCX10II builders kit. If you want a scale engine and drivetrain look into an SSD trail king.

As for the ring and pinion most of the time it boils down to properly shimming the pinion. I have a TF2 running on 3S with a Mamba X and a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro V2 2700KV so no lack of power and my ring and pinion in the front looks "ok" it has some wear on the teeth and the rear has a good bit more wear and I can actually tell the ring gears teeth are starting to wear to a point but I probably could have gotten better life out of it by re-shimming the pinion after a few runs and it was good and seated at that point. I will be upgrading to the Helical cut ring and pinion soon and it should hold up alot better.

Thank you. My tf2 is fully linked. I’ve replaced the stock axles once before because my servo ripped the king pin put. I replaced the yoga with k44’s and I stripped the king pin on these. They held with locktite red but finally gave out too.

I love the truck. But I’m over buying more rc4wd axles. The k44s weren’t any better. So I’d end up buying new front and back yota 2’s. Which puts me around 150.

So that’s we’re the axial scx10 ii idea came from. It says it’s had links for 11.4 wheel base. And I saw a mount kit for it that looked perfect. But I didn’t check how far out the wheels were. In the body mount picture. They looked like a normal tf2 stance?

Seen here:

SCX10ii Body Mounts for the RC4WD Mojave II 2-Door

I’ll probably just get the axial kit and give it a try. I’ve never had an axial other than a scx24 micro and I love that thing.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2021, 04:06 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Here's my 10.2 with a TF2 body on it for reference, hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:27 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Here's my 10.2 with a TF2 body on it for reference, hope it helps.

Thank you! Do you have stock axles? Those tires don’t look too wide to me. Looks pretty good!

Old 01-25-2021, 05:29 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Thank you! Do you have stock axles? Those tires don’t look too wide to me. Looks pretty good!

Yep, stock axles

Old 01-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Yep, stock axles

Thank you again.

Well crap. Im torn. I loved my TF2 for what it was. I wish I had left it leaf sprung. I linked mine immediately and have enjoyed it until i got a TRX4 bronco.

Im just over RC4WD pot metal axles breaking on me and since I'm linked, going with axial AR44's axles with leaf spring adapters isn't an option. Unless I want to remove the links and go back to leafs. But at such time Ive spent close to if not more than just buying a SCX10 II kit.

That all said. Ive never had an Axial. Well, I have an SCX24 which I love. But thats my only axial experience. Seems like the SCX10 II has lots of option parts one can tinker with.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I love my Marlin but I just use it as a trail truck with a mild servo, when I used to comp I used my original TF2 leaf sprung rig all season, pounded the crap out of it, finished up third on the season never had an issue with it. But I do agree RC4WD axles leave a lot to be desired.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I purchased the raw builders 10.2 kit. I look forward to buying all the customizations I see for it! lol.

Well, off to start building it.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Default Axle's? What are my options?

Well I kind of fixed my TF2.

Behold my TF2-SCX10.2 combo. For not much more than the cost of two axles; you can get the SCX10.2 raw kit. I stole all I could off my TF2 (its a carcass now) and repurposed it on the SCX10.2. I'll miss the TF2 chassis for what it was. And how fun it was to work on. But I am also happy to finally have an RC with more mod parts than I can even think off on amazon prime...lol. No more waiting weeks or months for replacement parts. Yes, I am very late to Axial 1/10th party and its mass of options.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 01-28-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Axle's? What are my options? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what axle's? stevew General Crawlers 7 07-31-2010 06:17 PM
Aluminum Axle's fishh8me Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 12-12-2008 07:12 PM
Axle's Gozer Tamiya CR-01 3 07-06-2008 12:16 PM