Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Stumped! Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2021, 10:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stumped! Suggestions?

All you smarter than me (almost everyone please solve this damn issue please! If I compress both front suspension, it rebounds. Compress only left side, it rebounds. Just about every time compressing only the right side and it binds or something. Only physically pulling up brings the right side back up. Oh and oddly (hoping this is a clue into the issue) while right is stuck compressed if I roll the rig back it instantly un-binds and pops up. Not forward, only rolling backwards makes it recover. Removed shocks and work great in hand. Swapped shocks around, and issue remained on the right side. Coil overs are not catching on frame rails/shock hoops. I just don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2021, 01:58 AM   #2

Default Re: Stumped! Suggestions?

Maybe the shackle on the leaf spring is going over to far and locking the suspension in place?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Dave_Pinnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:42 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

As far as I can see from the pictures it looks like a yota axle with a 4 link kit and pitbull kronix shocks. I may be wrong but i can't see any leaf springs. Have you checked to if you steering link, panhard or top link are catching are catching anything? Or if your drive shaft is binding at all? With the right side "stuck" do you still have full steering and tire rotation?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 03-17-2021 at 03:45 AM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
As far as I can see from the pictures it looks like a yota axle with a 4 link kit and pitbull kronix shocks. I may be wrong but i can't see any leaf springs. Have you checked to if you steering link, panhard or top link are catching are catching anything? Or if your drive shaft is binding at all? With the right side "stuck" do you still have full steering and tire rotation?

You may be right, I couldn't tell much at all from the photos so just assumed there was leafs!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Dave_Pinnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:44 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Check if the balls in the links move freely. Make sure the chassis is not tweaked.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Dirt Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yep, 3 Link front, (leaf rear) Kronik shocks, Yota II axles. Thought the same, made sure links and pivot balls were free while right side still bound. All move freely. Had a thought today as I pondered on this while I should have been working. So I don’t understand all the proper geometry in regards to links. But if I’m correct, I believe the Panhard and steering link should be the same length eye to eye. When the 87’ Toyota body was released I converted my TF2 to the LWB chassis, added the Pit Bull shocks, etc. As it sat, one shock was very noticeably closer to the frame rail than the other. I corrected this by swapping the Panhard rod ends with slightly shorter ones. Could it be that I created the problem I’m now having by messing with it’s geometry?

Old 03-17-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I think you're right on that assumption. I'm pretty sure the panhard and steering link are supposed to be (at least close) to the same length and as parallel to each other as possible. I'm an amateur when it comes to suspension geometry as well, only finished kits so far, but i imagine if the lengths or alignment to each other are too far off, it could cause binding. Maybe they're intersecting each other rather than staying parallel? As far as unbinding when rolled in reverse but not forward, maybe the torque on the axle when rolled backwards is twisting the axle and undoing the bind, opposed to forward "reinforcing" it?

Last edited by smc-93; 03-17-2021 at 09:27 PM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yep, I think you’re spot on regarding it un-binding when rolled back.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:56 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Hard to tell from the pics, just throwing out a guess... Sounds like the shock is catching the chassis or binding in the upper mount. When the suspension compresses, the axle moves laterally slightly and the shock might not like it. Add a washer or small spacer to the panhard to move the axle over slightly, or use a small spacer in the upper shock mount so it doesn't hang up.

With a panhard, the axles in only really perfectly centered at the midpoint of the extension (or wherever you tune it to be, should be centered at static ride height) At full extension looking at the chassis from the front, the shocks should have a slight lean in 1 direction, and at full compression they should lean slightly the opposite way. Just the natural course of things as the panhard swings through its arc.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Stumped! Suggestions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stumped zombieghost RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 09-06-2013 12:48 AM
I am stumped smokediver Axial SCX-10 2 03-10-2013 09:09 PM
i'm stumped scx10mudder Axial SCX-10 8 01-22-2011 10:41 AM
Got me stumped.... Eritex Inc. Electronics 13 06-08-2009 05:13 PM
ok im stumped! STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 13 06-21-2006 09:21 PM