Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: BT’s TF2 LWB LC70 Center Mount Motor/Trans Project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2021, 11:21 AM   #1

Default BT’s TF2 LWB LC70 Center Mount Motor/Trans Project.

3/24/2021

I’ve already assembled the TF2 LWB Chassis as it comes stock with some minor differences.

- I took the internal springs out of the shocks but put just enough oil in them so they aren’t dry.

- I took the bottom smallest springs out of the leafs so they’re softer.

- I didn’t attach the sliders, bumpers, and fuel/esc box.

I plan on not using the stock R3 2spd transmission the TF2 comes with because I don’t like that it’s not center mounted. I found a Xtra Speed 2spd transmission to mount instead. I know they have the R4 single speed but I want the 2speed in addition to being center mounted. The engine mount hole pattern looks to be the same on the Xtra Speed as the R4 so I ordered the R4 mount and I’ll update to show if it works.

I’ll be attaching a DinkyRC Stealth battery/micro servo mount in the rear between the frame rails that’s why I left out the fuel cell esc box and cross members. I’ll be running 3s 2200mah batteries. I’ve asked to have the front part of the battery holder mirrored so I can mount the shift micro servo on the left hand side opposed to the right for the xtra speed 2spd transmission, as its opposite to the R3.

Aside from that the microservo I’ll be using is the Power HD TR-4 waterproof.

The steering servo Spektrum’s S6250.

Receiver and Transmitter FlySky FS-GT5

The body is Killerbody’s LC70 with the hood, cockpit, and doors kit. I’ll be swapping the bed for RC4WD’s silver Kober wood flatbed. The cab will be primed with Surface Primer (L) painted Tamiya’s TS-88 Titanium Silver. Under the Grill will be TS-29 Semi Gloss black. I’ll also paint the snorkel and front wheel fenders so they don’t have that plastic shine. All finished with TS-13. The cab is sanded I just have to do the doors and hood. I won’t be sure if I’ll have to to the bed. I won’t if the kober bed fits.

I got their silver bumper upgrade as well. I want to mount a Warn winch to it. I used Tamiya TS-13 to seal the LightFORCE decals to the lenses.

The wheels are RC4WD’s 1.55” Stamped Yota Wheels with the GoodYear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure 1.9” tires scale hex bolts, and RC4WD’s rear scale hubs on all 4 wheels.

I’ll either mount a Hobbywing Fusion 1200kv motor ESC combo; or a Mamba x with The HolmesHobby Stubby motor 1200kv. It might likely be the latter.

I have some scale hex head bolts I’ll be swapping on everything instead of using allen heads.

I’ll post further updates later on. I might be getting the XtraSpeed Transmission today I’ll let everyone know if the R4 motor mount works with it. I haven’t found any resources on it so I would like to provide info. Same with the Kober bed. It works with an older RC4WD LC70 body but I’m not sure if it works with the Killerbody one. Some trimming may have to be done as there is a lip behind the cab for the beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BryceTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: BT’s TF2 LWB LC70 Center Mount Motor/Trans Project.

Nice. I have a lwb tf2 as well and put a fusion 1800kv in it. You will like the fusion. Nice little unit and is superrrrrrr smooothhhh
djr01974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr01974 View Post
Nice. I have a lwb tf2 as well and put a fusion 1800kv in it. You will like the fusion. Nice little unit and is superrrrrrr smooothhhh

I’ve heard a lot of good things about it but because the trans will be center mounted I won’t know if I’ll have room for the steering servo until I mount it. I’m going to mount the servo perpendicular opposed to parallel to the frame rails. So that’s why I’m thinking of using a mamba x with the Holmes Hobby Stubby I’ll just have to locate the esc somewhere. I’ll save whatever I don’t use on my next build. I want to have most everything under the hood. I’ll make the engine bay more scale later on.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You most definitely have my attention. That front bumper setup is gorgeous!
addiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #5

3/24/2021

Update #1

I got the Kober LC70 bed in today, all metal. Also painted the body pieces. I painted the snorkel, steps, and side steps because I thought it would look a little better than just the black/grey plastics. I used Tamiya paints their fine primer, titanium silver, semi matte black, and their clear coat. I’ll start assembling the doors hood and cab tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #6

Coming along! Good luck getting the Warn winch into the bumper. Some people have made it fit but you will need to cut the winch up a great deal and the bumper to make it happen. Its really to bad because that winch looks great and it would really be great to see it. I ended up just using the roller fairlead and mounting a servo winch mid chassie with brake line to the front for "cable" routing. The winch that fits is the super generic units off ebay and amazon.
mach2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:11 PM   #7

4-5-2021

Mounted up the Dinky RC Stealth Battery mount. The owner was very kind and flipped the front piece so the servo could be on the other side. He also made a longer servo shaft for the lwb.

I also mounted a Xtra Speed 3spd Transmission. I used the motor mounts for the r3 motor mount parts but I think I’ll have to make custom mounts out of l brackets to get it a smidge higher. I got a Holmes hobby 1200kv motor on it. I also swapped the servo so it’s towards the front because I didn’t quite have the clearance even with the stubby. Which is a spektrum S6250.

The center mounted motor also fits really well between the space provided by the Killerbody Cab Upgrade.

I’ll need to get some drive shafts and I need to put the door kits together. They came warped and I kindof busted them up so I need to either repair or get a whole new door kit. I’ll also need to make a skid plate for the transfer case to mount to. I’m really excited to see how things are coming along.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

That's a great looking build! I love the color choice and how you painted to front bumper to match. Keep up the amazing work.
ToyotaKing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKing88 View Post
That's a great looking build! I love the color choice and how you painted to front bumper to match. Keep up the amazing work.

Thanks I appreciate it! The bumper is from Killerbody as well and it comes in either the silver or black, I got the silver. Funds are getting a little tight this month so it’ll be a crawl to get this finished.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I know the feeling, I have a small construction business and the prices of lumber have been killing me. The xtra speed transmission you got I noticed you said it was a 3 speed how are you liking it? What are the ratios like on it?
ToyotaKing88 is offline   Reply With Quote

BT’s TF2 LWB LC70 Center Mount Motor/Trans Project. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leo's workshop RC4WD TF2 LWB with LC70 leowrc 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 08-20-2018 03:08 AM
2mtech's TF2 LWB LC70 build 2mtech RC4WD Trail Finder 2 20 09-19-2017 09:40 PM
My first tf2 - lwb lc70 Fatman489 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 13 06-17-2017 03:42 AM