Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: SLN’s Marlin.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN’s Marlin.

Hey y’all, wasn’t gonna do a thread, but figured hey why not lol. Plus, I’d like to document this truck as I go like I have with previous trucks.

Plans are as follows:
Remove a leaf from all 4 corners
O-ring mod
Shock mod

Eventually I will do the chino mod, but I want to see how it does in this form. Everything feels silky smooth, so I won’t be taking it apart and shimming right away.

I know we’ve all seen a Marlin, but here’s a picture.

Definitely plan on De-Marlinizing it lol.

Instagram: Island_crawlaz
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SLN’s Marlin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Definitely plan on De-Marlinizing it lol.
Easy there... don’t disrespect the Legend!

I met Marlin once, he was picking up a 3rz from me in the circus circus parking lot. One hell of a guy.

All kidding aside, sweet truck man! Look forward to seeing what you do with it.
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:29 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Easy there... don’t disrespect the Legend!

I met Marlin once, he was picking up a 3rz from me in the circus circus parking lot. One hell of a guy.

All kidding aside, sweet truck man! Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

I apologize Marlin! Lol.
That’s awesome you got to meet him in person!

Thanks, I’ve got some big plans for this. Although I’m not sure if I want to set it up for C1 or not...

Old 05-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Awesome pickup! If I keep reading these Marlin threads I won't be able to resist opening mine up!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Awesome pickup! If I keep reading these Marlin threads I won't be able to resist opening mine up!

Dude, open er up! It’s an awesome rig!

Old 05-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN’s Marlin.

After my first run, I am very impressed with it. It went everywhere my 10ii would go. Not as easily, but definitely more fun.

I took the smallest helper leaf out, internal spring on the shocks came out, and I put o-rings on the screws for the leafs. Don’t think I’m going to do the chino mod, it flexes enough as it sits.

The stock tires surprised me how well they hook up. I didn’t think they’d hook up that good since they are a little stiff.

The only thing I’m not impressed with is the wheel speed. Granted I was using the RTR 6-cell battery, so maybe it’ll be better on 2S. If not, I’ll order up TrailMaster.

Now I’m so torn on if I want to set it up for C1 or as a tow rig.

I think this may be my new favorite truck...

Old 05-19-2021, 06:19 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Congrats! So nice and shiny red!

I too was surprised out how well the stock tires are. I've often thought about changing mine out, but just can't do it. They work so good!

Wheel speed is lacking in stock form, but after I added a HW 1080 ESC, better motor and a 3S battery, it really woke up.

Just keep an eye out for loose screws. Mine did not have any Loctite on any of the screws and I found a few screws that were loose when I took it out of the box.

Looking forward to seeing what you have planned for Marlin!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Congrats! So nice and shiny red!

I too was surprised out how well the stock tires are. I've often thought about changing mine out, but just can't do it. They work so good!

Wheel speed is lacking in stock form, but after I added a HW 1080 ESC, better motor and a 3S battery, it really woke up.

Just keep an eye out for loose screws. Mine did not have any Loctite on any of the screws and I found a few screws that were loose when I took it out of the box.

Looking forward to seeing what you have planned for Marlin!

I already changed my tires out lol. Threw some 3.85” TSL Predators. More for looks lol. I’ll grab some pictures later.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Loctite on quite a few screws. I haven’t added any Loctite yet though.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN’s Marlin.

Got the new wheels and tires glued. 3.85” TSL Predators on 1.55” Gearhead Krushers. Gives a little bit of poke, but not crazy. More stock look which is what I was going for.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 05-22-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Tires and wheels look awesome. What kinda wheels are they?
Haha. Just noticed Gearhead Krushers

Last edited by DirtBug; 05-20-2021 at 09:47 AM.
DirtBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Looks great!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for posting pics of Pro-line's new 1.55 TSL's. Was wondering how they would look on a Marlin and you cleared that up. Looks nice
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Looks great!

Thanks Soze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerj View Post
Thanks for posting pics of Pro-line's new 1.55 TSL's. Was wondering how they would look on a Marlin and you cleared that up. Looks nice

Thank you, and glad I could help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBug View Post
Tires and wheels look awesome. What kinda wheels are they?
Haha. Just noticed Gearhead Krushers

Thanks, picked them up 2nd hand and whoever glued them did horrible so I took them apart a reglued. They’ve been sitting and now they finally have a home

Old 05-21-2021, 02:58 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I need body color ideas. I just can’t justify this red. Open to basically whatever other than weathered schemes.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

If you paint under the body black it really darkens that red to a much nicer color. I hated the bright kinda transparent color and once I put some flat black underneath it really made it look more real. A couple of my friends actually thought I bought a real truck when I posted a pic of it at the beach.

Nice truck and ideas for your project, my marlin's axles can't be shimmed and I think anything newer probably won't either. I added new bevel gears in the front after I stripped them on 2S with a stock ridgecrest motor (axial 20T). This combo is more than enough wheel speed to fling light mud a few inches over the cab and do doughnuts in the dirt, right before it flips.

Best mods I put on so far are the A&M garage front bumper, skid and anti wrap bar. All 3 together really settled the truck down and made it crawl so much better. I don't get hung up on rocks anyome and just glide over them and the rear bar you can basically just run the main leaf without fearing it'll twist like a noodle. The front shackle reversal with +4mm WB makes it way more controlled when you climb as the front tires move back when the suspension compresses instead of pushing the truck backwards a bit.

Can't wait to see what you do with your bud.
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:16 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benster View Post
If you paint under the body black it really darkens that red to a much nicer color. I hated the bright kinda transparent color and once I put some flat black underneath it really made it look more real. A couple of my friends actually thought I bought a real truck when I posted a pic of it at the beach.

Nice truck and ideas for your project, my marlin's axles can't be shimmed and I think anything newer probably won't either. I added new bevel gears in the front after I stripped them on 2S with a stock ridgecrest motor (axial 20T). This combo is more than enough wheel speed to fling light mud a few inches over the cab and do doughnuts in the dirt, right before it flips.

Best mods I put on so far are the A&M garage front bumper, skid and anti wrap bar. All 3 together really settled the truck down and made it crawl so much better. I don't get hung up on rocks anyome and just glide over them and the rear bar you can basically just run the main leaf without fearing it'll twist like a noodle. The front shackle reversal with +4mm WB makes it way more controlled when you climb as the front tires move back when the suspension compresses instead of pushing the truck backwards a bit.

Can't wait to see what you do with your bud.

Thanks man! I can’t wait to reveal my big plans!

I’ll probably start with flat black and go from there. I’m thinking a deep blue would look good. Part of me wants to weather, and the other half wants to keep it a nice daily driver. Lol.

I was going to get the skid when I ordered the truck, but I don’t plan on taking it to its limits, so I’ll wait on that. But who knows lol, we have a comp coming up this Sept. so maybe I’ll set it up for C1

Old 05-22-2021, 11:54 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN’s Marlin.

Bent the rear leafs on my last run lol. So, I figured I’d solve that problem now before I put the connector on for my Lipos. They look really good IMO. I did 1 on each side to replicate actual traction bars rather than just one in the middle. Took some Radom stuff out of my parts bin and made them work. I’ll get some pics tomorrow, too dark to get outside pictures because I’m sure y’all are tired of workbench pics lol.

About 2 hours of work/finding stuff to make it fit. Went through tons of variations and mounting positions. But, it was completely free and they’ll help tremendously.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:50 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Bent the rear leafs on my last run lol. So, I figured I’d solve that problem now before I put the connector on for my Lipos. They look really good IMO. I did 1 on each side to replicate actual traction bars rather than just one in the middle. Took some Radom stuff out of my parts bin and made them work. I’ll get some pics tomorrow, too dark to get outside pictures because I’m sure y’all are tired of workbench pics lol.

About 2 hours of work/finding stuff to make it fit. Went through tons of variations and mounting positions. But, it was completely free and they’ll help tremendously.
Have you put a shackle of some sort at the frame ends? These trucks love to move the axle around when the suspension flexes. If you only have a solid bar you'll probably be losing a good 40-50% flex I would guess.
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:26 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benster View Post
Have you put a shackle of some sort at the frame ends? These trucks love to move the axle around when the suspension flexes. If you only have a solid bar you'll probably be losing a good 40-50% flex I would guess.

Nope. The two servo horns I used have a little movement, but I like the stiffness. It will be lot better for pulling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2021, 04:29 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Yota turned F350. Got tons planned, just not sure when I’ll get to it lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SLN’s Marlin. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SLN’s Axial Experience ScaleLifeNewbie Axial SCX10 II 168 06-26-2021 03:12 PM
SLN’s Bruiser Build ScaleLifeNewbie Paint and Body 17 05-31-2021 04:25 PM
My Marlin and Me Chiphead RC4WD Trail Finder 2 14 11-16-2018 09:24 AM
New Marlin Crawler & Marlin crawler black edition J55TTC Scale Videos! 0 11-05-2017 12:35 PM
Got Marlin? J55TTC Scale Videos! 0 11-04-2017 02:40 PM