Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: My 1st RC4WD TF2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #1

Default My 1st RC4WD TF2

Going to have a Trail Finder 2 for the 1st time. I ordered the midnight edition.
What are some things I should know and do when I get my new trail truck?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
MrCataract is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My 1st RC4WD TF2

Here are some great places to start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4rtpjY4fAw

Also, I would say avoid the trap of buying the red leaf springs. It seems to be the case that everyone who does eventually makes a video or posts a review online about how they warp and snap very quickly. I have been running my TF2 for two plus years on the stock leafs (Marlin Crawler edition) and they're well-broken in and work great.

TF2s are an experience, for sure. You have to know what you're getting into. It's my favorite chassis platform, even knowing it will never flex like a TRX4 or SCX10. It's an awesome "down to earth" kinda rig for those of us who just want "a truck".
addiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiemonster View Post
Here are some great places to start!

Also, I would say avoid the trap of buying the red leaf springs. It seems to be the case that everyone who does eventually makes a video or posts a review online about how they warp and snap very quickly. I have been running my TF2 for two plus years on the stock leafs (Marlin Crawler edition) and they're well-broken in and work great.

TF2s are an experience, for sure. You have to know what you're getting into. It's my favorite chassis platform, even knowing it will never flex like a TRX4 or SCX10. It's an awesome "down to earth" kinda rig for those of us who just want "a truck".
Thanks! I've owned a few trx4's, they're fun but just something about them I just didn't really connect with and I think it was all the plastic, and lack of scale looks and feel. Plus the Toyota Hilux is one of my favorite trucks, just looks spectacular!

Old 06-21-2021, 07:12 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Oh! I also remembered something very important while I was at work.

CHECK THE PLAY OF YOUR DIFF PINIONS!!!!!

I munched two rear diff pinions in my Marlin Crawler before I realized sometimes you need to shim them. I have two other TF2s and they were perfectly meshed, but my first TF2 had a really really sloppy rear diff pinion which eventually led to it being munched twice. Considering a diff gear set is about $35, buying a cheap pack of shims and taking ten minutes to do the job is deffo worth the effort!

The part number for the shims I used are: Z-S1559

5mm x 9mm x 0.3mm axle shims. Absolute life savers! You might not need them, but if you have any in and out play in your diff pinions, deffo order a bag. Way cheaper and quicker a job than a new set of diff gears!
Old 06-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Oh! I also remembered something very important while I was at work.

CHECK THE PLAY OF YOUR DIFF PINIONS!!!!!

I munched two rear diff pinions in my Marlin Crawler before I realized sometimes you need to shim them. I have two other TF2s and they were perfectly meshed, but my first TF2 had a really really sloppy rear diff pinion which eventually led to it being munched twice. Considering a diff gear set is about $35, buying a cheap pack of shims and taking ten minutes to do the job is deffo worth the effort!

The part number for the shims I used are: Z-S1559

5mm x 9mm x 0.3mm axle shims. Absolute life savers! You might not need them, but if you have any in and out play in your diff pinions, deffo order a bag. Way cheaper and quicker a job than a new set of diff gears!
Thats a fantastic heads up! Thank you very much. Be the first thing I check out of the box!

Old 06-22-2021, 06:20 AM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

Congrats! The TF2's are fun rigs to wheel and give a different experience with the leaf spring setup.

You will also want to check that all screws are tightened and they have loctite on them. I had many screws on my Marlin that were loose and none of them had loctite when I took it out of the box. Luckily, I always tear down my RTR's when I first get them to check that they are put together correctly and that they are greased properly.

Here is a link to my Marlin build if you would like to see what I did to mine when I pulled it out of the box: B-MOW buys a TF2 Marlin Crawler
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've never owned one but I'm likely to in the future, enjoy.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Congrats! The TF2's are fun rigs to wheel and give a different experience with the leaf spring setup.

You will also want to check that all screws are tightened and they have loctite on them. I had many screws on my Marlin that were loose and none of them had loctite when I took it out of the box. Luckily, I always tear down my RTR's when I first get them to check that they are put together correctly and that they are greased properly.

Here is a link to my Marlin build if you would like to see what I did to mine when I pulled it out of the box: B-MOW buys a TF2 Marlin Crawler
Thanks, ill most definitely check it out. Want avoid as many problems as I can.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #9

I'm at work, got a notification on my phone "your package has been delivered " . Damn my new tf2 is waiting for me and I'm stuck at work. Going to be a long day of anticipation waiting to get into that box and check out my new rig!

Old 06-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the family I own a regular tf2 , a Marlin crawler , desert runner and the cross country . In my opinion Rc4wd is one of the best RCs out there
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I did a load of mods to my marlin TF2 and it’s my favourite truck. It doesn’t flex as much as others but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t perform well.

Inner fender install here: https://youtu.be/Wg8xjRMWRUQ

Helps keep the mud out.

Motor drop, although you won’t want to do this until it’s been abused a bit but it does help with performance

https://youtu.be/mwdd1I_Foys
J55TTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #12

This thing is BADA$$! all I've done is take it out of the box and im in love with it!

Old 06-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the TF2 club! They are a lot of fun to both build to your liking and enjoy. Agree with addiemonster good place to start is the tricks in the video
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Nice! I would just go to the "sticky" posts on this page. Since the TF2 has been around for over 10 years you won't find any real new innovative mods in the last few years.
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #15

Loving this truck so far! Already know a few things I want to do to it.

Old 06-25-2021, 04:07 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Cheapest and easiest mod is to remove the springs that are in the shocks . Let’s the leafs do the work and softens the suspension a lil
I do it on all my trucks
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:36 PM   #17

Ordered a Hobbywing Fusion 1800kv for it, going to replace the stock rx/tx with my Spektrum dx5c setup, ive went through the whole truck and loctited everything, checked the axles and transmission to make sure they were well greased. I did all the leaf spring suggestions from SBG's leaf spring video. Took the springs out of the shocks.
I'm enjoying this truck alot, this is going to quickly become the 1st rig i grab when i go out.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCataract View Post
I'm enjoying this truck alot, this is going to quickly become the 1st rig i grab when i go out.
I have so many rigs, and my green TF2 is still my first choice. I couldn't stand to part with any of my current fleet, but if I had to choose only one to keep it would absolutely be one of my TF2s!
Old 06-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #19

Quote:
I have so many rigs, and my green TF2 is still my first choice. I couldn't stand to part with any of my current fleet, but if I had to choose only one to keep it would absolutely be one of my TF2s!

thats the very reason i bought a tf2. everyone that owns one has said the same about it. you hear that many people praise a rig the way the tf2 is, had no choice but to get myself one.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:43 PM   #20
RCC Addict

People either love or hate the TF2, personally I love mine, I have 4 of them lol, I don't think you should have to go over a brand new RC when you get it for what you pay and I think RC4wd could do a better job, screws should be thread locked, diffs should be shimmed correctly. If you go over your new rig and loctite metal to metal contact points and check the diffs these are great! These are not rock crawlers these are trail rigs, I think that's where the hate and disappointment comes from. I love how these trucks drive and react to the terrain, more realistic and scale. Don't get me wrong, I love all my other rigs but for trailing these are my favorites.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote

My 1st RC4WD TF2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TF2 1st Run Fishcharger Scale Videos! 0 09-22-2017 02:35 PM